27 November 2009

(Black) Friday Follies...
Okay, you die hard shoppers...time's a wastin'. Get your butts outta the rack and start hitting those stores...Christmas season is NOW "officially" in gear.
Personally, I really don't go in much for shopping TODAY.
And most all you "veterans" probably know why...
It's the SHOPPERS...!
(duh)
I mean when else can you find SO many idiots seemingly in ONE place at ONE time (and usually where YOU want to be), hmm?
(other than Washington D.C. in the Congress and the Senate)
Hopefully, we WON'T see any DEATHS from stampedes this year.
If they're not behind the wheel of a vehicle, willing to all but kill you for the "closer" parking spot, they're "driving" a shopping cart (which clues you in on the TYPE OF DRIVER they really are).
Damn shame police can't ticket for reckless SHOPPING.
And not matter how well a store prepares for the "rush", it always looks like some post-Katrina scenario, thanks to people who grab stuff, drop it, move on, or otherwise tear the place to hell in their quest for that elusive mega-bargain.
(Hint: If something costs you an overabundance of time, effort, angst, and tends to raise your blood pressure and pushes you to the brink of a heart attack or stroke, perhaps it's really NOT worth it.)
Now all of you KNOW I love a bargain, and the missus and I might be sharpening up our ELBOWS for a sojourn to Menards for some things (they did have a good flyer in yesterday's paper), but we are definitely staying away from the K-Marts, Wal-Marts, and similar venues.
((editor's note - 1115 hrs - Mission Accomplished! Got damn near everything on that list AND got some eBay shopping done to boot. I love it when a plan comes together, as Hannibal Smith
would say...lol)).

Now...where were we?
I mean, when I go shopping, the LAST thing I want (when my demeanor is on NICE side) is some big-ass baby-mama pushing a ton of crap (with her 3 running and screaming kids in tow nearby) in her cart wanting to cut in front of me in line...
In another time, that would get you shot (by me).
Don't even THINK about doing anything like that...I WILL let the ENTIRE STORE know how arrogant you are, rest assured.
I can shout REALLY well...when I have to...LOL.
And to the checkout people...
Yeah, I know YOU hate this day as much as the rest of us, but PLEASE...at least TRY to look like you know what the hell you're doing behind that register, OK?
Don't make me come over the counter and have to ASSIST you...that's what they pay YOU for, right?
I know...I've been on "that side" of the register a long time ago.
It was Christmas season, and I had a line of people at the electronics counter, and I was waiting on them as fast as was humanly possible, and everyone seemed OK with that...except ONE woman.
She rudely exclaimed out loud "I've been waiting here for FIFTEEN MINUTES...THIS IS PATHETIC".
To which I looked up from my current transaction, looked down at my watch, and calmly replied:
I'm sorry ma'am...but it's ONLY been FIVE minutes".
Well, she stormed off in a huff, and everyone else at the counter was laughing...and was served with a smile. I never got so many "You have a happy holiday" or "Merry Christmas" greetings as I did that evening.
And that felt damn good...
It was then, I knew I was not destined for "retail", in spite of my increased sales (and commissions).
I made my point...which was more on target than this irate shopper.
Sorry, I don't drop everything and everyone else JUST to "wait on you", got it?
We do things in the order they come at us...
And if you DO find yourself in a situation where you positively HAVE to deal with the public on a daily basis, by all means...
Always try to tell them to GO TO HELL in such as way, where they actually will ENJOY THE RIDE.
THAT is the key, whether it's public service or retail...works every single time.
** On some other sides of life...
This story will show you exactly what life in OUR part of town can be like.
(( Victim is shot waiting for a haircut - Journal Gazette (27 November 2009)
Fort Wayne police are investigating a Wednesday night shooting at a barber shop that sent one person to a hospital in serious condition.
The victim was waiting for a haircut at Unity Barbershop, 921 E. Pontiac St., about 8:15 p.m. when a hooded gunman opened the door and fired into the shop, police spokesman Officer Michael Joyner said.
The victim was taken to a hospital in serious condition.
Within half an hour of the shooting, patrons were sitting in chairs at the shop getting haircuts, even as the business was cordoned off with police tape and officers talked to witnesses inside.
No one had been arrested, and the name of the victim was not released.))

