27 October 2009

When A Bargain Is A Bargain...
Here is a case that our government could take a page from.
The government that thinks it can SPEND it's way out of debt , rather than save some bucks and allow the normal flow of capitalism to run it's course...yeah, THAT government.
We like to spend...I like to spend, but when it comes down to what I WANT versus what I NEED, THAT becomes the determining factor as to WHAT I will wind up spending any money on, and this very thing is what distinguishes me from our "civil servants", and I imagine the same can be said for all of you. We know about PRIORITIES.
But, I DO like getting stuff...when I have the funds to do so.
You probably do too.
And if you're anything like ME, you just LOVE a bargain.
The bigger the bargain...the BETTER.
I shop eBay a lot...nice bargains there, if you're willing to practice patience.
When I go out, I am always looking for bargains, and usually have a list of items that ARE bargains, or a I have coupons that make the mundane items INTO bargains.
Simple, huh?
Now, we've got THAT time of year again...time to shop (for OTHERS).
Many times, we take this part of the year and make it one of sending along HOLIDAY CARDS.
And, of course, you like to have some ADDRESS LABELS for those envelopes, right?
But you just HATE to pay to have them made up, and it's too time consuming to "longhand" them all out.
So, what IS a person to do, you ask?
(good question - here comes an answer)
You go and DONATE to some wildlife organization...doesn't matter which one. Just ONE.
For us, we donated to the ASPCA and the Humane Association...
And then, all you have to do is sit back...and wait.
Before long, you'll start receiving in the mail OTHER organizations that need donations, and "as a gift", they will send along to you ADDRESS LABELS...with your name right on it.
Amazing, huh?
I thought so, too.
Now, I did come across one organization I "added" to my list (Paralyzed Veterans Of America), and they have BEAUTIFUL labels...and aren't stingy when sending them out.
I will warn you that with all these organizational "needs" comes a few caveats...
They do propagandize their mailings IN FAVOR of tuggin' on the old heart-strings, so be forewarned. Don't get in over your financial head.
Next, I always check with the BBB to see the legitimacy of the group.
And I also WILL ignore organizations that appear to be "duplicates" of another.
I mean...I can't give to EVERYONE, needy or not, can I?
(that's the government's job...)
Now, suffice it to say, we've PLENTY of labels for mailing cards and bills, so that's a done-deal.
Hell, we even got some CALENDARS out of it, and a pen or two.
Not a bad take...
Now, those of you who have already discovered this know exactly what I mean.
To those who have not...well, it is "practically" free stuff.
One helluva BARGAIN, as I like to say.
And, I even get to save an otter, or a kitten, or help a patriotic American vet (who has given more to his country than I could imagine) here and there, so I feel pretty good about helping one of God's creations..or my fellow American.
I also have multiple bird feeders on the patio, but I don't expect ANY labels from the cardinals, or the mourning doves, or even the wrens and sparrows. That's just me and what I do. I just enjoy doing it.
Hell, I had a squirrel "buddy" two years ago that used to wait on me to feed him (on the patio table, I might add...he had real "class")...I really miss that little guy, and he NEVER sent me ANY labels...or calendars...or pens. That's OK, though.
And I certainly don't mind sending along a few bucks to the wounded warriors of our society...or even the police or state troopers. They have a thankless job, many times, and the LEAST I can do for them is to honor them and thank them in some small way.
If we have to miss another stop at McD's this week to do so....that's fine by me.
I'm certainly NOT blowing my own horn here...I'm just stating that being charitable is a GOOD thing to do.
Doesn't matter if it's the TOYS FOR TOTS thing, or the local food bank, or a church-sponsored "cupboard" that feeds the elderly of the area...it's ALL good (to me).
And...it's ALSO what made up a good part of this nation.
Ordinary people doing things others think are...well, "ordinary"...in order to keep others from needing.
No heroics here...just a sense of pride in one's country, and of it's people.
We take care of them...one person at a time.
I honestly would love to be able to give to ALL these organizations, but again, I'm only ONE person (with limited funding).
And I'm sure you feel the same way.
We have to "pick and choose", as it were.
As Americans, we love helping others..it's in our nature, because when we first started out AS a nation, we had few people helping US. We learned to be a lot more self-sufficient, or relying on EACH OTHER in the beginning, but as we grew as a country, we found it in our fiber to spread the wealth to others.
We are STILL the most philanthropic nation on the planet...for what it's worth today.
We need to get back to our roots when it comes to giving, when we can afford to do so.
And such giving first takes place under our own rooftops.
When we can practice charity THERE, we are better suited to practice it everywhere else.
So send a small gift to a local ASPCA chapter, or help a disabled policeman.
The old saying "What goes around, comes around" will take on a WHOLE new meaning for you.
The rewards YOU will find have no equal.
You help others...you help yourself, also.
Now that's a real "win-win" in anyone's book.
Stay safe out there, America

7 comments:

Jana said...

We donated to our state chapter of fraternal order of police shortly before summer started. We had the extra funds at the time.

But, not even three or four months later they were calling again. I didn't understand, because we donated almost $50 previously. The hubs had to tell them we couldn't donate again because of everything going on with me, and to please not call again.

:/

We'll gladly donate again next year if we can of course. We appreciate our policemen, and what they do for us. We have a dear friend who is a state trooper, and my uncle is a retired cop. But we can't donate money every three or four months.

We've also donated dog food to a local animal shelter this past year that was trying to adopt away puppies at our local PetCo. Got them the biggest bag we could find.

:)

Bob G. said...

Jana:
The state organizations are fine, as are the really local ones...
The NATIONAL organizations are the ones with all the "goodies"...

And we're already on a NO CALL list for both national and state.

(that helps a lot - no calls during DINNER...lol)

Thanks for stopping by.

>.<

Diane said...

I just got my envelope for the Star of Hope mission down in Houston. They have been around since 1907.

http://www.sohmission.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=195

indy said...

been donating to gleaners food bank in central indiana threw cfc. i dontate alot of toys for our christmas campain that i got for 75percent off during the year. i also do the goodwill thing for donating things in my home that i havent used for like 3 years or so. at this time of the year i like to keep a little extra cash on me for donating to the funds that will help people in my own township. you will see the firemen or the police sit up a thing at the mall or whatever. once in the blue moon i will help a standed stranger on the highway by giving them money or help. i would say its like one out of a thousand that i see. i have been known to leave the 20 tip for the waitress thats been extreamly kind. or pregnat when eating out. but, i dont eat out alot eithor. so its a rare thing indeed. i had one in kissimmee come up and thank me when i came out of the bathroom and tell me how she was going threw somethings.......and i have been known to go to a church that has been robbed to hear the sermon and give alittle to help out. insurance still has a dedutable.

Bob G. said...

Diane & Indy:
Looks like I'm surrounded by GIVING PEOPLE...and that's a damn nice thing.

NOW, if we can convince the government to BUTT OUT and ALLOW us ALL to BE charitable, without ALL these "bailouts and entitlements"getting in the way and taking away our freedoms...MAYBE we can get closer to being the America we all remember again.
ALL of you are like a breath of fresh air these days...God bless every one of you!

Thanks for commenting.

Easily Lost said...

I don't mind donating as long as the foundation is not religious based. It's a personal thing. (some know why, others don't) My favorite ones are the disabled vets, and the ASPCA. The men and women who served our country, and the ones with no voice. The two main ones, who always seem to get forgotten.

Bob G. said...

EL:
I also steer clear of religion-based organizations.

I find the LOCAL level of community churches and foodbank affiliates much better...and they don't keep hounding you.
Orphanges are also a good faith-based (and usually citywide) donation.

Thanks for commenting.