06 February 2019

Humpday Happenings...
Welcome to the wonderful midweek crisis we call WEDNESDAY.
And, we're off to a bit of a soggy start, but let's not allow that to dampen our spirit.
Our Hooiserland weather for today brings us mostly cloudy skies, temps reaching into the mid 40s, and yes, rain which will continue into tonight and tomorrow.
At least none of this is freezing, so be happy with that. Keep the umbrella handy.
Now, let's get  a comforting drink to begin this day, as we see what else has been going on...
*** First out of the ice-jammed river is our WHO SAID THAT? quote for the week:
"The media does play a vital role in our democracy, and if we cannot depend on journalistic ethics, the nation's in trouble."
Journalistic ethics...hard to find THAT in abundance these days, right?
It's as though some propaganda machine is rolling over what we used to call journalism.
So, who said that? The answer at the top of tomorrow's post.
Meanwhile, back at the Liberty University of Business...
*** Next, it's our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
JANUARY 6 -
---It's National Girls and Women in Sports Day
(no weight-lifting please)
---It's National Lame Duck Day
(this conjures up visions of an injured mallard to me)
---It's National frozen Yogurt Day
(got ahead of myself yesterday, and NO one told me)
*** Next up, homicide number one aka shooting death update:
https://wpta21.com/news/top-stories/2019/02/05/coroner-identifies-victim-of-saturday-evening-shooting/
The victim has been ID'ed as 31-year-old Tristan Tywan Norton Carter.
(Wifey told me social media released the name before the coroner)
*** Next, from the "You can't make this stuff up" department comes THIS:
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/02/04/college-professor-in-nyt-op-ed-blackface-mary-poppins-is-racist/
Mary Poppins...a racist? Wow, how low can some people go...really?
So all chimney sweeps are members of some racist cabal?
Sorry, that's marvelously beyond the realm of terminal stupidity.
How about a history of black face in cinema?
“Birth of a Nation” (1915) - this really WAS a racist film.
 (Woodrow Wilson loved it, and he was a democrat.)
“The Jazz Singer” (1927) - Al Jolson (blackface)
“Swing Time” (1936) - This was Fred Astaire (blackface)
“Everybody Sing” (1938)  -This was Judy Garland (blackface)
“The King and I” (1956) - Yul Brynner as an Asian king.
“Breakfast At Tiffany’s” (1961) - Mickey Rooney as an Asian
“Trading Places” (1983) - Dan Ackjroyd in blackface and dreadlocks
“Soul Man” (1986) - C. Thomas Howell in blackface
“White Chicks” (2004) - Wayans brothers in WHITE-face.
“Tropic Thunder” (2008) - Robert Downey Jr in blackface.
You could also toss in Johnny Depp as TONTO...(native-American face?")
---With honorable mention comes Gone With The Wind, Song of the South. and yes, even Blazing Saddles (which was a damn funny flick that made some SERIOUS money for the time.
Seems all of a sudden, society has gotten TOO damn touchy.
If you want JUST racism-related films, there's this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_racism-related_films
How many of these movies have YOU seen (and enjoyed) and how well did some of them do at the box office, hmm?
*** Next up, a very appropriate Bill O'Reilly column:
https://www.billoreilly.com/b/A-Bad-Moon-Rising-in-America/-62789386519833896.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=staff_column
A bad moon indeed.
Make me want to dig out the CCR album and play that tune again.
*** Next, it time to drop by our "Kitten Corner"...
My turn to be up here...
Our kids had a wonderfully calm day, and that means I wasn't tripping over either of them, as they tried to get to where I wanted to be BEFORE I got there...lol.
And now, it's my turn...
In the evening, they were both in the living room. She was on my chair, and he was on the other one, so that meant I had the couch all to myself.
One thing for sure, laser pointers never cease to "amaze" them.
*** Next up, let's check back in with "Midnight and Whiskers"...
Glad it's not snowing and freezing.
Our furry duo were awaiting the arrival of the wet weather, so that meant they were fed in their usual spots, with Midnight on the table (he does like the rooftop setting, while Whiskers was on the ground floor.
Great to have DRY paws for a change.
He missed lunch again, but was around for dinner and some back step treats when Wifey arrived back home. Whiskers chose not to attend, so she missed out. He stayed around keeping watch over the "Fortress".
It's great to have the two of them around, even if it does mean I miss out on the squirrels and birds.
*** Last back to the canoe rental...I did watch most of the SOTU from da prez last night.
And, I have to say for the most part, that it wasn't bad at all. Kudos to the writers for capturing more of the essence of America.
I will admit it was difficult to focus on the president with that haggard crome watching over him (Pelosi) like some vulture waiting for it's next meal to expire in some desert.
The democrat "response" by Stacey Abrams was noteworthy ONLY because she is the first black woman to give such a speech.
Naturally, there was a rebuke of anything Trump is TRYING to get accomplished, and that's understandable.
When you don't have anything GOOD to say, or can offer any positivism, by all means, go after the person.
I'm not a big fan (in general) of the SOTU speeches and the whole venue. We don't REALLY need it presented in this manner. Used to be a time when it was NOT done in the house chamber, but could just be a letter written to Congress.
I'd like to see something more like a "fireside chat" gig...talk to the PEOPLE.
Displays of arrogance do nothing for me when I see one side of a room not even show enough respect to stand up and applaud something that makes sense...or SHOULD be applauded.
Then again, "The hard part of playing chicken is knowing when to flinch".
(Captain Bart Mancuso - The Hunt For Red October - 1990).
Life can often imitate art. That is a fact.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Quote: Another quote comes to mind, from Thor in a John Byrne Avengers: "Say not if, brother... say rather, WHEN..."

