05 March 2010

Friday Follies...
Another week closer to SPRING, and another week closer to NATURE'S "global warming" aka SUMMER.
We've got a full plate of things to blog about today, so without any further ado...let the pigeons loose.
First, an update to a story posted here Wednesday:
*** (( 6th homicide of year; suspect still at large - Michael Zennie / The Journal Gazette
Brandon Portee’s family says he died needlessly.
The 23-year-old father of an infant girl was shot to death after an argument over makeup on the city’s south side Tuesday, his cousin said.
Portee showed up at 4002 Avondale Drive about 7 p.m. to pick up a friend after the fight inside heated up, said Bryant Williams, his cousin. Williams, 21, said he witnessed the shooting.
Before Portee arrived, two women in the house started fighting when one said the other’s makeup looked ugly. The fight escalated, and the men inside became involved, Williams said.
When Portee got to the house, Williams said, the argument had spilled outside and a man grabbed a shotgun. He pointed it at several people before chasing Portee down the block.
When Portee got stuck between two cars, the gunman fired and fled before police arrived, Williams said.
Detectives said David Alexander Johnson, 37, is the sole suspect in the case. They believe
he was headed to Gary, where he was born. Johnson had not been arrested in either Allen or Lake counties Thursday. Police consider him armed and dangerous. He has not been charged in the slaying.
Portee had never met the man who shot him, Williams said.
Portee was taken n to a hospital, where he later died. The coroner’s office ruled his death Allen County’s sixth homicide this year. All the killings have occurred on Fort Wayne’s south side.
"That’s one of the most important people in my life," said Portee’s 16-year-old brother, Andre.
"And he’s gone for no reason."
Brandon Portee’s friends and family knew they could count on him, Andre Portee said.
He was the kind of guy whose word was his bond, his brother said. If he said he was going to be somewhere at a specific time, he’d be there – usually an hour early.
Brandon Portee loved sports and hanging out with friends. He was also an aspiring rapper who performed as far away as Atlanta, according to Andre Portee.
But lately he had a new focus – his 4-month-old daughter, Jaylee.
"You could just seem him when he picked her up. They both always had the biggest smiles on their faces," his brother said. "I’ve never seen him so happy before in my life."
))
Now, of course there is little really ABOUT the victim, other than the obligatory "nice guy, good father, aspiring rapper"...yada, yada, yada...
Nothing about where he WORKED...where he GRADUATED from...IF he was going to attend COLLEGE, or IF he was even MARRIED...you know, the things that tend to separate men from boys, and success (often) from failure.
Not one word. Amazing.
Guess Mr. Portee was going to opt for the "easy way out" in life...
At least we know he knew his way around the female anatomy...and he was punctual, depending on how one defines the word.
And we also know he "loved to hang out with friends"...well, doesn't the vast majority of people do that anyway?
I mean, who really HATES to hang out with friends? I thought that was what "friends" were for...(silly me).
And that explains why only ONE shot was heard...a shotgun at (apparently) close range tends to "end a conversation" really well.
But Brandon is typical of the type of urban "youth" we see today, especially in the minority communities.
Even when they appear to steer clear of trouble (nothing about prior run-ins with the police), trouble seeks THEM out and finishes off a person's life. It's little wonder many gravitate to a clique or a gang.
At least THERE, they "might" survive a bit longer, before they wind up in jail...or dead.
It's much like the aboriginal locals we have around here...the ones that don't know what it is to EARN a real living at a job, but rather "hang out" in the middle of the street with their newest clothing and "athletic shoes" on, passing a bottle of Bacardi around while standing alongside a freshly-washed big-ass SUV, before they're off for another drug deal...or worse.
Don't have time to work a job, but ALWAYS have time for liquor...or to get the Suburban washed and "tire-shined", don't we?
Wow, that kinda sounds a lot like THESE guys, doesn't it?
Well, all I can say is that if the FWPD patrolled a LOT more around HERE, they'd see what I see, but unfortunately, they're much too busy chasing the radio for all the OTHER locals busy beating their "insignificant others", making false *911* calls, breaking into someone's house, or otherwise causing some sort of trouble somewhere on the south side of Fort Wayne. If it were MY police department, I'd not run it in this manner, would I, Rusty?
Still, it IS nice to know locals like THIS are so damn predictable, isn't it?
Elsewhere...
*** Indiana lost out on the first phase of "gub-ment" moolah in this dumb-ass "Race to the Top" (of the money pile) funding...JUST when they could USE it.
It's like I told the missus (a high school teacher herself...and a damn good one, but I'm biased...I like education), too many people have come to DEPEND on whatever moneys the government decides to toss about, and that is a very dangerous position to take.
The school systems (today) rarely depend on THEMSELVES, but rather defer their dependence upon the state OR the feds to "help" them, and when expectations aren't quite met, there is the usual fallout, leading to some pretty huge holes in finances.
That's like if I go out and blow a lot of money (incurring a nice debt) for something I might need, and then playing the lottery, because I expect to WIN...(and pay that debt off)...and we all know how that typically pans out.
The school corporations have this "expectation" that SOMEONE will come riding to their rescue, should they get into financial straits.
Got news for them...the Lone Ranger ain't gonna be a'comin', folks...sorry about that.
And that is why every one of US learns to BALANCE OUR OWN BUDGETS.
We have learned (sometimes through trial and error) to distinguish our NEEDS from our WANTS.
We have come to understand that "money doesn't grow on trees" as our parents used to remind us often enough.
(although with the amount of taxes WE pay out, versus the services we receive, someone in government must think it DOES)
"Sure...lemme go pluck a few Franklins off of my MONEY tree...that reminds me, I've got to get those GRANT and HAMILTON trees in the ground before the end of April"
Yeah, that happens ALL over the USA in everyone's back yard, right?
I wish it did, then again, knowing my wonderful (and so misunderstood and oppressed) African-American "neighbors", they'd have torn my trees up LONG ago...for more drugs, booze, bling, and such.
*** Willow Crack...I mean CREEK ...that's Creek Crossing Apartments had a fire in the same building WE used to live in...imagine that.
It's not like these apartments are housing the "cream of society", shall we say.
That's another example of nice housing going DOWNHILL faster than Lindsey Vonn (or Obama's approval rating).
When you see people toking joints poolside, or kicking in your door when you're AT WORK, robbing your place and smearing feces on the carpet...you somehow don't get the impression it's one of Fort Wayne's more "stellar" apartment complexes.
But I must say I do have a knack for being able to jump from the frying pan into the fire.
That would be our Little House in the Ghetto (with apologies to Laura Ingalls Wilder).
Walnut Grove would appear to be HEAVEN, compared to THIS neighborhood, that's for sure.
*** Lastly, I want to take a minute to thank all of you readers out there.
I'm rapidly approaching my 1000th post (less than 40 to go now), and I know it takes a few minutes out of your day to come on by and read the stuff I often rant and rave about...time which could be better spent by you doing things you'd much rather prefer getting done.
But, I trust (in some small way) that I'm able to touch a part of you that remembers what things USED to be like, and allows you to rekindle those thoughts of a better time for us all.
Some days you might wonder "what the hell am I doing here?", and that's a valid question for us all.
Lord knows I start many a day with such contemplations.
Then, I get to put some of my feelings down in type...along with current events, some history, a few things to make you smile, and many other things designed to make you think.
That's how I like to start my day...along with a good strong cup of java.
I want to be encouraged...emboldened...and empowered to do what needs to be done in order to help others along the way.
I might not have the financial resources to do it, but I want to believe that, in many cases, WORDS are just as (if not more) powerful a tool than just money, or other tangibles.
Words are knowledge...and power. They carry weight. They MEAN something.
Every one of us can be LIKE those words.
Every one of US...means something...to someone...somewhere...
And above all, we should always mean something to OURSELVES.
Have yourselves a great weekend, be well, make a difference today, and...
Stay safe out there, America.

