30 September 2009

Humpday Happenings...
Just when you thought it was safe to roll the hell out of bed...
Yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of the first telecast of Rod Serling's TWILIGHT ZONE.
Here's the link to the story: http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/offbeat/092909_twilight_zone_50th_anniversary
I loved this show...scared the HELL out of me, and when you're not even 10 years old, you CRAVE that crap like a diabetic craves sugar!
I still watch the eps on the Sci-Fi (I refuse to say SYFY) channel.
And, in many ways, I can picture Rod Serling HIMSELF standing in front of my house, doing a narrative for a yet undiscovered episode.
"Submitted for your approval...a man in middle life, with his wife of a dozen years...striving to just live their lives as normal people do. What they haven't figured out yet, is that their neighborhood has a secret...a secret that's been closely guarded from the rest of the city for decades. What this couple will experience will change the way THEY live forever. The denizens inhabiting this neighborhood will force this couple to look at everyone differently. It will cause them to fall...quite abruptly...into a world laced with illegal activities, aberrations beyond their ability to reason, and crime that will entrench them firmly...in the TWILIGHT ZONE."
Yeah, the neighborhood IS like that, unfortunately...But MAN, I'd love to see Serling narrate THAT.
Here we are again with some more things in our world (and city) that make you just toss up your hands and go: "WTF is goin' on here, anyway?"
** With ALL the "stuff" happening right here in the USofA, you'd "think" Mr. President would want to get some of it taken care of....
Think again.
He's off to Copenhagen (nice city) to "lobby" for getting the 2016 OLYMPICS to come to Chi-Town.
That's right, the VERY same Chicago where an honor student was BEATEN TO DEATH by thugs when he got caught up in the midst of a gang fight...yeah, THAT city.
And, quaintly enough, he was not the FIRST teen killed in the windy city this year (homicide count stands at 345...so far).
Here's two links to this tragic story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33057768/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/Teen_Beaten_To_Death_On_South_Side (warning - video is a bit graphic)
"Oh, yeah...I want MY Olympic team going to the games held in THAT city"....(I can hear all the foreign team coaches yelling it now).
MY bid would be for Tokyo...or even Rio De Janiero (not that Brazil's crime rate is that much better...but they DO have eco-friendly vehicles powered by ETHANOL...and that should please the tree-huggers in the crowd).
** Fort Wayne had it's first bank robbery of the year, and GUESS who the lucky perp is?
If you said a member of our highly-regarded BLACK community...give yourself a GOLD STAR.
Here's the link to the story with description of the robber:
http://news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090930/NEWS/909300319
Now, I have to say the security cam did a nice job of showing the perp...it's just a shame the papers didn't do AS GOOD a job blowing it up and plastering it across the FRONT PAGE for all to see!
I did what I could to enlarge and clarify the picture here. Feel free to click on it for a larger picture.
And, As Billy Mays would say: "But wait...there's MORE"..."
** Pot, cocaine, cash found at 2 homes
A Fort Wayne man was arrested Tuesday after police raided two homes.
Police searched homes just before 3 p.m. at 912 Pemberton Drive and 4013 Bowser Ave.
They found a total of 20 pounds of marijuana, more than 1 pound of cocaine, 53 grams of crack cocaine and more than $75,000 in cash in the two homes.
Julius Sims, 25, of the Pemberton Drive address, faces four felony counts of dealing cocaine and one count each of possession of cocaine and dealing marijuana.
He is being held without bail.
Police said confidential informants purchased drugs from Sims for two months.
Sims sold the drugs out of his home and his mother’s Bowser Avenue home, police said.
Police expect more arrests in the case and Sims could face federal charges as well.
(THAT was a decent haul...now, if the FWPD would check into several houses I've got in mind in MY neighborhood...)
** 6 at home arrested in Albion pot bust
Six people were arrested Monday after Indiana State Police found a marijuana-growing operation inside an Albion home.
Police were serving an arrest warrant on Troy Miller, 43, at his Albion home about 7 p.m. Monday when an odor and haze of burnt marijuana greeted officers. Police found grow lamps, nine potted marijuana plants, drying marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
The Noble County Division of Family and Children removed three children from the home, police said.
Miller was arrested on a Whitley County warrant and faces a new charge of possession of paraphernalia. He was being held in lieu of $10,000 bail at the Whitley County Jail.
Five other residents of the home were arrested on various charges, including cultivating marijuana, possession of paraphernalia and maintaining a common nuisance: April Miller, 19; Matthew Easterday, 28; Tina Easterday, 25; Kayley Marti, 21; and Jeremy Easterday, 30.
(breaks my heart....!)
** Local man charged in boy’s molesting
A local man is charged with child molesting, accused of abusing a 4-year-old boy.
Donald Biszmaier, 30, whom court records said lives in the 6000 block of Moeller Road, was being held in lieu of $10,000 bail. When arrested, Biszmaier gave police an address in the 9400 block of North Clinton Street.
New Haven police said they learned of Biszmaier’s actions after a complaint was made Aug. 10. Biszmaier sexually abused a 4-year-old boy, who told officers what happened, police said.
(does the word castration have ANY meaning these days?)
** Lastly, anyone who has been missing the Ken Burns show on our National Parks has been missing some of the BEST film of scenery I've seen in YEARS. Now, I've been to some interesting places, and stood under a waterfall in the mountains of PA, walked the sands of an island off the coast of Venezuela, climbed Vasquez Rocks in CA, flew over the Grand Canyon a few times, seen a sunset at Cabrillo Point in San Diego, and seen a sunrise on Daytona Beach (among other spots), but NOTHING is as awe-inspiring as watching this series.
When PBS decides to show it all in 2 days, I'll have to record it.
I thought it would be another "good" watch, but it's way better than that.
Makes me have a greater pride in what can be found in our great nation.
It makes me proud to be a part OF it...as an AMERICAN.
And maybe we all could use a little more of that in our lives...
Just a thought.
Stay safe out there, America.

