16 March 2018

Friday Follies...
Welcome to the weekend at last...or as we could also call it - "St Patrick's Day Eve"...lol.
Hard to believe we're already at this point of the year, and yet...here we are.
If you like your mornings a bit on the frosty side, then today will fit the bill.
Our Hoosierland weather for today finds us with mostly sunny skies to start with, turning more cloudy as the day passes, with a high expected to be around 41 degrees. Got some "wintry-mix" stuff moving in overnight into tomorrow morning (oh, joy).
"It's called Guinness, Thor...pretty good, huh?"
So, why not start the day with a nice big mug or glass of Friday Fortitude, as we see what's going on elsewhere...
*** First out of the shamrock patch is our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
MARCH 16 -
---It's National Artichoke Hearts Day
(sorry, but I NEVER eat anything with the word "choke" in it...for safety reasons)
---It's National Everything You Do Is Right Day
(that makes up for yesterday, I suppose)
---It's National Freedom of Information Day
(wish that included all the REDACTED crap)
---It's National Panda Day
(where's my eucalyptus and bamboo?)
*** Next, and since the end of the week IS here, let's see what we can observe over the following 48 hours...
MARCH 17 -
---Saturday is St. Patrick's Day
(or, in some circles, just ANOTHER day to get falling down drunk)
---It's National Corndog Day
(sorry, never liked these at all - I'm a traditionalist when it comes to hot dogs.
---It's National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day
(gee, I wonder why THAT is? I best ask an Irishman)
---It's National Quilting Day
(gotta have something to do after that green beer, corned beef and cabbage, right?)
MARCH 18 -
---Sunday is National Awkward Moments Day
(it's called a HANGOVER from St. Paddy's Day)
---It's National Biodiesel Day
(when is national VIN diesel day?)
---It's National Lacy Oatmeal Cookie Day
(never met an oatmeal cookie I didn't like)
---It's National Sloppy Joe Day
(would you believe Wifey does NOT like these?)
---It's National Supreme Sacrifice Day
(I thought we called that MEMORIAL day?)
And there you have it...plenty to do (besides tying one on), so have at it, and do rememeber to observe responsibly.
*** Next up, Bill O'Reilly had a very good column this week, and here it is:
https://www.billoreilly.com/b/Shape-Up/161661103878844712.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=staff_column
This is an excellent commentary on the further degradation of our society's values, and who would have thought such things can take place at a funeral?
My father used to remind me to dress appropriately for whatever venue you find yourself, because people will judge you by the way you dress (as well as what you say)...and he was right on that one, too.
*** Next, News-Sentinel columnist Kevin Leininger has another good article. Here's the link:
http://www.news-sentinel.com/news/local-news/2018/03/15/kevin-leininger-heres-one-more-thing-to-blame-on-global-warming-allen-countys-ratpocalypse/
Now, I thought I left this sort of stuff back in Philly, but apparently, as cities grow (and get larger minority populations), this sort of thing just HAS to follow.
I don't like rats, and you'll not see me trying to feed them or befriend them, and with good reason - they are major disease carriers. I feel the same way with possum and raccoon.
Other people feel much the same about squirrels, but I've never come across any that were NOT friendly (like Patches or Mr. Wrinkles). If a squirrel doesn't act in a good way, I avoid it...simple as that. Same with people.
Not THIS kind of rat
They used to joke back east that you never had to worry about stray dogs in the inner city, because the rats eat them all. I have seen city rats LARGER than out community cat, Midnight,....no shit!
Read back into history, and you'll get the gist of this quite well.
*** Next up, another "21 Country" spot from Eric Olson that I found remarkable, and when you watch the video (which pertain to our city of Fort Wayne), you'll know why soon enough. Here's the link:
http://www.wpta21.com/story/37734501/quick-before-its-gone
This is NOT that easy to do.
Being a photographer myself (of trains in the past), I can appreciate the "eye" that Dan Baker has when it comes to not only capturing pictures of our city, but melding the present with the past in a way that should make us all realize what we HAD in this city, and what we are loosing every year.
He's working on a book, and one which I would be most interested in buying.
*** Next, time to stop on by "Kitten Corner"...
So peaceful...so cute.
Our kids were getting back into "normal" mode, and that means less crazy, more sedate. And I can work with sedate.
It just becomes bothersome when you have to "herd" two cats, because they're acting like THIRTY cats...lol.
"I COULD use a belly-rub".
Having them crawl up into your lap always, or just act cute hits that "soft spot" in your heart...I think they PLANNED it that way.
(it's called sucking up...and by God, it works...!)
*** Next up, let's check back in with "Midnight and Company"...
"Why yes, this is OUR patio, too."
Our furry twosome were outside nice and early, waiting for breakfast. Both of them didn't miss a meal, and whenever I go onto the patio, there they both are. We always have a good time at last call, when they both not only get the hand-held treats, but some "laser play".
I iz all lasered-out, now."
They have to run off that food anyway, right?
Somehow, it wouldn't be a morning without seeing them on the patio...
*** Last back to the pot o' gold...tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day.
And it's a day when I change my name (for 24 hours) to Bobby McG...LOL.
Now, if you need a refresher course on what the day is REALLY all about, here's the WIKI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick%27s_Day
St.Patrick led quite an interesting life, and this explains HIS history, as well as our traditions, observances, and customs around the world.
What I always like to do here, is leave you with a traditional St. Patrick's Day prayer (and I'm not even Irish, unless you count that transfusion I had as a child during an operation...lol.
May the Strength of God pilot us.
May the Power of God preserve us.
May the Wisdom of God instruct us.
May the Hand of God protect us.
May the Way of God direct us.
May the Shield of God defend us.
May the Host of God guard us
Against the snares of the evil ones,
Against temptations of the world.
May Christ be with us!
May Christ be before us!
May Christ be in us,
Christ be over all!
May Thy Salvation, Lord,
Always be ours,
This day, O Lord, and evermore. Amen.
Do have yourselves a good weekend.
Be well, make a difference to someone today, and as always...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Well, I see I haven't been here yet once again. Gimme just a second, and I'll show up.

