22 August 2010


They Say It's Your Birthday...
Made it to my personal milestone...and, in some respects it's been a bit of a MILLSTONE, as well.
That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the ride thus far...it's been very interesting...AND enlightening...AND informative...and yes, even a bit fun.
I've had my share of victories, defeats, and draws...
(haven't we all?)
And through all of this, I've always endeavored to LEARN from the experience.
I never try to make the SAME mistake TWICE...
But I sure have also learned that there are almost as many KINDS of mistakes as there are grains of sand on the beach...LOL.
It's also about what one GAINS in life versus what one LOSES...and that scorecard is always changing it seems.
But it's ALL part of the human condition.
The good thing for me, is that I made it to number 58.
The bad thing for me, is that I am all too aware of the fact that I definitely have more years BEHIND me, than in front of me.
I don't view that as something to get depressed about.
I can certainly find a LOT more important things to depress me...if I allow them to.
And Lord knows I've tried in the past.
So, I suppose it's getting near to the time where one thinks about what kind of LEGACY will be left, should the inevitable occur?
I've thought about that, but since I could never hope to give millions of dollars to various charities, or cure cancer, or even solve world poverty or economic strife, I will have to be content with the belief that whatever souls I have encountered in this life will have been enriched in much the way they have greatly enriched THIS soul.
I don't mean to get all philosophical and "deep" here, but after you hit that "half-century" mark in your life, you tend to EXAMINE things a lot more closely.
And that's how you've been learning things up to that point, by asking questions and checking things out, so why stop now, right?
Yes, it never hurts to take a good long look at who we are...where we came from, where we're headed, and how we plan to get there.
We might not be allowed to know the complete journey each of us travels, but it's nice to have some idea about the trip, even if all we wind up with is an old, well worn road map, a felt tip marker and a tank full of time.
So, here's to making it THIS far...
And perhaps, with God's help...there will be a good many more birthdays to enjoy in the offing.
Be well, make a difference to someone today, and...
Stay safe out there, America.

6 comments:

ms nk rey said...

When I think of you an old Jonathon Swift quote comes to mind. So to you I say, Happy Birthday May you live all the days of your life. So many people I know have never learned to do that. The just exist, but you my friendly neighborhood curmudgeon (your quote not mine) you enjoy all your moments. I wish you unlimited days of happiness.

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I could have no greater desire than to see BOTH of us do so.

Thanks for the quote, kind wishes, and for being the person you are.

Have a blessed Sunday.

Momma Fargo said...

Great milestones! Happy birthday! msnkrey says it all. Very great words. Cheers to living each day and each moment!

Bob G. said...

Momma Fargo:

I'm doing it, but not alone.
Got my Guardian Angel watching over me (and he wants to know when he can take a day off)
I told him as soon as St. Michael comes back from HIS vacation!

SOunds about right to me.

Thanks SO much for becoming a part of my life. You don't know how much I look forward to your "adventures".
And, spiritually-speaking, you're in my thoughts each time you roll out.
(as are quite a few others I know)
You take care out there now.
(God, now I sound like a doting DAD)

Have a great Sunday!

The Observer said...

Bob G:
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
:-)

From The Observer!

Bob G. said...

T.O.:
ALways nice to know that beautiful singing is STILL valued in KCMO!
(and appreciated here)

Thanks for the wishes...and for taking time to drop on by.