11 comments:

Bob G. said...

I got this "comment" from an obviously disgruntled "lurker"

(( Anonymous said...
Talkin shit about someone who's dead is messed up. Just because Brandon Portee was an "aspiring rapper" and you don't know where he went to school doesn't make him a bad guy. He worked at FedEx Ground here in Fort Wayne and you know what, so what if he has had sex at some point in his short life and he had a daughter??? How many 23 year old virgins do you know?? You didn't know anything about him and you're talking about him like he's slacker who wants the "easy way out". Who made you the authority on this shit anyway???))

I look at it this way...
When someone does something GOOD with their life, why NOT print it?
Why NOT show that this victim JUST wasn't another "stat"?

Every time we see a white victim, the media tells us damn near everything about him/her.
SO why not with Brandon?

He worked at FedEx...great...we get the REAL story from aomeone OTHER than the lame-stream media...YAY!

Maybe ANON should call the papers and let THEM know...'ya think?
As for 23 yr-old virgins?
...another reason why society is sucking like a damn sea lamprey!

BTW, I can "talk shit" about a LOT MORE people who are ALIVE and breathing (and who I would gladly relive them of such responsibility), but face it, this man was at the wrong place at the wr5ong time and got caught in the crossfire...simple as that.
Shit happens, and not always to the "bad guys" (unfortunately).

And at 57 years of age, I know a HELLUVA LOT MORE about a helluva lot more than most people my age...and sometimes I wish I didn't.
THAT is what "gives me the right" to say what I say...oh, that...AND the FIRST AMENDMENT of the U.S. CONSTITUTION.

