21 May 2010

Friday Follies...
End of another week, and the beginning of another "soft" day here in Fort Wayne...
That's right, more rain, but not in the deluge amounts other parts of the nation have suffered.
Still, as I've stated so many times before, any inclement weather does help to dissuade all the obnoxious people driving those thumping ass boomcars in our area. It won't stop the "hard-core" ones, though.
To do that would take putting a bullet to their head, and I mean that in a GOOD way.
I would liken that to something in the "urban-renewal" realm.
Be a nice "message" to send to those stomping all over other peoples' right to be left the hell alone.
But I digress...
In many neighborhoods, there are associations that are there to help the citizens with problems, and many times, they are VERY effective.
Not so in our neighborhood.
In many neighborhoods, they have what's known as a "Neighborhood Watch", where citizens (with radios) patrol their area looking for things "out of the ordinary". And they work pretty well, too.
Not so in our neighborhood.
In many neighborhoods, they even have "block captains", who people can go to with their concerns. The block captain contacts the proper city agency and things get done. Again, this works pretty damn well.
And again...not so in OUR neighborhood.
When it comes to citizen involvement on some sort of defined level..."we got nothing"...period!
The ONLY involvement usually stems from someone calling the FWPD due to a domestic (signal 46), a battery (signal 96), or some sort of "disturbance" (typically a signal 43).
Sometimes, but not all that often, whatever is going on impacts on someone else in the area, and then THEY call the police, usually for some sort of fight (signal 55), a suspicious person (signal 48), and a property issue, such as a burglary (signal 50) or theft (signal 51), or even my personal favorite - shots fired (signal 113).
Whenever there is ANY problem, it's up to that individual citizen...that "Lone Wolf", who decides that this crap has got to stop, one way or another. And, as is often the case, people like this didn't CHOOSE to bear that title.
I am a Lone Wolf in my area.
And I certainly didn't choose to become one.
I had hoped for a little more banality in the autumn of my life.
I became one out of necessity, and of a sense of doing what is right.
Case in point....the lawns of vacant houses on our block.
The two houses directly south of ours (what I refer to as the "Demilitarized Zone" between US and "them") have been vacant for the better part of a year, and thankfully, no human flotsam has been placed in them to date.
Now, whatever bank owns these houses is not in the business of maintaining them, as the ever rising grass on the lawn will bear witness to.
And, naturally, it will become a breeding ground for mosquitoes, and another "dumping ground" for the locals (they like places like this even MORE than ours...go figure).
So, I do what ANY concerned citizen WOULD do...I call it in as a weed violation (a misnomer, as there are hardly ANY weeds per se...just grasses). And the houses get "tagged" by the city.
Well, yesterday was MOWING DAY, and three men came out fully prepared to do battle...
Within 30 minutes, we had nicely mowed lawns (they didn't pick up the trimmings...can't have everything).
Not a bad job...and the bank gets to pick up the "tab" for making the CITY mow them...I love it.
Of course, that means the bank will have to move that property, and that always means more section 8'ers with no background checks and more friends than you can shake a stick at...in other words, typical "south side neighbors" (if you can call them that....I have other words that describe them much better).
I can already predict that whatever winds up living in these houses will be non-working, with children (probably 3-4), and a boyfriend of the month, replete with "associates" of dubious intent and demeanor.
Oh, and they will "dress the part", if you get my drift.
And that brings me to another facet of this "Theater of the Absurd".
I've always believed that VARIETY is, in fact, the spice of life.
Sure, there are times when getting into a "pattern" works, such as laundry, or cooking, or even home maintenance.
You find something that works, and stick with it...much like a specific course you take to and from your job.
You may deviate out of necessity, but otherwise, you stick to the routine.
However, in other parts of your life, you find that the MORE you experience, the more you GROW... AS a person.
You take trips, read books, see other places, visit other towns or parks, or whatever.
Many times, you find that doing the same thing, day in and day out becomes downright BORING.
You embrace the diversity OF LIFE ITSELF, and the almost infinite aspects contained within.
Not so in OUR neighborhood...
I see the SAME people, doing the exact SAME things, day after day, year after year.
They must view the universe as a three square block area of the south side...and that's pathetic.
I feel that as you get older, you seek things that are different so that you can continue to evolve AS a person, and be able to share it with others. That's what always made grandparents so damn fun to be with.
They did so much...and with so little.
That impressed me, and I sought to do likewise as much as I could.
Yet, these people around here are TEDIOUS to behold.
You can see in their eyes that whatever "spark of life" SHOULD exist...does not.
And they hide behind their boisterous activities so we won't notice.
They listen to music that degrades women, pushes the thug life, and speaks to violence..all the damn time.
They play their music at house-shaking levels...all the damn time.
They hang out and wander in the streets...all the damn time
They have no real future to speak of, and they're proud of that fact and flaunt it...all the damn time.
Many would think this shocking, and some would even be lavishing sympathy for such people.
I don't.
Again, they CHOOSE to do and act the way they do...never really growing up, and yet never retaining any of the innocence we ALL had as children.
They're stuck in between, in some purgatorial void, with little to speak of except their own unique form of "maturity".
They have their OWN way of doing everything, it seems.
They dress like slobs (read thugs and whores), do whatever they want to, whenever the mood strikes them (like littering and loitering...and causing crime), and have no sense of other people who might want to live a NORMAL life. It's all about "them".
They have their OWN form of "street justice" (which is FAR removed from any form of REAL justice), have little if NO respect for ANY type of authority (ask any officer), wouldn't know how to tell a truth if it came up and bit them in their ass, and believe that the world revolves around THEM.
Like I say...it's pretty damn sad.
But maybe that's what they WANT you to think...
They want you to feel sorry for them, so you'll "help" them.
(I mean, that's what "POOR" has been re-defined as THESE days, right?)
That would be like handing a school of sharks a bloody fish...don't expect to get your ARM back in the process in the frenzy.
The only help they really NEED is motivational in nature, and that always begins with SELF.
Thomas Jefferson said it best I suppose when he stated:
"The best way to help the poor is to make them uncomfortable in their poverty."
Or perhaps it was Benjamin Franklin who said:
"We should make the poor uncomfortable and kick them out of their poverty."
Either way, it takes us back to an era when a LOT more people were looking for a hand UP (if they weren't too proud to accept the help)...instead of a hand OUT.
We shall always have poor people among us, but we can do something to minimize it, and that doesn't mean take from everyone else to make the poor "richer". It means we need to stop bringing everyone DOWN to the poor person's level, and instead ELEVATE those in poverty UP to a better standard.
Let that be the lesson for the day, and something we all need to take to heart.
ALL of us have the POTENTIAL to be more than what we are, or could imagine.
All WE have to do..is BELIEVE it..and then DO it. Have a great weekend, make a difference to someone, and, as always...
Stay safe out there, America.

