22 August 2017

Tuesday Tidbits - "Birthday Edition"...
Welcome to a wonderfully MOIST beginning to this day...kinda reminds me of a song (The Sky Is Crying - Stevie Ray Vaughn). See, music is still a universal "language", isn't it?
And, as the title of today's post alluded to, it is indeed my birthday...number SIXTY-FIVE to be exact. Another "millstone" (that's MILESTONE, Bob) in my life's journey...heh.
Even got my official SSI "handbook" yesterday to remind me.
(probably not AS useful as that Special Forces handbook I already have, though)
We'll get into that in a bit, and I promise it won't be THAT painful...
Our Hoosierland weather today bring us cloudy skies with rain showers all morning, clearing a little by this afternoon but with off and on rain for the rest of the day (so much for working on that tan...NOT). Temps will top out in the upper 70s.
Less heat - more humidity...can't seem to shake that, can we?
What say we all take a minute or three to get ourselves that refreshing drink (coffee for me, naturally), as we see what else is going one, hmm?
*** First out of the toy box is our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
AUGUST 22 -
---It's National Bao Day
(fancy oriental dough? That's the best you could come up with?)
---It's National Pecan Torte Day
(well, that's more like it...I know what that is)
---It's National Tooth Fairy Day
(believe me, I'm actively trying to KEEP my teeth these days)
---It's Never Bean Better Day
(it's a dog-owner's thing...thought it had to do with a can of Bush's)
---And today,  the DVD of Guardians of the Galaxy - Vol. 2 comes out.
So you can have a good idea as to where I might wind up.
I'm thinking Wal-Mart here. Chinese food and chocolate cake later.
Dinner and a movie...works for me.
*** Next up, and since it's Tuesday (and my birthday), I'm going to postpone the FWPD calls until tomorrow, and instead highlight some of the other "stuff" that took place today, so be warned...lol.
History:
1485 – The Battle of Bosworth Field, the death of Richard III and the end of the House of  Plantagenet.
Ouch, that left a mark.
1831 – Nat Turner's slave rebellion commences just after midnight in Southampton County,  Virginia, leading to the deaths of about 60 whites and approximately 250 blacks.
1851 – The first America's Cup is won by the yacht America.
(well THAT worked out pretty good)
1902 – Cadillac Motor Company is founded.
1941 – World War II: German troops begins the Siege of Leningrad.
1950 – Althea Gibson becomes the first black competitor in international tennis.
1953 – The penal colony on Devil's Island is permanently closed.
1962 - NS Savannah, world's 1st nuclear-powered ship, completes maiden voyage from Yorktown, Va,  to Savannah, Ga
1963 – X-15 Flight 91 reaches the highest altitude of the X-15 program (107.96 km (67.08 mi) (354,200 feet)).
I'm a rocket man...
1966 - The Beatles arrive in New York
1989 – Nolan Ryan strikes out Rickey Henderson to become the first Major League Baseball  pitcher to record 5,000 strikeouts.
2007 – The Texas Rangers defeat the Baltimore Orioles 30–3, the most runs scored by a team in  modern Major League Baseball history. The combined run total is also a Major League record.
Other Birthdays:
1862 – Claude Debussy, French pianist and composer (d. 1918)
1917 – John Lee Hooker, American singer-songwriter and guitarist (d. 2001)
1920 – Ray Bradbury, American science fiction writer and screenwriter (d. 2012)
1925 – Honor Blackman, English actress and republican
Strictly the outdoors type.
1934 – Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr., American general and engineer (d. 2012)
1939 – Valerie Harper, American actress
1939 – Carl Yastrzemski, American baseball player
1945 - Steve Kroft, American journalist for 60 Minutes, born in Kokomo Indiana
1947 – Cindy Williams, American actress and producer
1949 – Diana Nyad, American swimmer and author
1950 – Scooter Libby, American lawyer and politician, Chief of Staff to the Vice President of  the United States
1952 -- Yours Truly (Bobby G.), American bon vivant, jet-setting jack of many trades and curmudgeon-at-large (and if you believe that...)
1963 – Tori Amos, American singer-songwriter, pianist, and producer
1964 -- Trey Gowdy, American attorney, politician and former prosecutor
1970 – Giada De Laurentiis, Italian-American chef and author
Now, SHE can cook!
1978 James Corden, British actor, comedian and television host (The Late Late Show), born in  Hillingdon, London
Well, that's some pretty heady company, isn't it?
*** Next up, I know you're all asking: "What the hell does it feel like to be THAT old, Bob?"
Considering none of you have reached this particular point in YOUR lives, I will try to explain it.
I'm sure as hell NOT any longer.
(Chris Martin could probably do it better, but he's way too young...lol)
It's kinda weird, actually. You know what the number is, but you're wanting to quietly deny it.
You remember when you were young and saw people who were 65 years old, and that they seemed ancient (mostly, they were your grandparents), but they were also cool, because every time you visited, they were HOME...heh.
They'd tell stories about when they were young (as you were), and that was always great to hear such tales.
Little did you know none of them were made up...but TRUE.
And the older people were never at a loss to let us know how much better the world had gotten since their youth.
Can't say I'm at want to share a similar story with any young'uns.
The world USED to be better, but somewhere along the way, society got side-tracked, but we won't dwell on THAT right now. We can always revisit that at another time, right?
Let's just say that having a 65-year old body is not the same as having a 65-year old MIND.
All sorts of assorted aches, thanks to arthritis, which plays holy hell with manual labor about the house these days, vision that's wonderfully sub-par,...at least the hearing still works fine (once you learn to tune out the damn tinnitus), but no sign of dementia yet...I guess I can call that a win.
And, I don't have a medicine chest full of prescription drugs os any kind...definitely a win there.
So that's about it, really...the physical end of it anyway.
As for the psychological aspect? That's the stuff of volumes, quite literally.
Let's just say that like everyone, I've some regrets, things I would change, but basically, I'd like to think I'd still be much the same person as I have become...that's not a bad deal, either.
*** Next up, let's take a break and drop by "Kitten Corner"...
Finally tired out.
The kids HAD to have been affected by that total solar eclipse yesterday, as they were acting like two hellions about the house. They simply had too much damn energy, and didn't know how to PROPERLY expend it.
And, they got into stuff they usually don't, but the house is still intact and nothing of major value has been destroyed, so...chalk up another win there.
Too pooped to play.
Let's hope the rain today tones things down to a level of normalcy.
*** Next, let's now check in with "Midnight and Company"...
As crazy as OUR cats acted, these two furballs did okay the whole day.
Midnight went for his morning "constitutional" and Whiskers stayed close by ALL day.
They have this "bunk-bed" thing going on with the patio table and chairs...kinda cute, really.
Hey, whatever works out for everyone.
*** Last back to the inner sanctum...normally, you'd hear someone say something like "well, it's the FIRST 65 years of life that's the roughest", but since none of us will get to enjoy another 65 years on top of the first, let's just say it's been one helluva ride so far.
Thankfully, the good outweighed the bad (again, so far).
I guess I can feel good about playing that song "My Way".
I know I could never have made it THIS far in life without some very special people, so allow me to offers thanks where it's warranted, because that's the way I was brought up.
My parents and certain relatives get the top spot here.
Then comes those teachers who opened doors to a larger world through encouragement and curiosity of knowledge.
There was one pastor (James McCluskey) who made a profound impact on my spiritual life by the manner in which he lived HIS life. Then there are some dear friends from the past, not all are still with us, but are remembered nonetheless. Friends who were like brothers in times when joining some gang or committing a crime was the FARTHEST thing from our formative minds.
There are also friends of more recent times who I have come to appreciate in many ways. The Internet has allowed that to happen and for once, technology did good there.
Then, there are co-workers (from every job past) with whom you build a level of ethics and trust in whatever endeavor you find yourself. You never forget that...or them. That also goes for a few bosses that were mentors.
Now, there are the ladies...beginning with the childhood playmates, and high school crushes, through serious relationships (many of which didn't pan out). Now those can be learning experiences, once you set aside the pain they can often cause.
My first wife and her family...funny how you never know how things will turn out in advance, but it was a good 7 years.
And I value whatever love and friendship we had to this very day.
My current wife, with whom the past 20 years would not be as entertaining as it has been. She's been a steadfast and devoted individual, and one who allows me to "be me". Not a bad fit, really.
Lastly there are the pets...all those lovable critters (adopted and befriended) that have provided a fullness of life you can't get anywhere else (And, you don't have to send them to college or buy them a car or worry about their dating habits...LOL).
Their total unconditional love has taught me a lot about people, and especially myself, and I will never forget any of them.
(That Rainbow Bridge is gonna get real crowded when next we all meet)
And last but certainly not least is GOD...He bailed my butt out of SO much and has stayed a constant through everything. Now THAT is a REAL WIN in my book.
So there we go then...I think I covered everyone.
(and they're only the souls we KNOW we touch...let's not forget the thousands we don't recall).
Here's to another birthday...another year older, another year wiser, and another year closer to eternity.
Guess that's worth some CAKE, right? Gotta have cake.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

