11 September 2017

Monday Musings...
I decided to make the memorial post to 9/11 a separate one today, I feel it needs to have it's "own space". That means everything else can be placed in this post...more of a proper context thing, you understand.
It was a really GOOD weekend as far as being outside goes. Nice light jacket conditions with little precipitation.
Personally, I cannot imagine what it must be like for the people in Texas and Florida, though. Dealing with such conditions in America just seems so incongruous when you consider that we've been "the land of plenty" for as long as we have. My thoughts and prayers go out to those folks. Take time to count your blessings when you're out and about.
Our Hoosierland weather (here) will find us with sunny skies, temps climbing to around 74 degrees, and no hint of rain.
Meanwhile, let's get a refreshing beverage to chase away the mental cobwebs, as we see what's been going on elsewhere...
*** First off of the patio is our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
SEPTEMBER 11 -
---It's National Boss Employee Exchange Day
(yeah, I can see THAT happening...not!)
---It's National Hot Cross Bun Day
(now that would make a great breakfast)
---It's National Make Your Bed Day
(and you can sleep in it too...heh)
---It's Patriot Day / National Day Of Service and Remembrance
(check my PREVIOUS POST for TODAY...and remember to be a patriot)
*** Next up, the weekend overall wasn't bad.
Sometimes, you manage to salvage some things that are worthwhile from the maelstrom of idiocy outside your front door. Such was the case.
On Saturday, Wifey went  to a family reunion kinda gig in the Markle area (her side of the family), and since her Uncle Jeff and her Dad weren't going to be in attendance, I chose to remain at the "Fortress". Kinda glad I did.
Don't let the door hit 'ya in the ass on the way out.
On the "up" side, the locals who cribbed at a house down the street look to have moved out (always a good thing...sort of).
Happened at least ONCE every damn day.
They had this nasty habit of blocking the sidewalks with their vehicles because they had too many cars at the house and no idea HOW to park in the driveway (which could hold four cars easily).
Never a cop around when you NEED one.
And, they played music a bit loud for a residential area, like to double park...you know the routine with such government-sponsored people, right?
Just hanging out, like ALL the black males.
NO vested interest in where they live and no regard for anyone ELSE living on the damn street. Good riddance, but that means the next crew might be even worse...yeah, gonna cross that bridge when we get to it.
Get yer asses OUTTA the damn intersection!
As to the mini-thugs (and thugettes) living across the side street...well, they were under the influence of that foll moon, apparently, as they were running about ALL over the area.
There was 7 (total) running in the street, playing basketball, and otherwise acting out because they have no supervision.
In the later afternoon, I hear some loud thumps, so I went to see what the hell it was - three of them had chosen to stand in our alley and toss ROCKS (as in hand-filling size) at their house across the street.
I went out (they never saw me) to our fence and said "What are you doing?" They said "throwing rocks". I said "At WHAT?"
They said "At our house" (it was the garage really). I then asked the $64,000 dollar question: "Why?"
Tossing rocks is NOT a hobby, kid.
To that, I got the typical "huh?" I asked again, in a more stentorian tone: "WHY?" Got no answer, and a couple I'm sorrys.
I said "You know, there are a LOT of better things you COULD be doing". Got another "I'm sorry" out of that, and then the kids moved on.
I'll be honest...I don't know what possesses these kids today (other than evil intent). We were never like that, and respected both the property of others as well as our own (even if we rented the place). We also got our asses wailed when we stepped out of line.
Nothing like that today with these "children of the corn". It's all about what they can trash that's not their own.
Cripes, both fence gates have been pulled down, the no one ever fixed the section the former Latinos took down during a fight. a few years back.
Place looks like hell now...damn shame. We knew the original owners...good folk and took care of stuff. Love to see THIS crew move the hell away (soon).
*** Next...Thankfully, Saturday came to an end, and Wifey got home okay. That left us with Sunday, and our (now) annual trip out to Eagle Marsh for the Monarch Festival.
They had parking along Engle Rd (again) this year after not having it last year, so that was a godsend, and since we got there early, we got a great spot near where Engle was closed off JUST for the parking (easy access and egress).
A short walk to some tents set up along Engle (the barn was not being used this year) housed exhibits, a small lecture/video area, a farmers market and informational stuff galore..
It was there where I found my immediate favorite - a raptor handler, with a red tail hawk on his arm. Soarin' Hawks was the name of the raptor rehab center he was affiliated with, and they take in injured or sick birds of prey and make them well, to either be released back into the wild, or to take in when they can't fend for themselves.
Wifey and I hopped a shuttle cart to the barn, and from there, we walked along trail 8, which would eventually take us back up to the Engle Rd area (I didn't know how my legs would hold out).
We saw ONE monarch while hiking...that was it (where were they?), but we DID see a LOT of small frogs and grasshoppers.
I named this little guy Ralph.
Behind the barn area, at the one pond, we saw a string of geese and a duck that flew on by
Even saw a couple herons (near another large pond area along the trail) and a kestrel flying by.
Walking the trail, you get this sense of awe for the beauty...not hard to find it, either.
Wifey was later stopped by a reporter from the News-Sentinel who took a picture of her and then did a short interview.
Here's the link to the article:
http://www.news-sentinel.com/news/local-news/2017/09/12/slideshow-fun-flutters-through-monarch-festival-at-eagle-marsh/
Wifey was wearing her "monarch" shirt (and earrings), and I told her I was going to keep a running total of the compliments she got (the number was FOUR).
She's the fashion plate...I'm just the camo-clad grunt here. She IS becoming \quite the local celeb first w/ WPTA and now w/ the N-S.
We got a free milkweed plant after we stopped at the Pizza Bomba food truck (best small $8 pizza around...lol).
Yes, they had ice cold Dr. Pepper, too!
And, we got us some salt water taffy at a new stand there (lots of different flavors) - haven't had this since I lived in Philly and we'd go down to the shore to get us some.
On the way back, Soarin' Hawks had even MORE birds to see.
There was a barn owl, a screech owl and an eagle along with the red tail hawk we saw earlier.
The little screech owl was named "Peanut" and all the birds were molting.
This is "Peanut". I want one.
A nice drive home and a serious nap was in store after that. Great outing for us.
I got to LEGALLY walk down the middle of Engle Rd...cool.
It did make up for the previous day (for me) in spades.
*** Next, and speaking of naps...let's see what was going on at "Kitten Corner"...
Our kids were pretty well-behaved both days. They don't have to fret about the stuff I have to.,..that MUST be it.
They missed us on Sunday, and you could tell when we got home. Both were waiting at the door when we came in.
I left some food before we left, and then fed them when we got home...no one missed a step there.
Even had some time to take a peek outside.
And then, back to the "usual"...napping nearby while Daddy watched TV.
*** Next, time to check in with "Midnight and Company"...
Our two "homeless" feline friends were right where they should be...at our patio door awating their meals.
Saturday found Whiskers on patrol, while on Sunday, Midnight took off early, but he was there when we got back.
It's very nice to know that things near the "Fortress" are in good hands...er, I mean PAWS. LOL!
*** Last back to the family room...You know, it's times like yesterday that I really feel like a resident of Indiana...and in the BEST possible way.
The hospitality and congeniality you feel and are shown is wonderful.
It makes up for ALL the crap we deal with where we live, and the only shame is that we can;t have the same things shown in our very own neighborhood.
I saw a group of young black girls being taken through the exhibit area yesterday (by an adult, also black), and I immediately thought TWO things: 1) they were definitely out of their "element" (which was a good thing in many ways), and... 2) I hope to God that they come away from this having learned something. Sure beats tossing rocks at houses, doesn't it?
The event is open to ALL people, but few of any ethnicity take the time to show up. I saw (and heard) a few Latinos and that was about it. Life has so much to offer, if people take time out from their mundane existence to LOOK for it.
Thing is, many just go through the motions, serving themselves first and foremost.
The lack of SO many things makes people who they are every bit as much as those things we all have in any measure.
Dignity, respect, civility, morality, ethics, honesty...THESE are the pillars of which any normal society should function. Without these, not much good will issue from the people.
Communing with nature (for me) has a soothing effect - it allows me to draw closer to my Creator, and gives me a willingness to understand Him better. It also permits me the opportunity to become more than I am or have been the previous day.
And, isn't that the REAL goal we all should be striving for every day?
I think you all know the answer.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Wow- my boss would probably appreciate the exchange... bet I wouldn't...

