20 April 2010

Home "Reprovement"...
I know, it looks kind of funny, and sounds a bit weird, but the "word" fits the venue, trust me on this one.
I had to double-check to make sure I had the etymology correct.
Now while this might not perfectly be attributable to a structure such as a house, I think the basic premise is nonetheless sound.
After all, dictionaries don't lie, right?
Besides, it's from "Bob's Lexicon", so you KNOW it's right somehow...LOL.
REPROVE
** tr.v., -proved, -prov·ing, -proves.To voice or convey disapproval of; rebuke. See synonyms at admonish.To find fault with.
[Middle English reproven, from Anglo-Norman repruver, variant of Old French reprover, from Late Latin reprobāre, to disapprove. See reprobate.]
1 to criticize (someone) usually gently so as to correct a fault — see rebuke 1
2 to express public or formal disapproval of — see censure 1
3 to hold an unfavorable opinion of — see disapprove
There 'ya go...I think that covers it well, especially when you're trying to REPAIR something around the house.
Yesterday, I noticed a tear in one of our screens in the front windows, so I did what any (still fairly) able-bodied house-hubby would do...
I proceeded to FIX it.
And we're NOT talking about the Tim Taylor or Red Green kind of "fixing"...just so we understand one another here.
After all, I DO have prior experience when it comes to windows and screens...used to do it back in Columbus, OH (and did it rather well), so I dug out the screening material, the rubber spline spool, and by spline tool...
The EASY part was getting the old screen OUT.
After that, it went downhill faster than our economy over the past 12 months,
The screen FRAME is what the real problem was. When they assemble them, they use plastic/nylon corner pieces that keep the frame SQUARE (fits the window much better that way).
Now, since these screens are ANCIENT, the plastic has reached (make that surpassed) it's "life expectancy", which means they're more brittle than functional...and they break REAL easy. I swear (a lot in 2 hours) I stared at one and it cracked!
In fact, I had to bust up some "spare" windows we had JUST to get the appropriate piece to refit into the screen frame.
Trying to locate (new) replacement pieces would be a study in futility, that much was certain.
So, (after much cussing) having one screen finally complete and looking nice in this post-project (after the first hour, it BECAME a project) scenario, I just HAD to replace the other front window screen...after all, it doesn't look quite right to have ONE old screen and ONE new screen, right? You need "balance" in life...that, and in screens, too.
Again...more struggles with the frames (why didn't they just use ALUMINUM joiners in the first damn place???), then to my chagrin, I find I've run short of screen material...!
Okay, now this has ceased being a struggle...OR a project, and has evolved into a real W...T...F...debacle.
But, being the "ever-resourceful" person that I am, I had a "Da Vinci" moment.
I took two pieces of screen, and "sewed" them together (across the horizontal) with some nylon fishing line (25 lb test, naturally - excellent for those elusive "channel-cats").
Now, you can barely see the break in the screen, and the fishing line looks like an alarm wire running through it (which looks kinda cool, to be honest), so maybe it's appearing like the window is "wired"...LOL.
It's not an Archimedes Screw, nor an Ornithopter, but it's damn practical, that's for sure. And it will suffice until I book out to Menards and get more screening.
Case closed there, eh?
Being able to do damn near anything with nothing seems to be SOP for me these days.
I guess if any APOCALYPSE comes waltzing down the block, I'll be ready.
Move over MacGyver...'ya got some competition these days.
Anyway, that was my (uber angst-ridden) soire into the surreal realm of something I'd love to pitch to the DIY channel called:
"Ghettohood (normal) Home Repair - How to keep YOUR house from looking like all the OTHERS in your area for fun and (non) profit"
Yeah, I know...the title's a bit long ...I'm still working on it.
Having an OLDER home is ALWAYS a two-edged sword (or plaster trowel in many cases).
On the UP side, you have a much better constructed house than those being slapped together these days, and along with that comes a certain "quaintness". There's more REAL WOOD and BRICK in houses like ours, than all that "press board" and plastic that goes into new structures.
On the DOWN side (and you know I was going there), much of what went into an older house (as far as repairs go) has become a "lost art". All the good repairmen (from days of yesteryear) are dying the hell off, and taking all their trade secrets with them.
And, in many cases, as a house was being upgraded over the decades, perhaps a few "bugs" got in the mix. By that, I mean that maybe the furnace is SO old, you can't get parts for it any longer (like OURS), or the heating/cooling duct work in the basement is NOT the most efficient on the planet (like OURS), or replacing ALL the windows with better insulated, vinyl ones in the house will cost more than the going price FOR the house after it becomes surrounded by ghettohood hovels (yeah...like OURS).
It become a REAL study in priorities.
You do what NEEDS to be done...FIRST.
Everything ELSE...comes SECOND.
You fix what needs fixing, so you don't wind up fixing a helluva lot MORE in the immediate future.
Home repairs ignored, will often entail a certain level of cumulative problems.
You don't fix A, then A will cause B to need mending, which can lead to having to replace C, D...and so on.
It's like your very own "Neverending Story"...only without that cool white dragon flying your ass around (mostly to Menards).
It's just part of being a "Homeowner", and I will wear that badge with honor.
My Dad always said that people can get a good sense of who YOU are by the way you "keep your stuff".
You take CARE of something, and it will not only "return the favor", but will impart to others that you "give a damn" about having it in the first place. I call it Good Stewardship.
But whatever YOU call it...it works.
You always will get OUT of something that which you put INTO it.
Don't bother to take care of your car?...don't expect it to get your ass home on some cold night.
Don't bother to clean and take care of your firearms?...don't expect it to work on that burglar at 3AM.
Don't bother to take care of your house?...don't expect it to take care of you.
Walls, windows, doors, and floors do NOT (nor ever will) take care of themselves.
They call it "sweat-equity" for a reason, folks.
Just like each and every one of us...a house, when it becomes a HOME, is a work in progress.
And therein lies the lesson for today.
Now, go out and trim those hedges, and hang a bird feeder.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay safe out there, America.

