19 April 2018

Thoughts For Thursday...
Another snow-laced morning here in the Heartland.
Rumor has it this "could" be the last one for the spring. We shall see.
Our Hoosierland weather for today brings us a cessation of the snow showers by mid morning with partly to mostly cloudy skies for the remainder of the day, with light winds.
Temp are expected to rise to around 50 degrees, but it's supposed to drop back below freezing tonight.
Well, I guess it's better than nothing, right?
With that said, let's get that morning cup of coffee, tea, or cocoa made, as we see what else has been going on...
*** First out of the attic is the answer to yesterday's WHO SAID THAT? quote:
"There is a massive apparatus within the United States government that with complete secrecy has been building this enormous structure that has only one goal, and that is to destroy privacy and anonymity, not just in the United States, but around the world."
This was spoken by another newbie, Glenn Greenwald  (born March 6, 1967), who is ((an American journalist and author, best known for his role in a series of reports published by The Guardian newspaper beginning in June 2013, detailing the United States and British global surveillance programs, and based on classified documents disclosed by Edward Snowden.))
Here is his WIKI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Greenwald
I wouldn't exactly call him a conservative, but I think his viewpoint may have been tainted by the way that Washington operates, which in many cases, is not in the best interest of the PEOPLE of this country. It's not a bad read.
*** Next up, time to look into our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
APRIL 19 -
---It's National Amaretto Day
(I think I need one...or several today)
---It's National Garlic Day
(sure to keep the "vampires" at bay)
---It's National Hanging Out Day
(not this morning anyway)
---It's National High Five Day
(give me a reason, and I'm there)
---It's National Oklahoma City Bombing Commemoration Day
(and not ONE bullet was fired or one GUN used)
*** Next,  does anyone wonder why we're seeing more teachers protesting these days?
Well, wonder no longer. Here's the story:
https://www.theblaze.com/video/watch-teachers-are-protesting-nationwide-here-are-the-real-reasons-behind-their-fight
I know Wifey could write an essay just on this topic.
Maybe some day, she will.
*** Next up, another brain-buster for you. What is the "Algorithm Ghetto"?
A digital Internet version of this?
Here's a pretty good call on this:
http://www.speroforum.com/a/NYUKSEZHTH43/83192-Edwin-Black-the-new-challenge-posed-by-the-algorithm-ghetto#.WtdIssgvwdU
Now, if that seems a bit deep, let's look at what an algorithm is and what it does:
https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startupsmart/advice/startupsmart-growth/young-entrepreneurs/algorithms-are-everywhere-how-will-they-shape-you/
Naturally, if any of saw the movie Captain America - The Winter Soldier, you'd get a top shelf explanation of what this is all about.
And,you'd come to learn how insidious something like this can become.
Here's the WIKI for this...as a "bonus"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm
*** Next, another excellent column by John Rosemond, and what it means to be "old-fashioned":
http://www.news-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/2018/04/14/john-rosemond-yes-i-am-old-fashioned/
Yeah, include me in that mix,. I'm old-fashioned...just like my parents used to be (and probably their parents before them).
I think a lot of it has to do with the rapidity of the changes that take place in our world.
The article speaks to a growing problem - that if teen mental health. We already know the entire self-esteem infusion deal has done nothing to really help these kids.
And, I don't recall anyone in school doing the suicide thing in my day.perhaps if times changed at a slower pace, and with enough time to take it all in, I'm sure we'd be more able to adapt and ride it out.
*** Next up, this story caught my eye, and it makes a statement about the whole "entitlement mentality":
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/04/18/viral-video-sees-black-man-enter-starbucks-demand-free-reparations-coffee-theres-a-huge-catch
Bryan Sharpe aka Hotep Jesus...seriously?
A "Starbucks Reparations" deal? Not really, but it says a lot more than the story (or video) reveals.
We DO have some folks with the idea that they are "owed" something (usually by everyone else), when in fact, they have no idea what they're talking (or sometimes protesting) about.  We have to tread carefully here.
*** Next, time to stop on by our "Kitten Corner"...
The kids were a little bit busier than usual, but I think it's because they saw a few birds, an got a slight case of spring fever.
Who can blame them...we are well into the season, and the avian population is making their presence known.
Still, our cats have plenty to do inside the house, without acting up.
*** Next up, let's check in with "Midnight and Company"...
She was here for breakfast
Well, it started out as a decent day, with both cats on the patio. It was Wet Food Wednesday, and they always love that.
The problem came around dinnertime, when Whiskers was M.I.A. Now missing lunch is one thing...but last call is quite the other. That's when they get treats after they eat their dinner.
Where's my dinner partner?
Didn't see her around all evening, but Midnight stayed nearby. So far this morning...no Whiskers...just Midnight.
(hope nothing has happened to her)
*** Last back to the basement...so I get this green paper stuck in our door yesterday...turns out it's a subpoena.
((RECORD-SCRATCH)) -
Yeah, I said WTF? a lot yesterday. Seems this is in reference to the day that perp drove through our lawn (and was later caught a couple blocks away). It's on my archive post from 19 February.
Now, I am "commanded" to appear next month (downtown, of course) for this teen's trail (as an obvious witness).
To WHAT? I'm thinking. I didn't see the kid driving the car. And I couldn't read the damn plate. All I did was call the police, tell them about the car driving on our property and the direction of travel.
I can't see the REASONING behind my testimony...NOT when a deposition can be taken at our house, saving me a lot of hassle.
As far as I can see, I can't add anything to this case that would make it turn EITHER way. I was not actively involved, and I'm NOT seeking any "restitution" from this punk-ass teen.
I'd say his arrest for felony car theft does a much better job than I ever could. Having me testify isn't going to make any difference (imho). So, I'm trying to contact the asst. prosecuting atty and voice my opinion, as I feel it's extremely presumptuous of those downtown to have me subpoenaed for something like this.
Our lawn isn't that bad, and will (most likely) grow back...with a little top soil and grass seed.
It hardly shows any of the damage that occurred, and I'm not out for a "pound of flesh".
In other words, I know it's an election year, Karen. Don't drag me into something I have little involvement and even less desire to be a part of...save it for all the mooks that are going around shooting one another...get THEM and THEIR witnesses into court.
Just another reason to avoid the judicial system at every level...and at every chance.
Helluva world we live in, isn't it?
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Yep, I haven't looked at blogs in a couple of days. But I get here eventually. At least you were first...

