27 December 2010

Monday Musings...
First off, I'd like to trust that everyone spent a wonderful Christmas wherever the four winds led them, even IF it was at "Homestead Heights", as my Dad used to call it. There's nothing wrong with being a "homebody".
And there's nothing wrong with keeping the holiday more "intimate" as a result.
Here, at the bastion of sanity, otherwise reffered to as the "Bobby G. Fortress of Reason", we had a pretty decent Christmas.
We had a duck (with orange sauce, prepared by yours truly) for dinner.
Now, if there is one problem with serving duck, it's that the leftovers don't last AS LONG as with a turkey (dammit).
They DO leave a lot of grease in the roasting pan, so always make sure you drain it off with a baster or have a deep enough pan to catch all of it.
Otherwise, you might have "company" for dinner in the guise of the local FIRE DEPARTMENT.
(and I'll tell you...those boys can EAT)
Funny thing about gift-giving between the Missus and I...we don't hog-wild, and it's certainly not because we "have everything"...far from it.
No one ever does.
We just get more meaningful things...things that come more from the HEART than from the Hip-National Bank.
We DID get a huge bag of dog food and one of cat food for the local SPCA...trouble was, they were CLOSED on Christmas Eve...go figure.
They WILL reopen tomorrow, so we'll be dropping off the (belated) goodies for all the waifs on four feet.
That's fast becoming one of our "traditions" for the holidays.
Another tradition is watching Garfield's Christmas...and Scrooge (1951 version)...and White Christmas.
(And yesterday's viewing of all THREE of the Lord of the Rings movies didn't hurt much, either...lol)
Somehow, watching the whole gratitude and redemption thing seems all too appropriate at Christmastime, and it should be year-round.
Now, when it comes to "gifts" in our part of town, there are those that obviously DID NOT GET what they wanted...such as a MUFFLER for that POS minivan up the next block. Must have been naughty.
And we also had our share of boomcars even ON Christmas...you'd think that such idiocy would take a freaking day off...but no.
I would have thought that Santa had gotten them a few CITATIONS to stick in their stockings...again, no.
One asshat was riding around and doing wheelies along the street in the snow on his (street-illegal) ATV...
Now HE was asking for a gift from the jolly elf and his helpers, but not a creature was stirring...not even a B shift police officer (obviously).
After a time, you do get used to not seeing the patrols in the ghettohood that you KNOW you should be seeing.
I mean, *I* see all the crap happening, so I know it's there...why not the police?
Makes 'ya wonder...
And wonder I shall again this New Year's Eve, when the sound of GUNFIRE will be heard (usually) around 15 minutes BEFORE midnight, until at least an HOUR AFTER midnight...and I (again) never see ANY FWPD patrols in the area.
That's a "typical" ghetto New Year around here.
Lots of idiots with lots of (illegal) guns and lots of drugs and booze for "seasonal courage" doing what low-lifes (by choice) do naturally...causing alarm among the few normal people still left here.
I'll be watching as I do every year for anyone using a firearm in my area...a RESIDENTIAL area...with all the houses that don't stop bullets too well.
That's OK, though...it's another "tradition" - go outside on New Year's Day and visually inspect the house for bullet holes...LOL.
Now...how about that EAST coast blizzard?
I've been following this, because I'm from Philly (where cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, and hoagies reign supreme), and this is looking pretty serious.
NYC streets are barren, and as far south as S.C. are feeling this storm smack them right in the kisser.
It reminds me of that blizzard we had back in the winter of '78-'79.
That was really fun (not).
I was snowed in over at my girlfriend's house (in Echelon, NJ, about 40 minutes from home), and it was the first (and ONLY) time I saw snow come UP past the windshield on my Torino!
I had to dig out JUST to get the damn door open...forget driving anywhere soon. Luckily, the car started right up, and I had more than a 1/2 tank of fuel...to go NOWHERE.
We DID manage to get my girlfriend's sister's old 1966 VW Beetle dug out enough to start it.
The weird thing, is that it started straight away, and it climbed ON TOP of all the snow, so we could DRIVE somewhere else...astounding.
Amazing little car...with the worst interior heating system on the planet.
Yeah, that was a helluva storm system.
And this current one is right up there, too.
When they roll out those huge construction FRONT-LOADERS to clear streets...it's SERIOUS.
When the quickest way to get around town is walking...it's serious.
When Dad "commandeers" Johnny's SLED for toting provisions from whatever store is still open back home...it's serious.
Hopefully, the idiots will stay off the streets out East, and allow the cities to do THEIR jobs, and that the citizens will not panic, but keep their heads about them and realize that this is ONLY nothing more than "global warming" in action...(rolls eyes).
Yeah.
We here in the Midwest got off lucky...and we're staring at temperatures tickling 50 degrees by week's end.
And naturally, we'll all be waiting for that "other shoe" to drop, meteorologically-speaking.
Weather changes here by the MINUTE some days...ask anyone living out here.
In the meantime, if you're not snowed in, I'm sure you're scarfing up ALL those post-Christmas sales, right?
We maxxed out last year on cards, gift wrap and extra lights, so we're good for this year (and the next, it would seem).
Still, there is usually "something" out there we might want to add to the pile...somewhere.
This is one of those weeks where the living is relatively "easy"...for a change.
The last gasp of 2010, as it were.
According to author Arthur C. Clarke, this was supposed to be the "Year we make contact", as per his followup novel to the first book, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Well, if "they" (the contactees) came, they probably left here laughing their alien asses off...wouldn't surprise me, especially if they followed (earth) POLITICS.
So, in keeping with that theme, maybe we'll take a look back at this year (in between the crime and other things happening around us) and see if we're prepared to LEARN from the PAST, in order to make the proper changes in our PRESENT...so we can preserve our FUTURE.
(wow, Bob...whatta concept)
Yeah, well if we don't do that, we will be destined to REPEAT it (again), and I don't know about you, but I always hated repetition like THAT.
Kinda gives one something akin to Carpal Tunnel of the BRAIN, hmm?
So take care if you're suffering bad weather...pace yourself, and don't go anywhere if you don't have to.
Common sense should be job-one.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay safe out there, America.

