13 January 2007

A Ray Of Hope....

No, it's not the title to another STAR WARS episode....just an observation regarding something near (too damn close mostly) and dear (as in trying to understand stupidity when it's masquerading as diversity) to my heart.
The new fireworks law that went into effect LAST year is going to be tweaked (that'll match a lot of the "neighbors" in my neighborhood). Actually, this is going to be a DRASTIC change in the laws regarding fireworks....and about damn time, too. Last year's law was a sham, plain and simple.

In Philly, the ONLY legal "fireworks" anyone can have without a license or permit are SPARKLERS....period. Of course you can always drive into NJ and grab some of the "good $hit", but if you're caught back in Philly with them...it's "off to the hoosegow"!
Here in Indiana (as of 2006), they've allowed those MEGA rockets to be shot off almost ANY day of the calendar year....(yeah, I love celebrating BOXER DAY with some Roman Candles and Pershing 2 missiles...don't you?). And a lot of people are cheesed off over this. Seems the NOISE and potential for fires and injuries are making some folks a bit antsy...and deservedly so. Let's face it...how many people do YOU know who are certified to handle pyrotechnic material? I didn't think so.

I've seen all too often, irresponsible people setting off these "scud-busters" in the middle of the damn street (with traffic passing by). And since my neighborhood is largely black-raced, guess who is doing all the stupid crap? Right again. Now I like setting off a few small firecrackers (can I say the "C" word in tis context?), but I'd much rather go see a FREE show set off by EXPERTS, and not some drunked or drugged-up homeboys trying to intimidate everyone within 3 city blocks. They do enough of that already JUST be driving and walking around the area.

But I digress...

The "New" new law will severely limit the detonation (and that's what you do to them...DETONATE) of large fireworks to SPECIFIC days, such as New Years' Eve and the 4th of July. The rest of the year is going to be taboo. I for one could not be happier. I've seen small children in too close a proximity to these "bunker-busters" to make me feel at ease. I guess the "parents" think it's OK to place these kids at risk. I'm not even related to them, but I DON'T think it's OK...so sue me.

Not to mention that this bill (when passed) would also cut down the number of people injured or maimed by improper use of this type of "ordinance". Any way you shake it, it's a win-win, except for those selling the fireworks (oh, well boo-frigging hoo). This is one of those "serving the greater good of the populace" moments, and I'm ecstatic over it.

Now I would say that I would just love to have a few bricks of C-4 or some thermite grenades just to get rid of some of my blight in my area. We've got too many empty houses that have had no one in them for YEARS, and these are prime areas for doing drugs, prostitution, and even arson. Any decent citizen wouldn't want to put up with that for such a long period of time.

But in any event, the "new" new law should take care of a plethora of problems created when the (old) new law was enacted last year. Of course the fire departments might not receive all the funds they were initially promised (from last year's law), but they'll manage well with grants and such anyway. So, they're not going to be hurting.

And that might even make MY neighborhood a bit more tolerable.

I suppose I just need some more ROOM TO DREAM...!

No comments: