18 August 2016

Thoughts For Thursday...
Almost at week's end once again. Now this week seemed to pass a bit more quickly than most.
(must be the rain...and the semi-quiet that comes with it for us down here.
Now, I will confess that it's nice to go outside before the sun comes up and NOT feel as though it's mid-afternoon with the temperatures.
Our Hoosierland weather for today sees us with partly to mostly cloudy skies, a fairly good chance at some scattered rain showers, and temps reaching into the low 80s. And yes, some places have morning fog, so my guess is that humidity will prominently figure into this day, especially with any rain we get.
So, let's get that morning drink poured as we see what's been going down elsewhere...
*** First out of the history book is the answer to yesterday's WHO SAID THAT? quote:
"There is but one law for all, namely that law which governs all law, the law of our Creator, the law of humanity, justice, equity - the law of nature and of nations."
This was spoken by someone we have featured here several times, one EDMUND BURKE (12 January 1729 – 9 July 1797), and here is his WIKI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke
Burke was an Irish statesman, born in Dublin, as well as an orator, author, theorist, and philosopher.
(Don'cha miss times when people proudly wore that many hats?)
He served as a member of parliament in the House of Commons (after moving to London), with the Whig party.
He's most remembered for his support of the cause of the American Revolution. But he is also noted for his Catholic emancipation, and the impeachment of Warren Hastings of the East India Company, and for his later objections to the French revolution.
Today, he is regarded as the founder of modern day conservatism.
If you haven't already done so, take the time to read the WIKI and learn about someone who thought this nation worthy of praise, and that it's founding government was to be admired.
*** Next, it's time for our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
AUGUST 18 -
---Today is NATIONAL FAJITA DAY