Thursday high five: Have your reason on upcoming Sunday message...

We talked about the teacher thing last night at BJs. I cited the same reasons -PLUS the fact that Teachers unions are leftist and Trump is POTUS, just to give a thought to timing...


Algo-ghetto: THAT was a very interesting aarticle... and I put his book on my Amazon wish list. Without having read it, though, I have to say this. First, Henry Ford and his interest in the Protocols- which I researched writing a story a few years back- is well known to me. Just shows you that Satan can work through capitalists as well as communists. Second- I would be real interested to see his evidence on Carnegie, et al. In a day and age when everyone was blaming Jews for the world financial empire, to see how that empire might have actually been bent the other way will be interesting. Third, the IBM thing- again, not having read the book yet, if IBM was just developing new tech, and Hitler USED it, isn't blaming IBM a bit like blaming Smith and Wesson for Columbine? Like I said, though, that's consideration before reading and checking his evidence.

Whew, Bobby, how do you expect me to get to the rest of the blogs this way? lol


Starbucks learning that, when you bend over for one guy, it's not so easy to stand back up before the next guy gets in line...


Subpoena- Sorry, but I hadda laugh..

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---I'm honored you came here first!
---Yeah, teachers (for the most part) are getting the crap end of many sticks the educational system is handing them these days.
And we wonder WHY kids are the way they are and WHY fewer people are choosing to NOT go into teaching?
---I had a hunch YOU would like the algo-ghetto thing. I found it VERY revealing.
---I will never go to Starbucks...my coffee is better AND cheaper.
--_Subpoena...yeah, when I'm not being royally pissed off, I'll probably laugh a lot, too'
(I KNOW I will when I go downtown and those mooks have egg ALL over their primate faces after hearing ME).

Thanks for stopping by.

Stay safe up there, brother