8 comments:

Slamdunk said...

Nice problem solving Bob with the fishing line. Our previous dog took out our back screen and we were/are still afraid new dog will stick his big paw on any attempt at putting a new one on.

Hopefully, I won't be blogging about my misadventures with screens for awhile.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:
Like I said...it WAS a "Da Vinci" moment...LOL.
If you want some REALLY good screening material, bop out and get some PET-D-FENCE (brand name)
It's a charcoal-colored, pet-resistant screening.
(unless you have a pet BISON)
Made by New York Wire (USA...yay)!

Stop damn near everything but a charging Great Dane (and a Volvo)...LOL.

Thanks for stopping on by.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
These are useful hints. Especially since I have a cat that likes to climb the screen, in a never-ending quest to Get The Bug.

The bug is outside. If that screen goes, i will have flat cat. As it is, I do need repair!

Ann T.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
Glad to be of service.
(we have squirrels on the outside - cats on the inside...and I like it THAT way...LOL)
With THIS screen material, they can climb all day...not one tear at all.

Tell 'ya..there ARE some days I feel like Indiana Jones...
"Repairers of the Torn Screen"
-Coming to a theater (of the mind) near YOU!

:)

Thanks a lot for stopping by.

Diane said...

Seeing you were fixing a screen - I don't know how I ran across them, but I did - Retractable screen doors and screens for windows. I'm thinking that is pretty darn handy, especially being I have a cat that likes to hang off screens, and has torn all but 1 screen off our windows. The large lab we used to have did the ones in the back of the house in years ago. Here are a couple of companies http://www.phantomscreens.com/ and http://www.larsondoors.com/screen_doors/

I'm thinking that if you don't need a screen door for half the year (like here! with the heat), a retractable one would be perfect.

ms nk rey said...

do you have a doppelganger? I could use a handyman.

Bob G. said...

Diane:
I saw those and thought "That's kinda cool", but I don't believe they will work here, unless we change out the old wood sash original windows.
And that's gonna cost the (current) assessed price of our once $76K house (about $20K now)...

Tell 'ya...sometimes 'ya can't win...but it's always fun to participtae in the race anyway.
Thanks for the link, and for stopping by.

Bob G. said...

MSN:
If I DO have a doppleganger, he's probably living MY life, instead of HIS (which I got saddled with...lol).
And that means he's making BU KU bucks, and driving *my* Aston Martin (somewhere nice)...LOL.

Then again, my "twin" could be FRENCH (perish the thought)...!

No one ever said life was FAIR.
(just "interesting")

Thanks for stopping on over.