15 August 2010

Monday Musings...
Been one HELLUVA weekend...on "both" sides of the fence, good AND bad.
But let's focus on the GOOD aspects of the past 72 hours, and save the worst...for last, shall we? *** Ann Hathaway has seen fit to bestow upon this blog a very nice award - that being the BEAUTIFUL BLOGGER award.
Now, maybe the heat is getting to Ann (sure hope not), but I do sincerely HOPE that when refers to the "beautiful " part, she's NOT talking about ME...LOL.
Ain't nothing beautiful about THIS old curmudgeon anymore...!
So, I will go on the premise that she is referring to my BLOG and it's contents, because I do try to assert and embrace the beautiful things (and people) this old world STILL has to offer, be they in my own yard and garden, or somewhere else in the world.
Thank you ALL for being exactly WHO you are.
I'm sure than when the roll is called up yonder, we'll see a LOT more familiar faces than we expected.
And thank you Ann, for believing in this blog, and what is said, whether you agree or disagree.
Now, I have to relate TEN things truthful about myself...so here goes.
1) Okay, so Saturday, the missus and I saddle up and ride a whopping TWO MINUTES over to the nearby hardware store (Connelly's Do It Best) to have a chance to see none other than Steve Smith aka RED GREEN.



((The handyman's secret weapon: DUCT TAPE))





I didn't even know this show existed on PBS until I moved out HERE.
A buddy at work told me about it, I checked it out, and have been LMAO ever since.
Wifey likes it too, because of the comedic manner in which it portrays men and ALL their foibles.
So, I not only got to SEE Red Green, but got an autograph, AND a picture taken...(and also an autograph for a good buddy who couldn't attend...I never leave a man behind). We even got to see some classic Studebakers (and I chatted with one owner) once built in good old INDIANA.
It was a damn nice time all around, in spite of the brevity.
2) I HAVE shot a lot of weapons in my life, and I even OWN a .44 replica 1861 Colt Army model...and I really want to get to shoot THAT someday.
3) I attended the 130th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, and discovered I might have had a distant relative that fought there (and survived).
Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as I would like to devote to pursuing that. There was both a SGT (27th PA) and a LT (1st PA cavalry) with the exact same last name as me, and they both came from the "Germantown" section of Philly (where grandpa was raised), so maybe some day, I'll find out for real.
4) I've been driving since 1975 (I was a late bloomer - got my license at 23 - had buddies with cars, so I was the "shotgun"), and I've only owned THREE cars since:
a) A 2 door 1968 gold Buick Special Deluxe w/ black vinyl top (AM radio only, no air, no pwr brakes and the only A/C was the "2-60" style - two windows down, 60 MPH...LOL) I did my OWN pinstriping, added a removable under-dash cassette player (ahead of the curve there) FOUR speakers, and moon hubcaps.
b) A 2 door 1975 dark hunter green Ford Torino (no air, no vinyl top, but I also added moons to that with larger blackwall tires).
That car looked like a damn undercover vehicle (at least in Sea Isle City, NJ - LOL)...and was FAST (did 108 MPH once...JUST once).
I upgraded the speaker system in that too, and had a CB radio with whip antenna on the trunk lid.
c) A 2 door 1983 black Pontiac Firebird (my first NEW car...only had 45 miles on it when I took possession)
And I have still to get the original miles OVER 60K!
5) I love this neighborhood (and the potential it holds), but can't stand ANY of the people infesting it (save one and I'm "watching" her house while she's in Canada until her return this week - a job's a job)...'nuff said there.
6) I have smoked marijuana, found it basically boring, never wanted to try anything else, and never made pot-smoking an ongoing part of my life since the late 70s. Hell, you have to twist my arm to take Tylenol!
7) I have sold self-drawn comic art at a show once in NJ, and received a beautiful letter from the person who mentioned what a difference I made in their life. (still puts a lump in the old throat)
8) I have sung in my High school choir (got a school letter *L* for it), and also sang in THREE church gospel groups in my life as a baritone.
9) I once ran the 100 yards in 10.2 seconds in high school, and the coach was begging me to join the track team. I did not.
Back in the day, THAT speed was almost as fast as Bob Hayes (former #22) of the Dallas Cowboys (ran 9.2 secs), once called the "fastest man alive".
I didn't do bad for someone with NO formal track training (nor aspirations).
10) I once took what electricians would call B+ voltage across my chest (at home monkeying with a damn 13 inch TV). That was a REAL experience.
I think I have a LOT better understanding what it would be like to be hit with a PHASER ON STUN!
And I do NOT recommend trying it yourself...it's weird to not be able to speak for a few minutes, and see the screwdriver imbedded in the wall.
So there you have it...some of the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY of my many lives, with I'm sure more still to come, God willing.
*** Now I also promised saving some of the worst...for last.
Well unfortunately, as you all know, existence in MY part of Ft. Wayne is, if nothing else, never "dull".
Saturday, we had a double shooting in the 4600 block of Plaza Drive, and little if anything was mentioned by ANY news source. The victims were both reported to be in good condition, so apparently, nothing was life-threatening.
Here's the link:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100816/LOCAL07/308169985
And again, early Sunday morning, between 0400-0500 hrs, there was ANOTHER person was shot around the same area. He later died at the hospital.
We'll just add this person to our list of HOMICIDES for the year.
I did find it "weird" that around 0400 hrs., there were FOUR vehicles following one another across one street, heading NORTH (the direction of the shootings). I call such groups of cars "rolling posses", and they usually are closely packed with the usual loud music as they roam about.
I've also mentioned THIS particular TREND to our quadrant captain (a while back), and one would think we'd hear something come across the police radio with multiple "30s" (traffic stops) on these groups of cars....guess that's not all that important, either. They're probably just "acting out" or something, right?
I just find it SO very interesting that THIS group of cars was headed in the direction of those early Sunday shootings JUST before they occurred....gee, that's so damn ODD, don'cha think?
Oh, and one of those cars was a white Impala that looked to have a spotlight on the A pillar (ex police car?).
But, any of you regular readers know ALL about that, as I have brought to your attention.
And will KEEP doing so.
And last evening, around 2130 hours, a THIRD shooting near the SMS "market", located on the 1000 block of Hanna St. at the corner of Spatz. The 18 year old male was transported to the hospital in critical condition. Police are looking for a red Cadillac.
Here's the link to this story:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100815/LOCAL07/100819665/1043/LOCAL07
I think perhaps...MAYBE some people around here should be IN BED at FOUR-FRIGGING-AM instead of at those "after-hours clubs" (which the city doesn't have an idea as to how MANY there probably are), partying until they get shot, but I'm SO damn old-fashioned in that regard.
As to these black savages preying on one another (because we all KNOW the victims as well as the shooters were black...trust me, I know these miscreants ALL too well), it just amazes me that the police cannot get a better handle on the situation down here.
Whenever I see ANY piece of trash that's been tossed, or hear ANY boomcar drive by, or hear ANY radio call for some sort of robbery or "disturbance", it's just another thumb on the nose or middle-finger salute to the LEOs down here busting their tails, by the VERMIN that live among us all too few good people who remain.
But, I suppose that's OK with the FWPD (command)...the chief must think that having the street LEOs chronically disrespected in such a manner, through constant enabling of the BROKEN WINDOW THEORY is fine and dandy.
Sorry, but that's NO way to change a once nice neighborhood that is being driven to the brink of "slumdom" BACK into one.
But is is a form of "job-security", I guess.
Sad to see the city allow such behavior by it's citizens.
Finally today, regarding this award...I have to "pass it forward", as it were to those I feel are worthy.
So here goes, in no specific order:
- WAITING FOR GOD
- RURAL SOUTH TEXAS
- SGT SAYS
- FIRST IN
- GADFLY
- THE DINO LOUNGE