Make your bed... I laugh-HA! and again- HA HA!

On the bright side, at least the kids were outside... (Cold comfort, yes).

I was wondering how big a butterfly crowd you'd get. To me, it seems they wait about a month too late to get the Ms... but I'm not a lepidopterist, so wadda I know (other than when they were at their peak around here...


"This is Peanut. I want one." That will go real well with the cats, squirrels, and bunnies...

They will have to ask if their traditional advertising reaches the ethnics in town. Not everybody gets their news the same way, and FTW is piss-poor at advertising local events. WANE in particular are the masters of after-the-fact promotion.

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---After all you related about the job, I think your COMPANY would benefit from such an exchange.
---It's a sleeping bag for YOU, then...lol.
---Maybe not COLD, but definitely "cool and bracing".
---They merged the Earth Day event because it was rained out earlier this year. I thought we'd get a larger turnout...but we left before 3 PM. Maybe they came later?
---Yeah, but he's SO damn CUTE (and if I get a large enough cage...? Be a real circus, that's for sure.
---Yeah, but when it's an "all-black" event, seems everyone (and their brother) covers it...wonder WHY that is?
Talk about exclusionary-inclusion, hmm?

Hey, thanks for stopping by to comment.
(missed having you out there with us)

Stay safe (and spiritual) up there, brother.