I was okay with the Women in sports until you brought up weightlifting. And now, for East Germany...


We discussed this in the WBS comments- I feel the whole blackface thing is an attempt by the Dems to sacrifice Northam on something other than his stupid abortion statement.



Here's why I can't run for office: My first year at Arden, some kid shinnied up a girder, hand over handed until he was over a big pile of cushions (bagged up in 6 packs), and let go. This was in the old Harvester building, bags sucked up dirt like a sponge, and when he emerged from the pile, he was "blackfaced". I yelled, "Sing Mammy for me!"

"Hello, Fidel, how's hell?" Love it!


It might be more subject appropriate to play the 16 Horsepower cover of that song (from the very first M10). Covers the mood far better.


I have to tell you my SOTU story. My nephew, a proud conservative, posted something in favor of POTUS, and a "friend" shot back with, "He's going DOWN!" based on "All the lies he's telling". We asked her to name one. She delayed, and I suggested, "She's waiting for the Dem rebuttal to take notes." The poor dear tried to convey the thought that, indeed, the Dem rebuttal would highlight all these "lies"... BUT, what she SAID was, "If you want lies, watch the Dem rebuttal!" Gobsmacked by my opportunity to shoot fish in a barrel, I replied, "That's where I figured to hear lies too! Thanks for suggesting!"

Not content to look stupid once, she went on to suggest Trump was lying about "jobs". I told her (twice) that facts on the floor at my job prove otherwise, and my nephew went on to ask her why she didn't like job opportunity, economic growth, et cetera. After she told nephew he should stop watching the SOTU if he didn't want to hear lies, I said, "Maybe she works in government service (implying she was recently furloughed in the shutdown). He replied, "Well, she does work for the Post Office..." I replied, "There you go."

The gist of it p[assed by her tiny, entitled mind, and she (apparently thinking were were commenting on her poverty) said, "I probably make more than both of you."

We both replied, "Yeah, so?" She had no clue either of what we were saying, or what SHE was saying.


Concurrent with that hilarity, another FB friend posted, "The last time I saw that many Democrats wearing white, they were standing around a tree!" It made the whole thing worthwhile. At the end, nephew put up a meme about that scrub loser they had doing the rebuttal and commented, "Now to MSNBC for the rebuttal." I commented with a picture of Dana Carvey doing George HW Bush, saying, "Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent. Going to bed..."

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---That's a good quote...AND a VERY good memory.
---Yeah, that's probably the ONLY female sport that turns me completely off.
---Yep. To me, it's another instance of something taken out of context w/o checking into other situations just as applicable (but are otherwise ignored).
---LOL...you nailed the JOLSON reference. Props for that.
---I love Bill's take on things...he grew up around the same time as I did.
(another kindred spirit? I wonder)
---I will have to look into that song.
---ROFL...great SOTU story...(and very true).
Nephew has got all his "stuff" together, that's for sure. Good for him.
---Yeah, if you wanted Dems wearing white, roll back to the post civil war era down south (nice hoods, said Nathan Bedford Forrest).
LOL...wonderful end w/ Carvey...we need some comedian to mimic the left more.

Thanks for stopping by to comment (and get me laughing).

Stay safe (and stay DRY) up there, brother.