05 January 2007

THIS Is What I'm Talking About...

The man, dubbed the "Subway Superman" in NYC, 50 year old Wesley Autrey has received a nice "thank you" for his heroic efforts Tuesday, when he saw a man (Cameron Hollopeter) stumble and fall onto the subway tracks. Without regard for his own life, and with a train fast approaching, Mr. Autrey jumped down and grabbed the stunned man, rolling them both into a grimy narrow trough between the tracks just as a train was nearing their station. The train screeched to a stop over them, missing both men by mere inches.

Mr. Autrey, a construction worker and a USN Vietnam veteran, shouted to the people on the platform as the train rolled to a stop: "Tell my two daugters I'm OK...we're both OK". Apparently, Mr. Hollopeter had suffered two seizures and wound up with only minor scrapes and bruises. Mr. Autrey was unharmed, but he did confess that "My blue hat got dirty". The mayor of NYC awarded Mr. Autrey with the Bronze Medallion - the highest award a citizen of the city can receive. Mr. Autrey was also given a check for $5000 from the N.Y. Film Academy that Cameron Hollopeter, age 20 attends, as well as scholarships for his two daughters, (ages 4 and 6) when they are old enough

I watched Mr. Autrey on David Letterman last night, and he's around my age. That alone said to me he was brought up in the "old school" manner. He saw a situation, made a decision and saved a life. And he did it selflessly the other day by his actions. To put it plainly...other people have VALUE.
(THAT is EXACTLY the kind of people we need around MY neighborhood!)

"I don't feel like I did anything spectacular...I just saw someone who needed help...and I did what I felt was right", stated Mr. Autrey. He was at his job later that night as well.

The world sorely needs MORE people like Wesley Autrey.

A ROLE MODEL? Sure as hell looks like one to me!

A HERO? Damn straight!

Now THAT is "fifteen minutes" (of fame) that is worth EVERY SECOND!

1 comment:

Jana said...

As someone who also suffers from seizures, this story touched me personally.

Thank you Mr. Autrey for being a heroic and kind human being. Not only is Mr. Hollopeter lucky to have you there are the right place at the right time, but New York City is also honored to have a man like you living there.