12 March 2007

Decisions...Decisions....


I've been doing an AWFUL lot of cogitating recently..mostly about my wife and I remaining in Fort Wayne. It's not an easy decision, as we're living in the house she was raised in, so there's all that "history" within these walls. That, and we just have gotten it to a point where we can call it "home" (it's called MOSTLY paid the hell OFF...lol). That means a lot to most people. A house is a mere structure, but a HOME represents so much more ( it's called EQUITY). On the other hand, there are the boomcars, the disrespectful people, gunshots, drug deals, littering, and an overall sense of "ghettoism" permeating this area. Some days, I swear you can smell it hanging like a noxious pall in the air! Sure our house was recently re-REassessed at $72K (a drop of $4K...ALREADY), and the possibility to sell it for more than we're purchasing it for from my in-laws is very enticing to say the least. In some perverted way, it's like walking away from the gambling tables while "cutting your losses"...

But the one thing that has got the both of us "interested" in moving is the fact that a property is available out by Woodburn for close to the same price THIS house is assessed for...except the Woodburn property has about THREE ACRES of vacant LAND to go with it (and a BARN). The house is a LOT older than the house we're currently in (hell, it's a LOT older than ME), and it would be in our best interest to get out there, get our boots on the ground, and eyeball it up close and personal. Having some background in architectural drafting (3 years in school) will give me an idea what we could possibly wind up buying. I've been compiling a LOT of questions to ask and I'm sure I will have a ton MORE when we take a walk-through. I AM doing my homework on this, believe me. Those midnight oils ARE burning!

It's just so damn hard to make any sort of snap judgement on this...and with good reason. This isn't like buying a new car (THAT was EASY)...I'm no "spring chicken" anymore, and taking on some major financial responsibility is a hurdle to say the least. Actually, the mortgage shouldn't be all that much, but again, there might be needed repairs (and a 2 car garage to have built....the house in Woodburn doesn't have one), upgrades, and such. The first year or so would be used just to acclimate myself to the place. I mean it wouldn't be like GREEN ACRES, but it will be challenging to say the least.

And there's always the MOVING part.....I ain't young enough to haul crap up, down, and over for days on end to get from here to there. It'd be much easier to just pack it, have a moving firm load it, transport it, and unload it out there...another expense.

Woodburn IS close enough to my buddy that moved out off of Rt 37, so we'll be able to get back together a lot more frequently. And they DO have more shopping out there by 37 &I-469. Then there's that PEACE AND QUIET that's sorely missing from my current neighborhood!

SO much to consider.....right?

Woodburn is as close to my wife's work as THIS (southside) house is now, so there's no big deal there. And I could maybe get back working again, as I wouldn't have to "guard" THAT house 24/7 from burglaries (like around here where they come into your garage WHILE YOU"RE FREAKING HOME). Woodburn is small enough to fit the bill as far as "midwestern charm" goes, as opposed to HERE with the daily nightmares from the village welfare druggie idiots.

But to just up and leave makes me feel like I've lost the "war", as it were....like we "gave in" because the people around here were too much to deal with (the city won't let me euthanize them as a public service, like the other vermin around here). And I just KNOW this house will become the "newest drug crib" rental in this area after we move. I have taken that as an "etched-in-stone" GIVEN! And that's damn sad to already KNOW that will be the fate of the house you're currently living in...very sad. The locals have been trying to drive US away (like they managed to do to our neighbors) for years...this house has a great view of each street for a block away...nice for spotting the "5-0" when you're making that special deal, right? I just HATE it when you're forced to tuck tail and run away...that's not an option in MY book. You might make a "strategic withdrawal to the rear", but you NEVER retreat...that just gets you shot in the back (or ass)!

It would be nice to have a good night's sleep, and NOT hear sirens or boomcars every fifteen frigging minutes. The quiet would be (pleasantly) deafening! Being able to have some REAL gardens would be nice as well. Mowing would be a stretch, as I only have TWO 50 ft. cords for my electric mower...(that ain't quite enough to cover an acre...let alone THREE...LOL)!
So....things to ponder. Decisions to make..like the song says: "Should I stay or should I go?"

What are the "long term" ramifications to all of this?
I haven't a clue...for once.

But I AM working on it...BELIEVE me!

7 comments:

Jana said...

I would look at it this way:

-safer
-you'll be happier
-peace and quiet
-closer to your good friend
-maybe start a family?
-be able to work, at least a little again? (get you out of the house??)

I wouldn't call it losing the battle though. You've tried and tried and no one wants to help because they don't give a rat's ass. I'm sure that D will miss the house she grew up in, but I'm sure she (and you) won't miss the crime, constant noise, litter, etc.

All in all, I would seriously consider it. I think that you would have peace of mind too.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't look at it as "giving up", I see it more as "moving up". Having lived all but a few years of my life in the country I can tell you that, unless you're afraid of deer, you'll be much happier and more at peace.

Good luck to you!

Bob G. said...

Thanks for the comments...I just don't want to get all "impulsive" and do this for a wrong reason...

(not that I can see that many right now anyway...lol).

It's not like buying a new suit...it's probably the last MAJOR purchase I'll see in this life (the next one should be better).

I will really need to see if any repairs are needed, and that I will be able to perform them.

I'm not afraid of deer...hell, I'm not even afraid of most of the renters around here...LOL!
(that's why I now have a gun)

Still...emotionally, it's gonna be one helluva rollercoaster ride until we decide.
(Don't worry, I won't have a big lunch...)

;)

B.G.

bobett said...

With all the foreclosures in FW and the county, I think you and your wife might just find a new location. It takes a little research, but you are great at that. With your equity and someone else's misfortune in calculating responsiblitiy in
home ownership...well it just might be what it takes to capitalize on a new move.

Granted selling is hard, but
Mary Campbell has always been honest and a hard working realtor
for us...With Remaxx Results. It may add 3-6% of closing costs
to hire a professional.

Kindest regards,

Hope you guys find Peace and
Happiness!

Bob G. said...

Yeah, 'ya hate to capitalize on someone else's misfortune, but considering the alternative to staying here in "ghettoville" playing "ghettopoly" with the "ghettopolitans" and "ghettocentrics", possibly winding up having me shoot a few a$$holes, and getting MY butt in the slammer....it IS very enticing.

I know my cats are schizoid over all this..never had that happen before with ANY pet, and we "might" have to put one of them down (yeah, more stress).

We've got some major league pondering to do...no doubt about that.

Thanks Again!

~B.G.

Anonymous said...

My Husband & I were out shopping
at Nisco and K-Mart across from the new Southtown Centre. It's still a beautiful area and has
alot to offer.

One things for sure, there is still a tremedous amount of rural
area in the South East and may be a diamond in the ruff.,

bobett

Bob G. said...

I know some people that went farther south of the city...still within 2 miles of the limits, but I have a funny feeling that after enough of us are chased from THIS area, they will RELOCATE the welfarers (that are taking over HERE) to BETTER parts of the city, gobble up these properties (for real cheap) and start the "overdevelopment blues" on the south side (like they made the northside so retail "top-heavy"...granted, it could happen in ten years (or more), but the way things CAN go in this town, I never put anything past anyone in gov't.

A better neighborhood with REAL people (and not some drug-induced-stuporous flotsam) is our first priority.

ANd of course we should go wher we can honestly afford...don't wanna ADD to the foreclosure rates, eh?

;)

B.G.