21 October 2009

Scarier Than Halloween...
We're nearly a week away from the annual "night out against anything that does NOT contain sugar" aka All Hallows Eve, and I can't help but express some concern over things happening in our nation that is pretty damn scary in it's OWN right.
And the analogy between governmental takeovers and Halloween are just TOO damn similar.
On the one hand, you have kids going out and basically getting "something for nothing".
Now, if I were to invoke the curmudgeon in me, I could ask such pertinent questions as:
-Why do you believe you're "entitled" to get free candy for doing nothing to DESERVE it?
-Have you made a difference (anywhere) that dictates the need for treats?
-Why should I give "my" candy to YOU when you're not my child?
-Why are you covering your face when you call on me asking for candy?
You have to admit, all frivolity for this "holiday" aside, these are damn GOOD questions.
The parallels to our current government are overwhelming.
-The government "masks their face" in order for us NOT to find out WHO is doing WHAT to WHOM...and WHY.
-The government would HAVE us to "redistribute the wealth".
-The government liberally gives "something for nothing" to WAY too many people.
-The government fosters a state of "entitlement" to people.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket on this shindig, but you have to admit there IS a correlation between the two.
And THAT is scary, people.
In MY neighborhood, I don't plan to give out any candy to whatever kids are dwelling around the area this year.
(look forward to my upcoming replay of the "8 simple rules" for if I were to hand out treats)
I have found NONE of the children that meander about the streets deserving of a "reward" for bad behavior.
Because this bad behavior is the ONLY thing I've seen in abundance.
When parents become too wrapped up in whatever illicit activity they're into, tossing supervision into the trashcan, along with whatever common sense they ever had, it makes for neighborhood tension on many levels.
When I see kids tossing rocks at other houses, that doesn't cry out to me "These kids need free candy at Halloween".
One could conclude that one of the LAST THINGS they truly need is MORE SUGAR in their diets!!!
The manner in which they run through the area testifies to that end.
Besides, these kids seem to have PLENTY of candy available to them, as the tossed wrappers from Twix bars, 3 Musketeers, and sundry other sugar-laden novelties found on my lawn will quietly attest.
So why bother to "feed their habit".
Perhaps going through some "withdrawal" from the sweets might be just what they need. And it might possibly get them familiar with the time when they can't get that next crack rock (in a few years)...you never know.
Lord knows whoever is "playing parent" with these children can't figure that much out.
And THAT also, is scary.
Now, it WOULD be nice to "return to those days of yesteryear"...when the kids that came to your door on 31 October's evening were the SAME kids that mowed the lawns in the neighborhood...or were the ones who could be trusted to run errands for the elderly, or were even honor students in school. We remember those kids, right? They are still around...we just have to look a bit harder to find them, right? Hopefully a few of them live under YOUR roof.
I would gladly dole out free candy and treats to those kids, but I draw the line when it come to hooligans.
I simply cannot reinforce the fact they are a bunch of misbehaving brats with no other purpose in life than to demean, disrespect, and destroy a neighborhood along with whatever decent inhabitants it still might contain.
Like I said...it's just the curmudgeon in me, and not representative of my standard persona.
But since were an "entitlement & entertainment-driven" society, there will be those that will always buy into it.
I certainly do NOT wish harm to ANY of these kids, no matter how badly they've worked all year to deserve it...even THEY don't understand why they do what they do every Halloween...they just do it because everyone else does it.
So much for "individuality", hmm?
I just prefer to be left alone and not bothered when it comes to giving anything to anyone for no good reason.
I appreciate CHARITY and know full well the meaning of it, and have have actively practiced it often...with total strangers.
But I think that I can determine (best) WHO NEEDS as opposed to WHO WANTS.
I wish I had the resources to get me a crapload of copies of the U.S. Constitution...and give THEM out at Halloween.
Like they would even make it back to the houses of THESE kids...LOL.
They just want CANDY...for FREE...for being undeserving of it...
Personally, I think in the LONG RUN, that copy of our founding document would better assist them ALL...in the pursuit of a real FUTURE.
And the last time I checked, not ONE SINGLE WORD of our Constitution caused ANY type of diabetes, cavities, ADHD, or any type of a "sugar rush".
In fact, I believe it's actually HEALTHY for you...in a lot more ways.
But then again, I tend to be a hard line "traditionalist" when it comes to feeding the minds and souls of people.
Maybe pocket Bibles???
(note to self: ...NEXT year)
Stay safe out there, America.

6 comments:

Diane said...

You know, you could give them that..I wouldn't squawk :P (the pocket bibles) idea. Heritage.org has pocket constitutions to hand out also. Maybe next year get a few copies and hand them out with a clue "behave yourself"

Bob G. said...

Diane:
I'm not totally AGAINST Halloween...I like the old horror flicks they used to show at cinemas (in the day), and the campier...the better.
It was just too weird to find such things in common with the government and the "holiday"...(maybe it's government SPONSORED???)

Maybe I'll tell the kids I "bailed out" the children in DETROIT and sent ALL my candy THERE...heh.

I DO really like YOUR idea of adding "behave yourself"...sounds like something I'd say...LOL!
Thanks for stopping by.

:)

ms nk rey said...

Well said .. I have my own issues with this holiday. I say you should give out condoms so you don't have more mooches to support in the future. Hope you find this suggestion helpful.. *smile*

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Now THAT is an idea I hadn't even thought of...
(knowing the kids, they'd probably TRY and eat them anyway)...LOL!

We'll try anything...ONCE...(Dad loved to say that)

Thanks for commenting.

:)

indy said...

toothbrushs, and pocket book bibles are a good thing. pennys too. you see true carature in the kids you are dealing with when they only get a penny.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
Never thought of the "penny" thing...we used to reserve THAT for a TIP at a burger shops whenever we got REALLY CRAPPY service...
(and my one buddy had a knack of placing it UNDER an overturned glass of water with the receipt holding it all together - no spill UNTIL it was lifted)...you hadda see it to believe it.

But we were much less "civilized" back then...in the days of bear skins and flint knives...LOL,

Thanks for commenting.