10 January 2019

Thoughts For Thursday...
Yepper, looking very wintry out there, and some folks apparently had some trouble adjusting to yesterday's conditions.
More on that in a bit.
Our Hoosierland weather for today finds us dealing with some leftover lake-effect snow flurries, with little real accumulation. Temps will rise to around 30 degrees with cloudy skies, and you still want to practice a fair amount of caution on the streets, roads, and highways today. There are some slick spots, especially on bridges and overpasses.
Yes, I am gonna rag about safety, because THAT is what gets you back home for dinner and family, doesn't it?
Now, let's get a nice comforting hot cup of coffee, tea, or cocoa, as we see what else has been going on, hmm?
*** First off of the snow-covered patio is the answer to yesterday's "WHO SAID THAT?" quote:
"Integrity means that you are the same in public as you are in private."
This was spoken by one Joyce Meyer ( born Pauline Joyce Hutchison in south St. Louis in 1943.) who is a Christian author and speaker and president of Joyce Meyer Ministries
Here is her WIKI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Meyer
Now, I have to say that having a personal jet, several homes,  and a HUGE ministry never gives me that:"warm and fuzzy" feeling I suppose I should have.
And yes, her ministry was ione of several investigated by a senate inquiry (2007-2011) headed up by senator Chuck Grassley.
The inquiry found no wrongdoing, and did in fact qualify for tax exempt status.
it's an interesting read, and makes you think about about being wealthy AND having a successful ministry.
Naturally, we can't ALL have the SAME blessings.
Some of us serve "in the trenches", as it were.
*** Next up, is our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature:
JANUARY 10 -
---It's National Bittersweet Chocolate Day
(chocolate? Say...no...more)
---It's National Cut Your Energy Costs Day
Don't tell me...tell the utility companies!)
---It's National Oysters Rockefeller Day
(just gimme some oyster stew instead)
---It's National Save the Eagle Day
(Soarin Hawk raptor rescue does a marvelous job of that)
*** Next, there was a busy morning yesterday with the snow flurries:
https://wpta21.com/news/top-stories/2019/01/09/police-respond-to-numerous-crashes-on-i-69/
Along Coldwater Rd. yesterday.
Let's just say that the perception of bad weather by a few out there is sorely lacking when it comes to practical expertise and application. There were 30+ accidents during yesterday's rush hour, which didn't allow much for the rushing part.
*** Next up, one mayoral candidate has a pretty good idea:
https://wpta21.com/news/top-stories/2019/01/09/mayoral-candidate-favors-high-tech-solution-to-fort-wayne-crime-challenges/
I'm so with Dr. Crawford with this, because it WORKS.
And, as can be expected, there is trepidation with members  of the black community.
Our Rhymin' Pastor,  Rev.Bill McGill had to naturally address this:
“While we’re trying to make sure that violence is ended, we have to always make sure that we don’t have civil rights bended,”
Yeah, but WHERE does the majority of the crime take place?
In and around the minority communities.
Larry Gist, former local NAACP president wonders how long it would take for lawbreakers to take notice and move their criminal activity to spots not being watched by an ‘eye in the sky’.
He makes a good point, but given that crime has been migrating to other areas of the city (because the SE is damn near "tapped out" after all these years) you could still target high crime areas in THOSE parts of town.
*** Next, I wonder if this is this really a good idea?
https://wpta21.com/news/top-stories/2019/01/09/cigarette-tax-could-go-up-2-a-pack/
Better make that a "HAMILTON".
I confess to being a smoker, so to me, this is another burden in life I'd rather not have to deal with.
Thing is, I prefer the little cigars (or even a pipe now and then...yeah a pipe like granddad used to smoke), but since the CIGARETTE TAX affects EVERY single tobacco product (and such things produce revenues out the wazoo every day), there's no real "win" here, is there?
*** Next up, time to stop by our "Kitten Corner"...
Watching the snowflakes (the weather ones).
Our kids were doing well watching the snow fall, even it was a few flakes at a time.
Doesn't take much to fascinate them.
Bagging some sack time.
Remember when we (as children) were like that? Ahh, for those days again.
I will say they enjoying napping better than anyone I know.
*** Next, let's do our check-in with "Midnight and Whiskers"...
A THAWED water dish  is welcome.
Our furry twosome were around the house for part of the day. No one showed uop for klinch, but by dinner time, the bowls had been emptied, so someone came by for grub.
So is a full food dish.
They had their wet food and some treats later in, byt no on was out after dark for back step treats (it was kinds cold).
Something tells me they'll be hungry this morning.
*** Next up, I had something happen yesterday that caught me completely off guard.
(and that ain't easy at my age...lol)
Kinda looked like THIS one.
I was using our push broom to clean snow off the patio, and the handle SNAPPED clean in two.
And this was a METAL handle at that...surprised the hell outta me, too.
Luckily, I had a PLAN-B...I used the old wooden handle from the basement broom and PRESTO!..fixed it.
I still would like to get a new broom, though. This wooden handle is a bit short (even for me.,..heh).
*** Last back to the freshly cleared steps...where does all this tax stuff really end?
Our lawmakers (in their quest to run our lives much better than we ever could) already jacked up taxes on import liquor (like SCOTCH - so much for my aperitif), and other forms of hooch like bourbon, which only makes me have to not look to the "top shelf" when I choose to imbibe.
They raise the wheel tax and gas tax (so driving tightens the purse strings).
Then, food prices rise...more angst when payday arrives.
And the utilities raise THEIR rates (again, almost regularly) so using less water or gas or electricity becomes a non sequitor.
Where does the madness end?
(when our wallets and bank accounts are empty?)
Not the right answer for me...or many of you, right?
Welcome to the land of forced inflation.
It would be nice to have a few years of static pricing...and no tax or rate increases...just for the hell of it. We'd all be better off, wouldn't we?
Be well, make a difference to someone, and...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