9 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I have been thinking about this a lot lately, with new programs going up and no old ones backing out.

I wish we would take a look at what really works. And what hasn't worked. I've been trying to think out some posts and can't quite get where I want to go in terms of the argument to present.

I come from a family that has bad history. This has affected me on and off all my life. Therefore I have sympathy for people who have been given no good role models and no horizon to look forward to. I think I was at least given the horizon--at school, with books, interested others, et cetera.

But I don't see any sense in perpetuating a bad environment. That is not so much a comment on reproduction as of critical mass. If our society is inundated with people who can't find a good role model or a good horizon, we will go down the tubes at an accelerating rate.

So that's toward what you are concluding with--we need to help, but what is it that does help? And part of my underlying argument, I guess.

Thanks for giving me a chance to work it out further, at your house!

Sincerely,
Ann T.

P.S. unbelievable, my pass code is conan, as in the barbarian

Ann T. said...

Also thank you for commenting on my Wortham post. I am still upset by this. Such a great man and we have lost him. I am still tearing up.

Two officers in Arkansas, many more wounded over the last few days too.

Ann T.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
There will never be a "quick fix" when it comes to the sheer scope of the problems our society has.

Role models ARE out there, just not in as abundant supply as before. We have to look HARDER to find them.

And it's rarer still to see ANYONE come from a perfect family...there are always issues, but how the family (or we, as a member of that family) DEAL with those problems, rather than ignore them or allow them to fester, makes ALL the difference.

Time and again, we will see our government go and slap yet ANOTHER "band-aid" on what is thought to be "only a little scrape", in spite of the fact that this is indeed, a compound fracture of society's leg (that could turn gangrenous at any time)!

Every program created so far, has done NO REAL, long-lasting good.

It has aided a few, while promoting (and rewarding) bad behavior with many.
I mean, WHO really would WANT to become a useful member of society when the government is leading you by the hand through life?
The only things missing are the strings attached to the extrmeties with these people.

That doesn't seem like a real definition of FREEDOM...OR EQUALITY.
Sounds a bit like...slavery.

But, I could be wrong.
I'm just sayin'...

*** As to Officer Wortham...too soon gone, too long remembered...

Shouldn't have to EVER be that way.

Hey, thanks for stopping on over.

Have yourself a great weekend, in keeping with the situation.

indy said...

i have someone cut the grass 2 times a month. they also hauled away trash someone left in my drive. it was 2 pickup loads of crap. now they will be putting up boards to board up my garage that i never got around to fixing and the one window that has been broken. i cant wait till the house is in the banks name bob. i am only doing this stuff to keep the heath department away from me. its 291.00 a cut down here in indy. much cheaper for my maintance man to do it and the money goes in someone i knows pockets.

the plan to keep americans down (it really dont matter what color) is an illumaniti plan that the government (wont really matter we will be world wide in about 50 years) is all for. keeping the drugs in the streets. etc. its the devils plan and the only way the common folk can escape it is to stay on the path of rightousness. (sorry about the spelling)truely God is the only way out of the proverty you speak of and i dont doubt those 3 blocks are their whole entire life. going across town is a big thing for them. and i see this all the time in indiana. it really dont matter who they are. it could be some rich kids in zionsville. go figure.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
With all the rain we've had...I've got to cut the lawn a LOT more often.
(and that means packing heat while I mow - more added weight...lol)

It doesn't take much to do the right thing and keep things looking nice.
It DOES take the willingness TO WANT TO DO IT, however.

