22 October 2007

Monday Musings...
~I'm sure there are those of you reeling from the Indians' defeat by the Bosox for the AL championship, but as they always say: "It was their game to win or lose". And lose it they DID. Cleveland was beaten (more like a freaking MUGGING) in the final two games of the playoffs by Boston, and in many ways was like watching MAJOR LEAGUE all over again, except there was no Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernsen, and Charlie Sheen to "rescue" the team. You think even THEY could have helped?

~Let this be a lesson to those you that think having "pet" monkeys around is a "cute" thing. The deputy mayor of New Delhi India fell to his death from a balcony when he was attacked by a group of wild monkeys. The "gang" of Rhesus macques (who attacked the official) apparently made a clean getaway, after the deputy mayor was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed to head injuries suffered from the fall. Actually, it wasn't the fall that caused his death...it was that sudden STOP at the bottom.

~Thousands of black men turned out Sunday to support a volunteer effort aimed at reducing violence in the crime plagued city of Philadelphia (the city of brotherly love, btw), lining up in front for several blocks to register. One of the reasons I left Philly was the increasing crime, and in areas not previously known for such activities. You hear stories from all over Philly these days, and even the Great Northeast is no longer immune. Imagine my surprise when after moving HERE (Ft. Wayne) crime was closer and more prevalent, even with the lower population (hence my purchasing of firearms - something I never had to DO in Philly).
The nation's SIXTH largest city with a population of 1.5 MILLION (44% being black - seems this pattern is getting way too repetitive) has notched MORE than 320 homicides (thus far - Indy take note of your possible future) this year. More than 80% of the crimes involved handguns and were perpetrated by young black males. So much for STIFFER GUN LAWS, eh?
That sure as crap isn't working. So now (finally) the BLACKS are getting motivated...about freaking time, because they sure as hell weren't listening to anything any of the whites were saying. And as I reported a while back about this "effort", time will tell if even their own kind can make any difference to these thugs on the streets.
Like I say...PEOPLE control, not gun control.

~Dinosaurs are disappearing AGAIN...and so are farm animals and jungle animals. Wal-Mart is pulling bags of these plastic creatures off their shelves, when it as discovered that high levels of lead were found in the base product (not the paint used to detail them). Returning these items to Wal-Mart with or without receipt will get you a refund (only 88 cents w/tax).
And just when you though it was safe to come OUT of the ARK....better tell Noah!!!

~Finally, a little consumer review on a product, that until recently, was never part of my arsenal to fight the "war on grime". It's called "Awesome", can be found at most dollar stores, and is, for the money one of the BEST cleaners I've found. I like products that live up to their names, and this stuff works. Whether it's grease on a rug, or ink on a floor, this will remove it, without damage to the floor or rug. it works on clothing, vinyl, concrete, wood...practically anything. I'm still looking for something it WON'T clean...(OK, it didn't remove my shoe scuff from the side of the plastic computer housing when I had to "reboot" it and used my foot to do so...sue me).
Still, if that's the ONLY thing it won't clean...I can live with that.
After all, I have to "live" (if you call this living) in Ft. Wayne...with THIS junkyard dog of a computer.

Have a great week...and get RID of those damn monkeys...LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,
I work on mainframes (the very fast computers that still awe me, size wise, …) and have met a few rather old time salty dogs in this business over the years - reminds me of one in particular who, when personal computers first became so pervasive back in the mid 80's, came up with the remark - "never trust a computer you can pick up" - still has merit today, ...

Bob G. said...

"Back in the day" (the very early 70s, I cut my teeth on operating computers that used to take up an entire ROOM...with about as much memory and computing speed as today's palm calculators...LOL!

I know what you mean!
If you CAN'T move it...you CAN use it!

Today though it's "If I can't CARRY it...I don't want it".

;)

B.G.