11 December 2017

Monday Musings...
I trust everyone around our part of Indiana liked the snowfall we received over the weekend.
While initial reports said we got LESS than an inch, it was more like OVER an inch near the "Fortress".
When I have to use ice-melt after I shovel to clear the sidewalk and steps, it's NOT under an inch.
(maybe the weatherpeople went metric, and I missed that memo?)
In any event, today will only add to the fun out there with scattered snow "showers" through the day, but not actually beginning until late morning or early afternoon.
Skies will be mostly cloudy with temps reaching to around 34 degrees, and it should not be near as windy as it was over the weekend.
Now, let's get that cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate poured (we might need more than one), as we see what's been going on elsewhere...
*** First off of the leaf piles is our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
DECEMBER 11 -
---It's National Noodle Ring Day
(to quote Sinatra - "Well ring-a-ding ding.")
And that's ALL she wrote for today there.
*** Next up, we did have a bit of crime going on (don't worry - no more homicides yet).
1) An officer of the FWPD is the victim of another hit and run.
Not the best way to get spare parts.
Here's the story:
http://wane.com/2017/12/09/fwpd-searching-for-suspects-after-officer-hurt-in-hit-and-run/
Thankfully, the LEO was not on foot, but in his freshly trashed cruiser.
The pickup that struck him crashed off the road nearby with the perp bailing, and as of today  was not in custody.
Beer cans were found inside the pickup, but it wasn't said IF it was connected to the running of the red light that caused the accident with the officer.
My money is on the perp being 3 sheets to the wind...and fleet-of-foot.
2) A man is found bleeding near Oxford and S. Anthony.
Here's the story:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20171209/WEB/171209862
Considering that shortly before the man was found (around 0100 hrs on 9 Dec) by officers, people had made calls to dispatch about "shots fired", so it's most likely gunshot wounds.
3) A woman gets robbed at one of those "no-tell motels" up on Goshen Rd.
Here's the story:
http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/police-fire/20171210/2-arrested-in-armed-robbery-at-inn
The Rodeway Inn was the location, and Paris Lee Abercrombie, 24, of the 3400 block of East Washington Boulevard was the one with a silver handgun (and a big mouth).
A TAXI is NOT a getaway vehicle.
Set up a meet to buy a smartphone, then rob the hapless victim...must make sense to someone. Abercrombie and his accomplice, Ethel R. Cochran, 37, of the 2900 block of Goshen Rd were caught fleeing in a taxi by FWPD officers and arrested. They are currently guests of the Allen County jail.
*** Next up, I'm having to do this "bachelor" gig once again, as Wifey's uncle Jeff passed away over the weekend, and she is driving (back) down to Vincennes for the funeral (and visit with her dad).
Naturally, I have to stay here and watch the cats (all four of them now), but that's fine. I've had my fill of funerals.
Yes, I know they're a part of life. I just get tired of grieving and watching others grieving. There's nothing I can do to ease anyone through this, and certainly not myself (been there with our cat last year).
MY main concern about Wifey driving down there is the ROADS. This is not the best weather and we certainly do not have the best drivers on these highways.
This was on U.S. 30 recently - not a pretty sight.
That often creates a perfect storm of clusterf*cks, like the other day when TWO semis decided to crash and close the southbound lanes of I-69 (near Huntington) for example.
These are actually BETTER modes of getting about.
I've had to drive (for a living) in crappy weather and road conditions such as these (for years), and with God as my co-pilot, came through unscathed. I have no love for driving when road and weather conditions are less than desirable.
That doesn't mean I WON'T drive in it. I'm just a bit more white-knuckled than usual when OTHERS are out there, too...lol.
I know what MY limits and abilities are, but I have NO IDEA AT ALL what the limits and abilities of EVERYONE ELSE are out there with me.
That is the kind of wariness that would sober anyone up (or should).
Here's trusting that God and St Christopher are awake nice and early today and watching over Wifey.
*** Next, time to visit our "Kitten Corner"...
Actually, the kids were pretty good most all of the weekend, with very few exceptions (mostly by Gallifrey).
Violet is getting into this "habit" where she will come up onto the living room couch and curl up by my leg.
It's a nice habit.
He prefers his own chair, but when he wants attention, he makes no bones about jumping ON your lap (even if you have a drink in your hand).  That's makes things a bit more "busy".
All this is in addition to watching the birds outside (we call it "pay-per-mew").
*** Next up, let's take some time to check in with "Midnight and Company"...
"Why YES, my butt IS cold. Thanks for asking."
The snow proved to be an interesting addition to the usual feeding times and "locale".
We had to figure out how to feed the cats where they wouldn't be sitting in the snow. Under the patio table seemed the best (and driest) bet. Of course, the birds came to the feeders, but the outdoor cats didn't seem to bother with them. I guess staying warm was a better priority.
"And, it's not MUCH warmer under HERE."
Whiskers was using the shelter, but Midnight still prefers to do things the HARD way and go anywhere else BUT the shelter. I'd wish he'd take a cue from his community partner.
At least they haven't missed any major meal events during this snow shower thing.
*** Last back to the driveway...there used to be a time when you didn't have to worry near as much and about a greater number of things as you have to today.
You used to have a better sense of security and safety, but that was because most everyone ELSE did as well.
People took to policing themselves in a much more comprehensive way than they seem to do these days, and that's why we have all this technology that's supposed to make everything as safe and AS secure as it once was.
Sorry, but I'm just not feeling the love there.
Otherwise, how would you explain increasing accidents on the roads? How do you explain the rise in violent crime (and crimes in general)? Why do we require home security systems?
One church in Fort Wayne is even taking to arming about 15 of it's congregation to stave off any active shooter situation. Have things gotten that bad that we have to resort to such measures?
It would appear so.
People simply are not paying as MUCH attention to facets of their lives that they used to.
They're too busy with FB or Twitter, or gleaning whatever is passing for news, or what is the most viral video, or sensational story shoved in our faces.
Amazing how often that last vowel is missing.
We're losing a lot of our capacity of what it means to be human, supplanting it with whatever fad comes down the pike, and patting ourselves on our backs for our ingenuity.
Society in general has become too permissive, and let out too many genies from too many bottles. We've turned Pandora's Box upside down, and became okay with that.
At this time of year, we should be drawing closer TO one another, and not to rob, pillage and steal FROM one another, but in joyous and thankful song, prayer and deed.
I don't know where all this misplaced behavior will end, but I do know where we should be focusing.
And anyone with a real sense of the holidays should know where to begin.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

