31 October 2007

A "Spooktacular" Humpday...
We're going to be running the gamut of emotional content today, so buckle up...it's the (ridiculous) law.

On a sad note:
Grammy-winning singer/actor Robert Goulet has died awaiting a lung transplant in California. He was 73 years old. Most noted for his portrayal of Sir Lancelot in the musical CAMELOT, I remember him best for his various TV appearances as I was growing up. Watching him on all those variety shows such as Ed Sullivan, belting out Broadway and popular tunes was something my whole family took time out to view. Many younger people might recall him in more recent fare (movies) such as The Naked Gun 2 1/2, or even Beetlejuice.
I always thought if he EVER wanted to get rid of any monogrammed items, I could take them off his hands...we share the SAME initials (AND first name). He died of a rare form of pulmonary fibrosis and had quit smoking over 15 years ago.
And although the voice is now silent...the songs will go on.
Thanks, Bob!

Henry-Kelty Debate:

This one went better (imho) than the last one, with both candidates seeming more "at ease", but I will have to admit that the grammatical mistakes and faux-pas were simply a train wreck. They could both use some polishing in that area. The content of what they said was good. I only have two points of contention:
1) Henry wanting to form another (regional) council for economic development (not smaller government by any stretch of the imagination).
2) Kelty not answering the south side issue to "my" complete satisfaction (although his answer did make sense regarding the city as a whole (not a "hole", as in financial pit). Aside from that, I think that many voters might be more undecided than before. Time will tell.

Tongue in Cheek Time:
Oh, no...it's Trick Or Treat Time, and aside from watching GARFIELD'S HALLOWEEN ADVENTURE on the trusty (Beta) VCR (the DVD hasn't arrived yet, so sue me) with a refreshing beverage, I'm not doing one blessed thing else. Those kids can knock until their knuckles chafe.
And in that vein, I dug up part of the post from LAST HALLOWEEN in case you've forgotten the "rules of engagement". Since I don't plan to participate, feel free to apply AS MANY OF THESE as is pertinent to YOUR particular situation when the "Beg-A-Thoners" stop on by.
Rule #1: You show up WITHOUT a costume....you have TWO choices:
a) You can just turn around and LEAVE, or (my favorite) ...
b) Show me you're WORTHY of my free candy WITHOUT a costume by jumping through the FLAMING HOOPS I have set up on my lawn, OK? If the folks can't blow TEN bucks to get you SOME kind of costume (and dressing in mom's old clothes could bring up gender confusion issues, even though it's FREE), then just spend TWO bucks for some of your OWN candy (**hint: after the 31st, ALL the HALLOWEEN candy is 50% OFF...check Walgreens and CVS)!
Rule #2:
If you're OLDER than say....12 years old, you better either have a DAMN GOOD (original) costume, or you better have the mental state of a 3 year old. Either one will get you treats! Anything else will get you a front door closed in your pre-pubescent face! If you're THAT old...just stop at Lassus Handy-Dandy and grab a bag of M&Ms for yourself, lazy-ass!
Rule #3:
Face paint ALONE does NOT a costume make....Even SOLDIERS wear a UNIFORM WITH their face paint, and Indians have horses and head-dresses.....so...NO horse, NO head-dress...NO treats, Kimosabi!
Rule #4:
If you are coming to my house on Halloween with a BUNCH of friends...be advised, I WILL be "packing" (to politely dissuade you from a home invasion)!
Rule #5:
Don't try taking a "short cut" across MY lawn to cross the street (the barbed wire and punji sticks I have up will do a real number on your legs and feet...trust me)! Better to stay ON the sidewalk that the city provided with your parents' tax dollars!.
Rule #6:
DO NOT show up at the house as a ZOMBIE, LIVING-DEAD person, or some sort of analogous entity. If I EVER want to see the living dead (aside from a George Romero flick), all I have to do is watch MOST of the non-working "neighbors on welfare" that have NO future (past the next bottle of malt liquor or blunt) meander through their pitiful lives. Also...NO ELMOS!
Rule #7:
When I ask you to take what you want from the huge bowl of candy, that DOES NOT MEAN grab every damn single piece OF candy.....taking EVERYTHING should NEVER be a choice...it means be SELECTIVE and COURTEOUS...others might want to drop on by, 'K?
Rule #8:
If you don't like what we GIVE (free) to you, don't even think about retaliatory measures....I've already PLANNED for THAT contingent...(heh, heh, heh)...and you might not like the result (did I mention NO ELMOS?).

So there you are...MY "Eight Simple Rules" for handling Halloween. I think it's more in the "spirit" of the evening, and if you want to get a slice of what exactly this curmudgeon's been going on about, I DARE you to watch Garfield's Halloween Adventure (if you can find a copy).
Funny thing...they WILL show The Great Pumpkin, but DON'T televise Garfield (here) in INDIANA, which is the HOME of Jim Davis, the CREATOR of Garfield...
What's up with that?

In the meantime...Keep your kids safe out there tonight, and have fun (if you must)...LOL!

2 comments:

Tim Zank said...

Any Halloween casualties at the BG dome tonight??

Bob G. said...

None worth burying...(I can always use the mulch)...LMAO!

;)

B.G.