16 August 2011

It's Now Or Never...
I could apply that phrase to a LOT of what's been going on either here in Ft. Wayne, across our nation, or even the world.
We all need to make some decent choices in the near future, some good, some...not so good, but all for the sake of preserving our ways of life.
And by our way of life, I mean those guaranteed RIGHTS in our founding documents...LIFE, LIBERTY and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.
But the title phrase of this post means something else on this day, and it's a pretty big deal.
-- (Gold was discovered in the YUKON, right Bob?)
Well, yeah, that DID happen on this day back in 1896, and made some folks rich.
Leave it to one George Carmack to spot some gold nuggets in a creek bed, and well, the rest IS history, as they say.
And after all this time, about 200 small mines STILL operate in the Klondike region.
(Lord knows we can use more gold)
But that's not THE most important aspect to this day....
These are a few of the things that happened today (in years past)
-- Legendary slugger Babe Ruth died on this day in NYC at age 53 (1948)
-- The Battle of Bennington, Vt was fought during the Revolutionary War (1777) - BTW, we WON that one.
-- The Original Siamese twins (Eng and Chang Bunker) arrived in Boston (1829), and their fused liver is still in a jar in the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, and I have seen that a few times in my travels...amazing to see. They are "formally" buried in Mt. Airy, North Carolina. They had 21 children.
(don't ask, I have NO idea...)
--
(Today marks the anniversary of the FIRST issue of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, right Bob?)
Well, yes, THAT also happened on this day back in 1954, and it has become THE single most read sports publication...especially it's yearly SWIMSUIT ISSUE (though I doubt if that issue is really "read" that much...lol)
This day has an even more important tone to it, aside from bikini-clad beauties...
-- (Algeria was admitted to the Arab league, right Bob?)
Well, you're getting warmer.
That happened in 1962, and we all know how WELL Algeria's done since then, right?
No, we're still missing a very big day...think "music"...
Today marks the anniversary of the DEATH of none other than ELVIS PRESLEY at his home in Graceland back in 1977.
I grew up listening to his music all over the place. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing one of his songs...he was that prolific on the radio.
And my Mom loved his music. She would get the LPs, so she would play them on our stereo, a Zenith floor model with opening louvres for the speakers - it was a damn piece of FURNITURE...that played music (radio and record player).
I remember where I was when we heard this come over the news...
I was running my company's mainframe at the Philadelphia Public Ledger Bldg downtown.
(when computers took up a whole ROOM, were a LOT easier to handle..and rarely broke down)
There were actually people in our building crying over the loss of such an icon.
And to think that Elvis died at age 42...!
Cripes, here I am, sixteen years PAST that year (and fast rolling up on the nineteenth anniversary of my 40th birthday in less than a week...lol)
Back then, we didn't think of that as dying "AS YOUNG", as when we get older, and look BACK.
And a legend was gone...that fast.
I really don't know anyone that disliked ALL of Elvis's music...there were some songs way better than others, and certain songs which invoked that emotional response we all have.
My favorite Elvis song is not really one of the traditional R&R songs he cranked out, but rather a gospel song he performed, called Peace In The Valley.

To me, that is one beautiful song, and he does it proud whenever I hear it again.
Not to sound macabre, but if I had one song to play at my funeral, THAT would be it...and done BY ELVIS.
Naturally, I think many of his songs are marvelous, and I think I have seen ALL his movies more than several times each.
Sure, they were campy, and had a bevy of beauties in them, along with some fun songs and fantastic scenery, but they were fun flicks (thanks to Hal Wallis). Only guy I knew that ran a tuna boat in Hawaii and sung his way through life's ups and downs...LOL.
Be nice if WE could do that, hmm?
Elvis was one of those people that only comes along ONCE....no matter how many lifetimes pass.
Another fantastic song of his was AMERICAN TRILOGY...

The songs he recorded all those years ago have those timeless aspects to them...still every bit as good NOW as they were then.
So today, we remember the man...the music...and the memories....
And God, could that boy SING...
So, here's to some beginnings, some endings, and a whole lot of "in-between" among the mix.
Let in not be said that TODAY isn't chock full of stuff.
(and it's ONLY Tuesday)
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay safe out there,America.

9 comments:

ms nk rey said...

I still remember where I was and what I was doing when my friend called and told me Elvis was dead. I can't believe it was so long ago. Great post Bobby G.

Bob G. said...

MSN:
This seems to be one of those moments on our history...not quite pivotal...or even seminal, but certainly WORTHY of our attention.

Hope you like the music, too.

Thanks for stopping by to comment...
(and humming along w/ The King!)

Stay safe down there.

Wrexie said...

Listening to "Dixieland" made me think of my dad. He grew up in KY...and loved that song. I heard it a lot growing up..especially after we moved to IL.

Nice post.

Bob G. said...

Wrexie:
The thing about Elvis...there was always SOME song he did that SOMEONE would like.

His appeal to damn near everyone was his greatest legacy.

I'm glad you liked the song.
I trust it brought back some GOOD memories for you.

And I thank you for spending a little time here today to comment.

You stay safe out there.

CWMartin said...

I was listening to a baseball game- I think Reds-Cubs, but might be mistaken on the Reds- and my sister and mom were in the kitchen fiddling with mom's hair She thought I was joking (God knows why anyone would joke about that). I think you have a great song pick there, Bob- not many better ways to go out than with the King singing Gospel.

CWMartin said...

Oops, the years and my memory. It had to have been my dad getting the hair treatment, mom was waiting at the gates for Elvis back then.

Bob G. said...

CWM:
If there are things we recall, it's our parents and Elvis.

I'd like to believe that our Moms are STILL listening to the
"King"...only they have a LOT better seats these days, eh?

Thanks for taking time to drop on by today and comment.

Stay safe (and rock on) up there.

gadfly said...

I guess there is more than one way to celebrate The King today. How about Michelle Bachmann in South Carolina:

Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann got her Elvis Presley dates all shook up during a campaign stop Tuesday in South Carolina. The congresswoman from Minnesota played the Elvis tune "Promised Land" at a local restaurant and told the crowd of 300 that she wanted to say happy birthday to the king of rock `n' roll.

"Before we get started, let's all say happy birthday to Elvis Presley today!" Bachmann said.

But Aug. 16 is the anniversary of Elvis' death, in 1977, and someone in the crowd shouted back, "He died today!"

Bachmann didn't respond and launched into her speech.


Here is "Promised Land."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krh0nrJHx1c

Bob G. said...

Gadfly:
It was truly and "OOPS" moment for the congresswoman...maybe she needs to knock off the coffee a bit earlier.
ELvis was born 8 January.
(in case she reads this blog...lol)

As to the link to the Elvis song...

Well, THAT one happens to be my SECOND favorite, and I still have the LP with the same title.

The movie MEN IN BLACK did that song some REAL justice in the "tunnel scene" with that '87 Crown Vic....LOVE that car!

Hey, thanks for stopping by and commenting.
And thanks for that link, too.

Stay safe out there.