Now THIS is exactly a large part of the problem in this part of Fort Wayne...
People were getting HAIRCUTS at 8 PM...a HALF HOUR after a damn shooting, even when the shop was STILL cordoned off as a CRIME SCENE.
Anyone see anything WRONG with that besides me?
It's called DESENSITIZATION, friends.
These Aborigines are desensitized to things such as CRIME...they ACCEPT it as a part of THEIR life...that's disturbing on too many levels.
That is also why they exhibit such disrespectful behavior as blaring loud music to all hours.
I've stated here many time...I love a hot cup of coffee, but I sure as hell am NOT going to walk down a street and force it down EVERYONE ELSE'S throat...that's called RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
These folks just don't have that crayon in THEIR box now, do they?
They feel that whatever THEY like...OTHERS like...(or else).
They assume everyone is OK with that, because no one tell them to shut the f*ck up.
Then again, they haven't met me...have they?
I WILL tell 'em...and I've done it before...many times.
They cannot grasp the concept that not every single person in existence LIKES the exact same things they do, and at the same volume levels. It also applies to tossing trash. Not everyone LOVES to do that, but THEY sure do, and they think it's perfectly fine to make every neighborhood they either live in, or pass through to look like a damn trash dump...or a ghetto.
It's all part of this DOUBLE-STANDARD we have now in America...and it has to change if we're ALL going to get along.
Case in point...
If BLACKS beat on a WHITE kid at school...it's called...BIAS.
If WHITE kids beat on a BLACK kid...it's called a HATE CRIME.
Again, anyone see anything WRONG here?
Isn't it ALL "bias"...or a "hate crime", no matter what color your skin is?
Or is it neither?
We cannot seem to define much of anything these days in terms of black of white...we'd much rather have a myriad number of SHADES OF GRAY. Well that helps out in getting to know OURSELVES a helluva lot, doesn't it?
Of course it doesn't!
You know it, and I know it...so what's the problem with these MORONS knowing it?
Well, learning takes time and effort...and that can better be put to use shopping, can't it?
Wow...seems we managed to come FULL CIRCLE here...amazing!
From shopping we travelled to sociology and abnormal psychology, and back again to shopping.
And we didn't use a drop of GAS in the process.
Astounding.
Still, we need to be examples of HOW to act properly, no matter where we are.
We TEACH...by example.
Wherever we go in our lives, we represent the culmination of our parents upbringing.
We are the sum total of THEIR values, disciplines, and principles.
And we've even managed to add to those (ourselves) along the way.
So remember, as you venture forth in the "Malling of America" this weekend.
You represent a lot more than you might think.
But above it all...you represent AMERICA (first).
Now I'm OK with that...how about you?
So, get shopping, grab those bargains, practice patience, have a great weekend, and...
Stay safe out there, America.

2 comments:

lemon soda said...

well i went to target down here and walmart then menards. menards had some nice deals got some sweatshirts, pajama pants, jumper cables, batteries, a stuffed animal, laundry detergent, gloves all for very good prices. i should have went there first and got the shop vac. but, i did get a vac for 25.00. that was pretty exciting in itself and some king size blankets for 19.99 each. even got a cart (i thought i might lose my life). so it wasnt a bad day. i was done and home by 9am.

Bob G. said...

LS:
Menards did good by us, too.
The missus loved those huge candles for under $2!
ANd she got some car mats, too...for REAL cheap (nice heavy duty mats - good rubber)

I don't recommend shopping this day to everyone.
I'm not one that takes well to crowds these days.
I get in, get the job done, and get the hell out.
(that's my DAD talking...LOL)

Thanks for stopping by.