19 September 2011

Monday Musings...
A nice rainy start to the week out here in the Heartland of America.
And later down the post, I'll do something I don't do on a regular basis here...critique a movie.
But first, some of what's happening in the news.
*** I'm sure all of you heard about that tragic crash at the Reno air races.
Pilot Jim Leeward grew up here in Fort Wayne, and was a very good friend of Tom Kelley (auto dealer, and all around nice guy).
An article about them appeared in today's paper:
Now, I was telling Mrs. Bobby G. the other day that the old Wide World of Sports used to show the air races on TV, and my father and I watched them religiously. Today, you'd be hard-pressed to find any channel (from the vast number we have today) that shows an air race live.
Such notable aircraft as the P-51 Mustang, the F8F Bearcat, the P-39 Airacobra, and even the Hawker Sea Fury participate.
And this is only ONE class of racing planes.
There are biplanes, the SNJ/AT-6 Texan classes, and the experimental classes.
Women have been an integral part of air races dating back to 1929 when female pilots were first allowed to participate in the U.S.Transcon air race.
For all the lowdown you can visit the website of the "99's" found here:
So, take THAT guys!
The Powder Puff Derby was inaugurated in 1947, but due to insurance costs and lack of sponsorships, it ended in 1977.
Another air race in Martinsburg, W. Virginia claimed the life of a pilot who was flying a T-28 (trainer) as well this past weekend.
No reported injuries to viewers or bystanders.
Yeah, it's been a tragic week for air shows in America, that's for sure.
My condolences go out to those lost in both shows, as well as the injured in Reno.
Elsewhere, closer to home...
*** Here is more proof that some folks maybe SHOULD get an education on how to conduct one's life, especially around a place I like to call THE KITCHEN!
(( Published: September 19, 2011 3:00 a.m.
Apartment fire blamed on grease - Archie Ingersoll The Journal Gazette
Grease left unattended on a kitchen stove caused a fire that heavily damaged an apartment early Sunday on Fort Wayne’s southeast side, the city’s fire department said in a statement.
About 3 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to 2637 Stardale Drive.
When they arrived, flames and smoke were coming from the front of the two-story apartment, which had a working smoke detector and which is attached to adjacent apartments.
A resident escaped without help from firefighters. It took 17 minutes to bring the blaze under control, the department said.
No injuries were reported, and the fire did not affect the neighboring apartments.
Alrighty, then...
(( *rolls eyes* ))
How many reasons can YOU come up with as to WHY this is SO damn screwed up, hmm?
For example, WHO the hell do YOU know that leaves grease unattended at THREE-FREAKING-AM???
Except for Denny's and IHOP, I don't know of many others that are even COOKING at such a damn hour.
What the f$ck are these morons thinking?
Hey, maybe they're NOT thinking...that's what got the whole thing started in the first place...'ya think?
The level of stupidity demonstrated by some should literally astound the rest of us.
I'm more than certain that this particular person is of the "government-sponsored" variety, and will be given another place to live in (read attempt to burn down) soon enough. Perhaps a remedial course in HOME EC might be of value?
And for God's sake, get the headline CORRECT...the GREASE wasn't to blame for the fire...it was the IDIOCY of the person who left it on the stove unattended that REALLY caused it. The headline should read: Apartment fire blamed on DUMBASS who left hot grease on stove.
Yep, this is right up there with baby-mamas who fall asleep next to their infant, and then roll the hell over onto it, suffocating it to death.
*** But this person might even have a BETTER chance next time around, as evidenced by THIS story.
(( Groundbreaking Monday on lease-to-own home development in Renaissance Pointe
Updated: Monday, 19 Sep 2011, 4:17 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 19 Sep 2011, 3:56 AM EDT
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - WANE - Fort Wayne officials will help break ground on a new lease-to-own home development in Fort Wayne Monday.
Sixty-six new homes will go up in the Renaissance Pointe neighborhood, near the corner of Creighton Avenue and John Street.
It's an $11.6 million dollar project. Buyers will be able to rent the homes for 15-years, then have the opportunity to buy them at a discount.
Groundbreaking is scheduled for 11:30 Monday morning. Mayor Tom Henry, developer Kevan Biggs, neighborhood representatives, staff from the city's Department of Community Development and invited community partners will be in attendance.
All the fol-de-rol one could ever want...not that this is really NEEDED, mind you. The major inconsistency lies in the LEASE versus RENT aspect...which the hell IS it, folks?
There IS a huge difference between a LEASE and a RENTAL agreement....
Guess all those citizen "concerns" about CRIME were dutifully addressed and that everyone's fine and dandy with this going forward now, hmm?
(I'll believe it when I see it)
And I "could" make a snide comment about the whole "PORCH" community thing, but I promise to behave myself.
(for now)
You can build a bloody Beverly Hills venue down here and it won't be worth the space it takes up AS LONG AS the crime issue is not taken care of (and that would mean chasing it the hell OUTTA DODGE).
And when you never hold THOSE responsible for all the "stuff" that goes down to any level of accountability, don't cry the blues when whatever development you've performed goes down the crapper...because it WILL...just like ir has in the past, for if we never learn from history, we are destined to repeat it, right?
Looks real nice on paper, and will look nice when completed...BUT, how will it fare say 10 years down the dusty road?
At least it will be a NEW slum area...that's a perverse PLUS.
That is called PROGRESS, kids...
Ah well...time will bear the fruit of poorly-plated seeds, that much is sure.
*** Lastly today...saw a pretty good movie over the weekend on AMC entitled DEFIANCE (2008) starring Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber.
It's about 3 brothers who witness the murder of their family by the Nazis in Belarus (during the roundup of Slavic Jews), and who form a partisan resistance. All doesn't go that well, when other Jewish refugees come under their charge, and they have to wander through the forests to evade the Nazis while also trying to survive.
Damn good acting and a marvelous portrayal of a little-known event of WW2.
I highly recommend this movie, if you wish to see the capabilities of the human spirit and determination.
It reminds me of Schindler's List meets Exodus.
The film only made $50 million on the big screen, and it's usually flicks like this that are diamonds in the rough when looking for a good movie.
It's based on a TRUE STORY from the book by Nechama Tec titled: "Defiance: The Bielski Partisans".
I think you'll find it riveting.
In the meantime...
Have yourselves a great week.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay safe out there, America.


Slamdunk said...

Sad story over in Nevada, and I did not know about the connection to your hometown. Thanks for the history on racing.

I am surprised that it is not televised by some network--sounds like it would have appeal.

Bob G. said...

If the races are televised, they're keeping it a pretty good secret.
I didn;t know about the FTW connection until I heard it myself.

Seems like a lot of aviation history comes out of the Midwest...wonderfully surprising.

Thank you for taking time to drop on over today and comment.

Stay safe out there.

CWMartin said...

I can explain to you the 3 AM grease burning. Start with too much to drink, add the munchies. Mix in a little easy to prepare food, lightly sprinkled with enough non-firing neurons that you forget that the stove doesn't turn itself off.

Been there done this (a long time ago), and it is why I swiftly taught myself to remove skillet/pan from burner after use EVERY TIME. That way, you don't leave it on the burner you forgot about.

Bob G. said...

ROFL...I;m glad you did this a LONG time ago...you had me going for a minute.

I figured you saw your share of apartment dwellers that suffered from terminal CRS...!

Glad to see we both were cured some time ago from that affliction.

Thanks a lot for stopping on by today and commenting.

Stay safe (and fire-free) up there.