13 November 2009

Friday Follies...
Welcome to the THIRD Friday the 13th of this year...that doesn't occur all that much, so I guess we "could" consider ourselves LUCKY?
Been an interesting week, that's for certain.
So, without any further ado, let's round up all the paraskevidekatriaphobics in the crowd, and show them a good time, hmm?
(that's the people who fear Friday the 13th...in case you were wondering...lol)
** The number of smokers in the U.S. has RISEN (wow, sounds a bit messianic) to 21%. The last time we had a rise in smokers was back in 1994, I believe.
Now, if they'd just drop the price of smokes, Id be a lot happier.
I mean I'm not seeing a helluva LOT for all that excessive TAX MONEY from the high cost of tobacco products...are you?
** The reigning "king" of Fort Wayne, mayor Tom Henry recently sent out a letter detailing the situation with our current electric supplier (I&M) and the ongoing discussions about the city light-lease issue.
Here's the link to the story:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20091113/LOCAL/311139992/1002/LOCAL There was only one "little" problem with that...that letter cost a tad over $45,000 to send out to residents (oopsie). With budget shrinking faster than a cheap-ass wool sweater in a dryer, blowing 45 grand wouldn't be one of "my" first thoughts (as mayor) to endear myself with the public. Mayor Henry wanted to assure people that he was "fighting for me".
Really, Tom?
You wanna fight for ME?
Ok, so here's the gig....you come down here, armed with subpoenas, search warrants, NCE , Animal Control, and the FWPD, and SHUT DOWN the drug houses, close up the dog fighting houses, remove all these boomcars from the streets, arrest the scrappers, condemn the properties that need to be condemned, and raze those that have sat vacant for a decade in disrepair, and while you're at it, kick out all these lowlifes in the area...how's THAT for "fighting" for me?
See, I have a free and clear house, and maybe I don't WANT to have to incur massive DEBT and move...maybe the BAD people should be the ones MOVING...'ya think?
Now, I could get on board with a plan like that, instead of a letter that cost taxpayers $45K to send (and no one down here would read anyway, unless it was a court summons).
** City developers want to build yet ANOTHER strip mall in the city...up NORTH (where everything's at anyway...except for the crime. That's down here).
Here's the link to this story: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20091113/LOCAL/311139909/1002/LOCAL This always elicits a giggle from me, because I KNOW that whatever the citizens wind up protesting, that is exactly what the city/county WILL DO. The only exception is ridding certain parts of town of crime. No matter HOW MUCH protesting is done about THAT, things never seem to change. I guess it's not "profitable" (enough) to eliminate rapes, robberies and homicides these days, especially in those "blighted" areas of the city that contain all those minorities.
But, hey...it's not like I don't know anything ABOUT that now, is it?
** South Park Goes "Beck"
If you missed this week's episode of South Park...shame on you.
They did a marvelous parody of Glenn Beck, as Cartman takes over as the new school announcer (" today's lunch is..."). Eric then take the job too seriously, and decries the fact that Wendy Testaburger has turned the school into a personal communist agenda.
Here is a link to a video:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/12/south-park-takes-on-glenn_n_355570.html
Cartman even wheels out a blackboard.
It's funny stuff, and I suppose you can say you're really "made it" when the guys at South Park parody YOU.
** Finally today, I am wondering seriously about the state of our nation...who isn't these days, hmm?
I keep on hearing all these politicos talking about "saving" this or that...
We're saving the economy...or the environment...or the banks, or car companies. But WHO the hell is saving US...from all this crap?
Yeah, I know JESUS saves, but we're talking about a whole other realm, aren't we?
And, as far as these politicians go and what they're planning for our future, Jesus looks to be sitting this one out.
In some respects, I can't really blame him.
Used to be a time when you went about YOUR LIFE...without all this intrusion.
We could take damn good care of OURSELVES, and this was only less than 30 years ago.
All of a sudden, NOT ONE of the American people can be trusted to do that any longer.
The government all but decreed that "they" need to take care of US instead.
Rrrrrrriiiiiiiight.
I mean I don't tell them how to run the country...well, I didn't USED to, but the way they're running it (into the nearest poorhouse) causes me to do so these days.
Still, shouldn't our government's job be to run the NATION...and not every facet of our lives?
Have we become so damn "dependant" that we can't even wipe our own asses any longer?
I think not.
We can take care of ourselves just fine...always have...always will.
I think what the government NEEDS to do is focus ion getting this COUNTRY back on track, and leave it's tax-paying, God-fearing people ALONE.
We have laws to protect, guidelines to follow, and needs we can meet all by our lonesomes.
If the government needs to do anything in our lives, it's to provide us with a nation we can remain free in....free to pursue OUR lives...OUR liberties...and OUR happiness...not theirs.
It's such a novel concept..it might just catch on. Oh, wait...it DID...way back in the late 1700s.
Have yourselves a great...and FREE weekend.
Stay safe out there, America

4 comments:

Jana said...

South Park was classic! Dave and I really enjoyed it! They did a good job! The creators' best episodes are the ones where they parody politics if you ask me! Remember last year's spoof on the election?

And I'm praying that the Senate kills the House's health care bill! PLEASE let them kill it! Fining (and jailing!) people for not having health care! Those liberals all need to dropped out of a plane on some remote island and left there!

Bob G. said...

Jana:
The SP election spoof and the global warming eps were brilliant!

This health care bill is nothing short of STUPID!

NO ONE in their right mind would consider such BS!
And of coruse, the politicos WON'T buy into it for themselves,...OH, no...

Jail me?
For "healthcare"?

I don't think so!
MY country...MY life...MY body...MY rules.
(oh, my...lol)

'Nuff said there, eh?

You two have a great weekend.

Diane said...

He should have been wearing a suit top with jeans and sneakers :P like GB does alot of times. I was just reading today that medicare/medicaid has 47 billion in fraud. since obama's been in office. That's just a few month's worth of fraud. And we're supposed to just roll over and give them MORE? How about getting those jacka$$es out of office, and putting in people that actually will do some good?

Bob G. said...

Diane:
I'm glad I wasn't the ONLY person that noticed that article...!

EVERY government program...every single one has had fraud connecetd with it...at EVERY level (city, county state, or federal), so, that should send up a few red flags now and then...'ya think?

Sometimes the problems correct themselves, but most times...it DOES get worse.

There is not ONE "business" the government has taken over that has resulted in a BETTER form of it AND produced REAL revenue...(read become profitable for the country)

AMTRAK...USPS...WELFARE...MEDICARE.
They're ALL flawed.

All I ask is to show me ONE program that honestly helped the masses, and did not cost taxpayers MONDO money in the process?
Just prove me wrong.
I dare them...

Gonna be a helluva election process in the upcoming several years.

Thanks for commenting.
Much appreciated.