4 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Yes, Giada can cook, but I noticed you posted a pic which shows off her assets. LOL. Just giving you a hard time. What a day. Is it Monday all over again? Egads. And the eclipse has calmed the masses for one day.

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:
---I DID?
That musta been some "wishful thinking" on my part...LOL.
---Whatta day?
Hey, YOU'RE not turning 65!!!
---Glad all the hype over the eclipse is over...now they're prepping for 2024 and the NEXT one...OY.

Thanks for rolling up today to comment.

Stay safe (and always younger than me) down there, dear.

CWMartin said...

Happy Birthday, you callow youth, you!

Had to check a peek of the SRV tune, didn't know it by name, but certainly by ear.


Hadda go through a bunch to get the point of the "Bean"... Certainly Scrappy gets his.


You know you're getting old when you were alive for 6 of the "things that happened on my birthday", lol!

Debussy did that "Sounds of the Night" that Bill Pierce used to open his Nightsounds radio show back in the day. Always loved that!

Diana Nyad older than you... there's one of those I feel old moments...


Now, at t-minus 10 years and counting, it still seems a lifetime away...I wonder if I'll say that after I turn around...


Maybe you should have gotten the indoor kittens "eye protection"... I was a pic of a horse being "protected by wearing a bra over its eyes, lol!


Wonderful closing. Hope I am copius mentis to do that in ten years...

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---Ahh, I WISH I were callow once again...for maybe a week.
---I figured that Scrappy would make out well on that one.
---Yeah, Diana...heckuva swimmer (probably still is).
---Whew, I'm glad you weren't referring to Bosworth Field...LOL.
---And the countdown never stops, my friend.
---Makes me safe in the knowledge that ANY horse Dolly Parton owns WAS protected...heh.
---Hey, you can always borrow anything I say. Lord knows there's a LOT of "universalness" or universiality" (Bob's lexicon...don't worry) in it for anyone.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Stay safe (and smart as heck) up there, brother.