4 comments:

A Beer for the Shower said...

Things are supposed to be safer than ever, and yet they're really not. Like with that potentially treacherous drive your wife is making - nowadays cars have things like automatic lane assist and automatic ABS and camera sensors that will warn you when there's ice on the road... and all it's really doing is making people pay attention to how they drive less. "Ah well, the car will figure it out for me." (Goes back to texting while driving in a blizzard)

I have a pair of cameras that tell me when there's ice on the road, too. They're called eyeballs.

I do hope your wifey travels safe, and you enjoy your bachelor time with the cats. I know I'd rather spend time with my cats than grieving at a funeral, too.

Bob G. said...

ABFS:
---Heh, the operative word here is "supposed".
I'm glad you also see this going on.
---I agree. When we stop doing what we NEED to be doing, (and what we were taught to know what was right) and instead allow some chunk of silicon to do it FOR us, we're on the wrong street going the wrong way.
---Eyes as cameras...now THAT is what I'm talking about!
And my other "driver assist" components are attached to my shoulders...called ARMS and HANDS.
--_Well it's more her side of the family (mine are all but gone now), so yeah...the cats are a comfort. I'm all "funeraled-out" at my age.
I don't even want to go to MINE (gonna try t be outta town that day)...lol.

Thanks for dropping on by today and commenting.
(always a pleasure)

Stay safe (and classy) out there, my friend.

CWMartin said...

All I can tell you about the snow depth is that I was trying to take a "football nap" Saturday afternoon when the grounds crew came past with the loudest snow blower on the planet.


National ambrosia day? Let me cue up Holding On To Yesterday...


Abercrombie: Musta watched that "uber" commercial from a few months back.


Two things on the funeral story. First, KC told us saturday that at its worst, the roads weren't that bad- the only problem being watching out for the other guy. Second, D and I had a FB chat when she posted abt the funeral. The convo turned to my co-worker/your soon to be new neighbor. She appreciated the info on the sex offender and laughed her butt off when I told her not to feed the "fatass black cat"! Another lady heard and she thinks your outdoor kids might be visiting her trash over on Lafayette across from Low Bobs.


"Pay-per-mew"- lol! Like Scrappy TV!


"We're losing a lot of our capacity of what it means to be human, supplanting it with whatever fad comes down the pike, and patting ourselves on our backs for our ingenuity." He shoots, he scores, sad to say.

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---Well, it MUST have been MORE than an inch for them to break out the "big rig" at your place.
(BTW, I also take football naps - whenever football comes ON, I NAP!)
---Ahh, you picked a WINNER w/ THAT song!
---LOL...he MUST have!
---KC is right. It ALWAYS comes down to the POTHER guy (or gal), doesn't it? I think the roads were okay as well.
---Yes, the FB chat...I figure the sex offender thing might be worth noting.
As for our fatass black cat that caused some chuckles? He doesn't go THAT far north (or near Lafayette), otherwise he'd NEVER hear me shake my keys (the dinner bell)...heh. Even HIS hearing isn't THAT good.
---Scrappy TV...HA!
---That close pretty much WROTE ITSELF (spiritual guidance, no doubt).
The score is on God. I'm happy to just get an "assist" on the play.

Hey, thanks for taking time to stop by and comment.

Stay safe (and keep warm and dry) up there, brother.