9 comments:

JamiSings said...

Sadly, castration does not stop a molester from molesting. It's about having power over the victim, not actual sex. That's why you find that the majority of pedophiles, even the ones whom target boys, are actually straight white males. They chose boys because the humiliation factor is bigger and therefore they have more power over their victims then if their victims were girls.

Only thing that stops a pedophile is death. Which is why I say we should either have a death penalty for them, or at least they get locked up for life - no parole, no nothing. Just leave them in prison, general population, with "pedophile" tattooed on their forehead. (Regular crooks hate pedophiles.)

I remember years ago this grandfather tried to kill his granddaughter. Cut her throat. She survived and he was arrested. A bunch of prisoners saw the story on tv and went to their warden and specifically requested that the grandfather be brought to their jail. Stating "We'll take care of me."

Bob G. said...

Jami:
I dunno...lose the "jewels"...lose the "power" works for me.
But I hear where you're coming from.

I like the tattoo idea...kind of like their very own "scarlet letter",
But we can't give the ACLU more ammo in their fight to free criminals...can we?

Thanks for stopping by.
Keep on singing!

Diane said...

only commenting on a couple of things - the Twilight Zone - each year, for new years and labor day or whichever holiday they run the whole series for - guess what my TV is tuned to? You guessed it. Hub is addicted, and he can watch the first minute and tell you which episode it is. Now THAT's bad.

The series on the national parks is really neat - I've been to Cabrillo Point overlooking the subbase, spent 6 years there. And we've camped at the Grand Canyon, started going there with my parents when I was 14, and we stayed in a cabin on the North Rim for 2 weeks. Camped there one May, and as we were driving up to the Canyon, we saw snow falling..and neither of us were prepared for that. We had to go to the store and pick up some blankets and sweatshirts. We were dressed for so. Cal weather! Our oldest's first camping trip was to the Grand Canyon. Can you tell I'm a big fan of it? Not so much with all the tourists.. I'd rather go during off season, and tent away from the generators on the RVs. Ken Burns does some great work. I have his Civil War series on VHS that I recorded off PBS. Maybe I should look for it on DVD.. and The War.. about WW2. PBS had that series on also, but it's disappeared off my DVR before i watched the whole thing.

Bob G. said...

Diane:
Lucky you...staying AT the Grand Canyon itself!
Always wanted to do that.
Guess I'll have to wait for my NEXT life...

Your hubby and I have something in common w/ the TZ eps...LOL!

Thanks for stopping by.

indy said...

thank you diane for commenting. is the grand canyon like the alps in europe? have you been there? thinking of making a car trip to california next year and been going threw what i will need and what i can afford. i wont have been prepared eithor. makes me want to pack using space savor bags.

been going threw something personal bob. sometimes we have to turn away old high school friends becouse we learn that WE are the ones that grew up. it was a hard day.

Bob G. said...

Jami:
I totally agree you!

B.G.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
Been down that road myself with a dear friend in NJ...

I still make efforts to contact him, but for some unknown reason, he doesn't acknowledge my efforts.

My Mom once told me that sometimes, we have to leave SOME of the past behind, in order to make a little more room for today...and tomorrow.
Mom knew her "stuff".

Hope all works out for YOU.

Thanks for stopping by.

indy said...

i'll read the blog when i get home. but, it is working out for me. you know if you walk into a drug house/whatever the hell it is back in high school to pick up this girl and take her home then i already knew the drill. she is just more open with herself and more using the people that could feel sorry for her. they smell people that will help them out. she just got a little upsit that i got the backbone and wont help out. i dont trust her, and i refuse to have her in my home. i cant put myself in a situation to be her free social worker for the rest of my life. i hate to say this perhaps this is why God gave me my gift of my daughter. he knew i would protect her no matter what. and he knew she would be a strong minded young lady and protect me no matter what. my poor high school friend didnt even see what was coming. the two (whatever my last name is) standing up together saying no. you need to go. before she even tried to come over to my home. though i think she has been by my home before becouse some of the things she had said. like stalking me out. kinda creep the poo out of me. but, thats what the devil wants us to be afraid and afraid is something i refuse to be.
in my mind it worked out quite well.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
When all is said and done, it's STILL YOUR LIFE...and YOUR HOME.

YOU call the shots, and if you believe in a higher power, than there are NO "wrong moves" on your part...(that's the preacher in me speaking...lol).
If in your HEART, you feel you did the right thing, doesn't matter what your MIND might tell you.
(and that's what 57 years on this planet says)

Keep the faith!