As much as I would LOVE to see NO poor folks, I also think there MUST be some kind of "plan" in place to keep a portion of the populace "fat, drunk and stupid"...oh, and on the government DOLE to boot!

Ever since LBJ waged a "war on poverty", we haven't seen the "numbers" we were SUPPOSED to see. No real "victory" in sight.
Just more battles to wage.

Seems every year, there are MORE poor people, and they aren't even close to being the kind of POOR I remember.
(ever notice HOW MANY liquor stores and places that sell cigarettes and junk food there are in blighted sections of any city? Wonder who is behind THAT, hmm?)

Having the government hand you everything while you sit back and take it all in (and still demand more), is NEVER going to get those folks OUT of poverty, off their asses into gainful employment, OR out of believing themselves to always be "the victim".

It's a nice vicious circle that's been established.
And it will be DAMN hard to break.

But "we" already know that, right?

Thanks a lot for stopping on by.

Have yourself a great weekend.

Slamdunk said...

Nice work with the yard tags. Unfortunately, you likely bank at the company who owns the houses and they'll just stick some extra charges on account holders holdings to help pay for the lawn cutting. Banks...

I remember there was a apartment complex we had all sorts of problems with in the area that bordered my zone (it wasn't my problem but I had to back-up lots of calls there). One smart officer contacted the owner and had a meeting with him--the owner at least was open to officer suggestions to clean the place up.

During the meeting, the owner revealed a gem--that all of his apartments were leased by females. There was not one male who was supposed to be living there. We quickly posted no trespassing signs, with the owners blessing, and began hauling off any males found on the premises at 2 am--especially the ones shouting "But I live here!"

It quickly became a quiet and boring complex.

Have a good weekend as well.

Bob G. said...

Slamdunk:

LOL...that apartment story cracked me up (I live here...yeah, right)!

"Sorry,Bub...this place is NOT 'co-ed' in ANY way."
I love it.

As for the signs...the city gets NCE (code enforcement) to place them for the weeds, and then they have FIVE days before the city charges to mow.

ANy "other" signage I post on MY property (and I ONLY place small placards on my screen door), doesn't seem to do ANY real good...no one around us can bloody READ...LMAO!
(but they sure can jaw-jack...and LOUDLY)

Guess that's what happens when the government GIVES you everything (even education), but you get a bit choosy with what you take for free...

Damn shame the city won't let me place tripwires around the perimeter of my place...and you already KNOW that my MOAT and TREBUCHET ideas got shot down - ROFL!

I can see their point about the tripwires...don't want an OFFICER DOWN when he's chasing a perp around my house at 0230 hrs (like they did a few years back).

QUiet and boring...yeah, I can SO do that these days...!

Thanks for dropping by, and have yourself a great weekend!

Diane said...

Hey I like the trebuchet idea. You could practice for the 2011 Punkin Chunkin. (not sure where it's held, looks like lots of adult beverages in cans are consumed by watchers).

My sister once tried to make the comparison of my husband working while I was at home raising the kids, the same thing she was doing by sitting at home getting welfare. I almost punched her in the mouth. I told her we didn't go next door when we needed to pay a bill and take their money.

The area in NY that my parents grew up in, is now the sane way only worse than your area (from your description). The house that he was born in, was a crack house when we drove by it (we drove by, doors locked, didn't stop at the stop sign); and there were hookers hanging around. He was really bummed out over the way the neighborhood had gone to hell in a handbasket. Mom was from a block over, but her old house was gone, and there was a housing project in its place.

Have you considered a paintball gun? :P for those noisemakers in cars.

Bob G. said...

Diane:
NO punkins around here to "chunk"...lotsa "neighbors" (read ammo), though, ROFL!

Don'cha LOVE it when people compare everyone that is home "equally", like they're ALL on the dole and lazy?
The stupidty displayed by people like that AMAZES me!

Just becasue someone IS home, doesn't automatically make them a ghetto-flea!!!
I'm a perfect example of a house-hubby (Monday's post will describe some of the fun stuff), and I work my ass off every week...and don't pull a "paycheck" - I EARN my "way", none the less.

All the "old" neighborhoods we all grew up in are long gone,and filled with human vermin...damn sad.
Somehow, the first word regarding this state of affairs, that does NOT come to mind is...PROGRESS!

As for the paintball gun...oh, sister ahve I got a nice one.
Damn thing is, sounds like a .22 goin' off...LOL!

Still - got PLENTY of CO2 cartridges AND paintballs (nice RED color)
Only a matter of time before I use it, trust me.

Thanks for stopping on by and commenting.

Have a great Sunday.