22 July 2019

Monday Musings...
I have to say that was one HECKUVA weekend, and not just weatherwise (for Wifey and I anyway. More on that at the close).
Yes, it WAS hot and humid, and it looks as though we'll be taking a break in that meteorological rut with a slight cool-dwn.
Our Hoosierland weather brings us ,mostly cloudy skies, temps rising to around 80 degrees( gonna feel like fall...LOL), and a light breeze. We might have a leftover shower or two roll through the area in the afternoon.
So, let's get things rolling with a nice comforting beverage, as we see what else has been gloing on...
*** First up...time for the  "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
JULY 22 -
National Penuche Fudge Day
(any type of fudge works for me)
National Hammock Day
(don't really want one)
National Rat Catcher’s Day
(Sorry, that's the cats' job)
*** Looks like we had another installment of "Our Daily Shooting".
https://www.wane.com/news/crime/two-shot-at-house-party-in-winchester-ridge-subdivision/
This took place in the Winchester Ridge subdivision in the 900 block of WInchester Lane ( Off Dinkelberg Rd) around 0130 hrs Sunday morning.
Police responded to shots fired at a "house party" there.
At least two people were hit by gunfire. Both victims were taken to a hospital; one in serious condition.
It's a nice looking neighborhood, but, as we often find out, looks CAN be deceiving.
I find it hard to think that this was NOT a case of blacks acting up, because this is the typical M.O. in our area (and especially a little farther north).
Plus, after seeing a spot on the local news channel, a woman interviewed (who asked that she not be ID'ed - her face was blurred) was black. She said "this don't happen in this neighborhood".
Guess what, sweetheart...it DOES NOW, thanks to your "friends" and their inability to control their own behavior. Good way to screw up a another decent neighborhood (like you did ours years ago).
*** Time to drop on by our "Kitten Corner"...
They were good as gold.
The kids had a good weekend, in spite of the fact that they didn't get lunch on Saturday.
Violet likes this quilt.
I did give them both more at breakfast to tide them over until we returned.
It seems to have been okay. I gave them a handful of food before dinner, and that went well.
And so does Gallifrey.
The balance of the weekend was spent taking it easy and getting back into their usual routine (gee, just like we were doing).
*** Let's check in with "Midnight and Whiskers"...
"We watched the house when you were gone."
The furry twosome also missed lunch Saturday, but were close by  all weekend (except when it rained. Lord knows where they all went, but they were all nice and dry.
"Yes,we did. I guarded the patio gate."
When it was time for dinner, they ALL returned, and yesterday, everyone was there for that and back step treats (the rain had stopped for the time being.
"And I watched the other gate."
Even Caruso managed to avoid the downpours, and never misses a meal. That boy can eat.
*** Last back to the state of relative normalcy...we laid Wifey's dad to rest Saturday in Portland, Indiana.
I was limping about due to an acute case of Plantar Fasciitis (really bad timing)...not fun, especially in dress shoes, but I managed well enough, thank the Lord.
Thankfully, it was in my left foot, so driving wasn't an issue going down there.
It wasn't as much a "funeral" as it was more a celebration of life, and Wifey was the primary speaker at the service. It was a beautiful eulogy focusing on strength, humor and love.
She did her dad (and all of us) proud.
I would be honored if she spoke HALF as highly of me when my time arrives. Don was indeed a good man and lived a good life.
I came very close to breaking down when the last song at the viewing was "Go Rest High On That Mountain", sung by Vince Gill. I LOVE that song.
I only have ONE album (cassette) by Gill (When Love Finds You - 1995), and the LAST track on the B side is (you guessed it)...that VERY tune.
After that, we drove to the cemetery and had a brief service at the chapel, where an HONOR GUARD did a flag folding ceremony and presented the flag to Wifey. I was not expecting that, but Don had been an Air Force Vet, and his coffin was flag-draped.
We then went outside where the honor guard extended a 21 gun salute and there was also the playing of TAPS. That really choked me up.
I went over to thank the members of the honor guard, and they presented me with all the brass used in the rifle salute.
Wifey and I then went to where Don will rest with his wife, and where Uncle Leo and unt Wanda already are.
We then stopped at Richards in Portland for a midday meal (25+ family members) and Wifey's uncle Arthur (Don's last surviving brother of six) picked up the tab (another beautiful soul).
Wifey and I then returned to the funeral home, picked up all the items of Don's that we had on display (along with a few plants). We asked that the flowers that didn't go graveside be donated to a nursing home there. We then returned home.
I didn't know HOW beat we were until we got back into the "Fortress".
Both my feet were aching, and Wifey was out on her feet.Yesterday was a day of rest.
Today, we get back to our lives, ever affected by those who have gone home before us and we thank God for their time with us.
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Yep, the national days were a letdown today. I don't know I can get IN a hammock anymore, much less out.

We'll have less house parties like that to worry about when someone gets through to these idiots that penis size is NOT measured by caliber.


I am very proud that D did such a great job for her father. I can't even go into a funeral home anymore, so I know I would have been in awe. I saw that memorials were going to AWS, but I combed their damn website and found zero places to give on it. However, I could have applied for a grant, so next time the car breaks down I know where to go, lol!

Bob G. said...

Chris:
Same here w/ a hammock, plus I don't hve any areas that I can hook on up anyway.
Ahh...That's a WONDERFUL call on those gun-toting idiots!
(and people wonder WHY neighborhoods go into decline? Seriously? Want me to spell it out for you people?)
I checked the (Anthony Wayne Services Foundation) website and could NOT find anyplace to donate either...that's kinda weird.
You'd think they have a Paypal link or address to send checks, right?
I'll check with "D".
I'll grant you that entering a funeral home for me is (always) rough, as I've been to a LOT over the years.
I will say the place in Portland (Freeman-Baird) is about a calming as you can find, and that helps a lot.
I chatted with the pastor and funeral director for a while before the majority of folks arrived.
But Wifey carried the day. She was a real trooper.

That grant application DOES sound enticing...(even for car repair...heh).

Thanks much for the kind words, prayers and for taking time to stop by to comment.

Stay safe up there, brother.