There is ALWAYS more to these stories than is ever explained...

And if some people have too thin a skin and become offended, then get your own blog and speak whatever the hell YOU want to...and I will defend YOUR right to do so...fair enough?

Have a nice day.
:)

Slamdunk said...

Congrats on almost 1,000 posts Bob. I am have only 1/3 of that total and know how much work it is.

Enjoy your weekend and stay safe.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Much appreciated...but I ain't there YET.
The world could come to an end right AFTER I make post# 999, and that would REALLY cheese me off...LOL!

It's nice to have milestones in life (or is that MILLstones?).

You have yourself a very good weekend, too.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I'm working toward post 250 (about 30 to go). It is work, and it's a risk every single day, to put your effort out in the public forum.

Words do matter. So much.

As for the news story and complaint, I do think the papers are shabbing off on the details of everything, large and small. (Don't get me started.) And I regret the death of anyone--ah, not Hitler or Stalin--but in general.

I think asking for 23 yo virginity is only going to get us a shocked stare. So, how about responsible sex--the pill, the condom, the budget? I was not raised to believe in the first two, but mostly I worry that these new babies don't get what they need to advance in the world.

I am not putting this well. Maybe I should say that:
I wish these child parents could put their energy into their professional and educational advancement before having children.

With the best will in the world, they are still short the tools that would help them be good parents. And without that best will, their children are even further behind.

Have a great weekend,
Ann T.

Jana said...

Wow. Dying from a fight over make-up. That's really sad, because when that little girl asks how her daddy died, that's how that story is going to start.

:(

And to the anon-comment:

There are MANY people who are virgins at 23. I have a friend who remained a virgin until she was 26. Does it matter? Nope. What matters is that she waited until she was ready, not until she was pressured because of her age.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
I also think many children wind up growing up without so much of what WE had when we were that age...

And to think we never "had it all" either.
Yeah, I:m not really into and children having chikldren, but since America leads the world in teen pregnancies, I guess we are wrong for wishing such noble things of our youth.

I still wish today's society gave them a chance at enjoying thier youth, without the added responsibilities concernd with adulthood.
But hey, I'm not only an "old fossil" here...just wanting kids to have more time to grow up, and help them that NEVER grow up the chance to do THAT as well.

Thanks for stopping by.
Have a great weekend.

Bob G. said...

Jana:
Yeah, and :fight" over MAKEUP that became a death sentence for someone not even involved with the initial argument...

WTH has become of our society that we permit ourselves to allow such escalation over something so damn trivial?

I agree...you have to do what's right for YOU...and not be pushed into something you might not be ready for.

Thanks for stopping by.
You & Hubby have a great weekend!

indy said...

i dont know if the fight was really over makeup. thats a little unfounded in the fight department. at 23 working at fedex and having a baby he was trying. and thats what counts. he was trying....i dont even know the man and my heart breaks.

i do know one thing we had the first warm night in a long while and it was off the chain with police calls during the day and at night. there is something in the air. even got my daughter and i to raise voices. i had to stop becouse i had to go to work. lol

all i can say is be safe out there. i think it will be a long summmer with the devil trying to raise the tempatures not only outside but in our heads. keep a cool head and think twice.

God bless that man and his family. that passed away.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
I'm also fining it a bit hard to believe that an argumne that went THIS bad started over something as dumb as MAKEUP...
Some people definitely have thier PRIORITIES messed WAY up.

And I was telling Wifey that this summer is already looking to be a really "fun" one...and not that GOD kinda fun we know and love.

One thing you can do (about your daughter) is find out what the schools are teaching her.
Glenn Beck had a great show Friday , demonstarting the SUBTLE ways the progressive agenda is being out forward, and that kids know MORE than thier parents...
!?!
Yep, it's true...ask Al Gore.

You're older, wiser, and have been around a bit longer, so that makes YOU more knowledgeable in a LOT more matters than the young'uns.

Just something to think about.
Have a great weekend.

indy said...

i think they tried that. BUT, when your mom has been to war, married, divorced, had an ex boyfriend stalk me, and deaths in the family. when she sees her mom making good choices for her and telling her how the game will be played out. she stops and says you know my mom knows something here. she (yes, my daughter) had told me that i am smarter then some teachers she has. i think it bothers the establishment (certainally not all teachers but a 2 percent) and they try to show it. so right now no she thinks sometimes she knows more then me. and about 1/4 of the time i will give her props on that. but, her love for me outweighs all the nay sayers.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
Well, you convinced ME, that's for sure...If I need to know something, I'm asking YOU...!

((who says you can't "teach" and old dog new tricks, anyway? - I'm just a bit slower moving when I perform them, that's all...LOL!))

Yeah, I honestly believe we CAN learn from one another, too.

:)