(perhaps this should be a MEXICAN "national" day?
---It's also NATIONAL MAIL ORDER CATALOG DAY
(amazing we still have those around with the Internet)
---And, it's NATIONAL ICE CREAM PIE DAY
(it's ALWAYS a wonderful day for pie)
*** Next up, I know those of you interested in events in Fort Wayne have read that CURFEW story, so all I will add to that is "WHAT THE HELL TOOK SO DAMN LONG???"
Curfew presser.
The part I really like is putting the onus (of kids out past the curfew) on the PARENTS (or what's passing for them these days) with possible felony neglect charges for repeat offenses.
A shame we have to get to this point, but crime tends to do that to societies.
*** Next up, had some other crime happening (by older idiots).
---There was an armed robbery up north (again). Here's the story link:
http://wane.com/2016/08/18/fwpd-investigates-gas-station-armed-robbery/
This took place at the Lassus Handy-Dandy on Illinois Rd around 0100 hrs.
The perp entered the store with a gun, and got away with an undetermined amount of cash.
The store video should help on this one, when the police release it to the public (unless something went awry).
A detailed description of the suspect was not available (bets on the blackness of the perp).
The investigation is ongoing.
---And another shooting on the (take a wild guess)...SOUTHEAST side.
Here's the story link:
http://wane.com/2016/08/17/person-seriously-hurt-in-southeast-side-shooting/
This took place in the 2800 block of S. Lafayette St around 2200 hrs last night.
Police found a man suffering from a gunshot wound. He was initially listed as serious, but has been upgraded to fair condition. It's unclear if the man shot himself or was shot by another person.
( I know I've better things to do at 10 PM that shoot myself)
A nearby resident told the news crew that there have been lots of gunshots in that area for the last several days. Big surprise...NOT!
No arrests or suspects at this time.
*** Next, let's shift gears and say something less bad about our fair city.
At least they're NOT dumping trash.
We were lucky (?) enough to have a road crew roll through yesterday and resurface the street alongside our "Fortress".
Up one side...
Now, this wasn't a proper asphalt job, but more like a "spray and pray"...lol.
One truck came by and sprayed some sort of tar-like mixture on the street. Then a steamroller came by and ran over it. And that was about it...bing, bang, boom.
...And down the other.
Took less than an hour.
It's not a permanent fix, and I'm sure when winter hits, the shift in temps will have a lot to say about the quality of the work done yesterday. We shall see.
*** Next up, time to shift gears again with another installment of "The Hobo Chronicles"...
"Them's good eats, Bob."
Yesterday was pretty good. I got to dry out the towel in his shelter.
I will wash it this weekend, so it doesn't smell like damp cat...lol.
And no squirrels were stopping by...kinda odd.
"After that meal, I gotta rest."
The birds were around, but the rain kept the numbers down a bit.
(and I think Hobo has something to do with that as well.)
*** Next, we are fast approaching another year "millstone" in my life, and I noticed that in this week's Kroger flyer, they had the chocolate fudge icing cake ON SALE.
See, I even save my WIFE money when it comes to my birthday...LOL.
(how many hubbys do that?)
---But the really big news (for me, anyway),  is something I found online (where else?).
I knew they would eventually come out with one, and now...there it is.
I was "Hell Bent" on getting one...LOL.
It's the Doctor Who 12th doctor's sonic screwdriver (the new one from the end of Season 9). It's got four sounds and multiple light effects.
Now, you know me...I never pay retail (like at the BBC website) when I can land a bargain.
(which is easier than landing a TARDIS)
This is the coolest one yet.
Well, I'm working on that as we speak (got one from the UK on eBay), and hopefully, by month's end I will have one here (and for less than the $30 retail pricing).
Better a late birthday gift (for myself) than none at all, hmm?
*** Last back to the library stacks, it's been said that "He who dies with the most toys wins".
I certainly don't have the MOST...and I don't have the "best", but I have what I like and find interesting as well as cool. It's like anything one collects. There has to be a level of passion involved.
The same can be said of ANYTHING we choose to do in life.
(and some think passionias reserved solely for the realm of LOVE...silly them!)
I've collected stamps (got expensive for the rare ones), coins (ditto there, but I do have some rare ones), and trading cards (too many to collect every stinking year).
With most things in our life, we have to learn to become SELECTIVE, and that even goes for people we choose to befriend.
I've been both fortunate and blessed with my choices in that regard. I can also say that when it comes to collectibles, I've been similarly fortunate.
There are always more coins
Not everyone can collect EVERYTHING pertaining to a specific thing. Even those die-hard Star Wars fans can't seem to collect every item that ever existed. There is always a few things missing from every collection.
I don't fret such things. Any collections of mine are more representative of my life, rather than the collectibles themselves.
Part of my collection and my life.
I've always believed you can tell much about a person by what they like and collect. Call it a fondness for something specific that reminds them of something special.
And, since every one of us IS unique in the universe, it's only fair to pursue that uniqueness in all facets in our lives, no matter how trivial others may think them to be.
It's better than following the beat of a drum carried by others, does it not?
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Fajita Day- better not let Laurie hear you say that...

Curfew: Proving once again the best law to have is one you ENFORCE... we'll see if the Blonde Phantom actually does so.


LHD stick-up: Race cannot be determined as yet... no mention of Newports being stolen.


I try to shoot myself around 10 PM three nights a week. It relieves tension, promotes the flow of blood, and... oh, wait, I don't have a gun.


Great on the Screwdriver. I'm "still happy with my simple phone" version. But that does look cool.

And speaking of collecting, I think my back is requesting I collect some sack time... not a happy camper today. On the bright side, at least Time Machine is in the can before nightfall for a change, lol!

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---I apologize to Laurie, but I'm a taco-burrito kinda fella.
---That's ALWAYS the way - ENFORCEMNT of any law has never failed the public.
(now, about all those NOISE violations...lol)
---Didn't mention any smokes being taken...coulda been a wigga...heh.
---ROFLMAO...you sound too much like me (that's kinda scary, but in a GOOD way, mind you).
---There are some reviews of the new sonic (online)...works JUST like the DW prop.
They done (real) good on this one.
---Sorry to hear about the back. I've got my share of pains, but with me, it's gotta be the AGE thing - different days, different aches in different places...don't like such surprises...HA!

Thanks much for materializing on over today to comment.
Stay safe & get some rest up there, brother.