Days: No interest in artichokes, and had a similar discussion on brussels sprouts on FB yesterday.

Blew the everything right deal, but who doesn't?

St Paddys was no big deal here, just a bottle of GM.


You and me on hot dogs.

I'll be better on Awkward Monday, I'm sure.

I'll take D's sloppy joe!

**********************

As dumb as I am fashion wise, I would never not even attempt to be presentable. That's not "lack of forethought", that's lack of RESPECT.


You can blame the weather on rats all you want. I have seen several examples of people leaving their garbage bags at their front door "to take to the dumpster in the morning", only to have them taken by wind or animals and ripped up. Lazy people make rat restaurants.


I understand Mrs McG was in all her regalia at Krogers today... You should be warned one of my co-workers did the same thing at work Friday.

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---Time travel can be a bugger once in a while...lol.
---Every Monday seems awkward these days...
---I love sloppy joes (toss in some hot sauce and they get even better!)
---Yeah, Dad said something along those lines as well...amazing how RESEPCT keeps coming into play.
---Yeah, here in Hoosierland, you have more possum and raccoon thievery going on.
(I think the weather thing was tongue-in-cheek...or it should be)
---Again, it comes down to PEOPLE, and the way THEY act that begs for the actions of the critters. I see half-eaten food tossed around here at least several times a week.
(If you weren't that hungry, why the hell did you BUY IT?)
People breed rats more than they breed themselves.
---Good Lord...that was a hoot. I told our Kroger friend (another Bob - there's 3 of us total) there that "she's about as IRISH as MUSSOLINI"...!
(had a good laugh over that one)

Hey, thanks for stopping by to comment.

Stay safe (Scrappy wants a walk today) up there, brother.