8 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I am glad you had a cosy holiday with the Mrs. It sounds fantastic. I love duck, as I said before, and you're right about the oil in them.

My mother-in law used to stuff them with wild rice dressing with some fruit in it. Fabulous!

Somehow the storm missed DC and i have no idea why. I think the good Lord knew we had no snow removal contract here and gave us a break. (LOL, I'm sure He's got bigger concerns by far).

As for the guns on the street go, New Year's Eve is the one that scares me. As you say to so many,
Roll Safe Out There.

Sincerely,
Ann T.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
No snow removal in D.C.?
Say it ain't so!

I've got a nephew at Engine 11 in the city...hope he's doing OK with the snow (VA got hit I hear).

If I had one (selfish) "wish" for the holidays, it would befor us to be able to have the resources (and space) to have all you faithful "bloggists" to our house (gonna new a few more ducks for that one...lol).

Thanks for taking time to stop on by the fence today.

(Hot cocoa time for sure.)

ms nk rey said...

I see no mention of Mrs. Bobby G.'s diamond...am I to gather it is already in the vault for safe keeping? The blizzard of 78 I lived in Logansport had a new baby and 3 older boys.. I am ashamed to say I gave the older boys money and sent them over to the Happy Burger to eat. I really, really needed some quiet time. They made it just fine and laugh about it now. And your duck dinner makes me think of "The Christmas Story" and the Chinese Restaurant scene. You and Mrs G keep warm and safe up there.

Bob G. said...

Msn:
I got a chunk of coal in the workbench vice downstairs...we should have diamond in about 5,738 years (give or take)...lol.

Some are saying this blizzard back east is the WORST in 6 decades...
I'd say it's on PAR with 1978, but it's not worse.

People will make it worse, when they forget how to handle the situation and resort to panic.
(oops, sorry...no APP for that on the 4G network...ROFL)

We'll do our best to keep the homefire burning.

Thanks for taking time to stop by today.

The Observer said...

Bob G:
Just don't pour that grease down the drain--clogs the system up something wicked. Back when I was in an apartment, the dude in the apt next to me poured chicken grease down our shared line--MY reward was nasty smelling black water in my kitchen sink! My mom would just pour that grease in a metal container and let it harden, then toss it out with the garbage--makes more sense to me. Ah, the fun of apartment dwelling.

As to VWs, the best two wheel drive car in the snow those rear engine VWs. But crap for heat once the heater tubes rusted out. When I went from a VW to a water cooled Ford, the heater was a revelation! I didn't have to bundle up to drive the car.

Yeah, I don't understand the gun thing on New Year's either. Get some fireworks if you want to make noise.

They are talking thunderstorms, followed by a 20 degree temp drop here in KC at the end of the week.

Please to visit the comments section of my Dec 24th post entitled "Some Christmas Music" for a short tutorial on embedding videos--hopefully it will be helpful.

Have a great week.

T.O.

indy said...

at least you dont have a teenager talking about making you a dimond when you die. she wants to wear me on her neck forever. how creepy is that?

this was my daughters first christmas that she was guilty about receiving gifts....i think someone is growing up....lol

Bob G. said...

T.O.:

Already dumped the grease...BUT, I ran HOT WATER down the drain for several minutes BEFORE pouring the grease (warm pipes do not a grease clog make...or so my Mom used to say).
I like your idea much better...less chance of getting burned.

So YOU had a VW Beetle expereience too...marvelous!
Yeah, seemed to be colder INSIDE the damn car that OUTSIDE, didn't it?

We used pots and pans when I was growing up...that was noise aplenty for New Years...must be a "cultural thang" with these animals.

We're looking at some RAIN, too around the weekend - highs near 50!

I will DEFINITELY visit your comment section for embedding videos (then look out world...LOL)

Hey, thanks for taking time to stop by and thanks for all the GOOD info!

Stay safe.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
Turning YOU into a diamond???
Okay, now I'm creeped out as well.

But, you always seemd like such a shining example of being a GOOD PARENT, so I get "where" she;'s coming from.

Ahh, the "guilt-trip"...gift-getting gig...yes, she is indeed becoming a lot more AWARE of people.
(and that can breed some very cool things as she grows up)
She might wind up WANTING to do more for OTHERS...you never can tell.

Thank you for stopping on over today.

Stay safe down there.