If any of you want to know WHY I choose these, I think stopping by the blogs and doing a read (or three) will convince YOU as they have me.
A little something for everyone in the mix.
Tradition, common sense, humor...you name it, they got it...and (also) "get it".
Enjoy the award, fellow bloggers.
I am so honored to call all of you "FRIEND".
(that's with a CAPITAL F, btw)
In the meantime...
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay safe out there, America.

4 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
What a great list of TEN! I have always suspected you had multiple "unsung" talents.

I remember Bobby Hayes and what a stir he made for the Cowboys. I sing an undistinguished alto but I have my band letter still. Found it just last week! I played flute.

I love these awards b/c of what you learn about people. What fun!

Have a Grrrrrreat Day,
Ann T.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
Unsung talents... at least the few times smoking pit decades ago when a nickel bag WAS $5) wasn't in THAT mix!

There was a LOT of "things" to choose from, once I got to thinking...amazing ALL that you remember.

Perhaps I will spend a few future posts allowing others like yourself another look "behind the curtain", as it were.

I dated "the girl that got away" who also played flute at her high school in NJ.
(today would be her birthday)
I tried to learn, but it was harder than I thought. I now have a much greater appreciation for those than can play.
(like James Galway..love his music)
I only play the recorder these days...and I still have my guitar..but that's a whole other post (or two)...LOL.

Thanks so much for stopping by today.
Right back at'cha on the grrrreat week, too!

:)

indy said...

ten things about me:
1. i was in the national forensics league for impromtu speeking. did it for all 4 years of high school and lettered.
2. in my graduating class of 120 or so i was about number 18. back then i didnt understand how smart i was.
3. i scored a 120 on my asvab and a 70 on my delab.
4. i have never slept alone in a house. always had my parents, army buddys, ex husband, or my daughter.
5. i like eggplant lasagna.
6. i started driving in 1983/84 owned 10 cars since then.
7. i have no close living relatives, or the ones i have dont speak to me. my only realitive is my daughter.
8. i cant imange what life would be like without owning a dog or a fish.
9. i like my job
10. i like helping other people. even if they are just taking me for granted.
11. i like living without a boyfriend or a spouse.
12. i dont go to the doc. i dont get sick that much and i have never had a caviety.

Bob G. said...

Indy:
That's a really decent list you have going there.

Then again, I always DID have a fondness for SMART people...and MILITARY people!

I've spent my share of nights alone in times past...sometimes it's OK, while other times you don't catch a wink at all.

And there was a time when I could nod out standing UP...I kid you not.
(it's called the Philly EL - for elevated train...damn comfy poles to hang onto...LOL)

Thanks for sharing ...and for taking time to stop on by.

Carry on.