4 comments:

Mad Jack said...

30 accidents? I live in Columbus, OH, and I can't get statistics on the number of accidents on the beltway. I've seen a half-dozen multi-car pile ups during rush hour, and when rain or snow is added it gets worse. You'd think that attrition would eliminate the bad drivers and we'd have fewer accidents after a while, but it isn't so.

Me, I hate winter.

Bob G. said...

mad Jack:
---Ahh, the "beltway". I remember that from when I lived in Columbus for a year.
I avoided that as MUCH as possible.
But once in a while, I had to ride it for about ONE exit...lol.
Yeah, our "newseys" here tend to let us know about this kinda stuff (and yes, we have our own version of the beltway - I call it the LOOP.
---As for the attrition rates? I think the BAD drivers are just out to get rid of the GOOD drivers. Sure seems that way. I check our cars regularly to see if there's a BULLSEYE sticker on them. So far...nope!
I used to HAVE to drive in winter weather...not a problem for me, but I had a couple cases where things got "hairy" with the weather (few cars on the Jersey highways kept problems to a minimum).
But, that's another story for another (wintry) day...heh.

Hey, thanks for dropping ob by to comment.
Don't be a stranger.

Roll safe out there.

CWMartin said...

Here I am, fresh from a very tricky Time Machine, with 3 contests to guess at, two surprise hosts of the Panel picks to go with Melanie, and one hungry belly b/c I have yet to eat! So...


Joyce: One of the things I tumbled onto during my "megachurch" deal was most of the pastors drew the same level of salary, give or take, except when you get to the out-and-out crooks like Peter popoff and the like. Many of them, though, make big bank on their books, and why not? At least Joyce funnels royalties from books sold at outside retailers back to the ministry. I guess the question we don't know, and should be between them and God- how much are you tithing? That and, is your attitude different now that you're rich? But that is up to God to judge. I know I would likely be an ass with money- thus I have none.


Accidents: And it wasn't that bad! It's down to people who are not paying attention and adjusting their socially questionable behavior IMHO.


Crime: You see cameras, I see targets. Except in Law Abiding Areas. Sure, spread 'em around- but for all the good they'll be in the areas they're needed, they might just as well say, "dummy cam" on the bottom- like the one we had at Arden did, lol!


Cigs: Same thing I always say- the gov't needs to figure out whether they prefer the income stream or the health of the people. Is there a balance? If there is, be sure a lawmaker couldn't find it- or anything else- with both hands.


"They enjoy napping better..." That just goes to show you don't stop in HERE often enough, lol...


Handle: Is that where you look at D, and with a Bullwinkle accent say, "Guess I don't know m'own strength..."


Here's something that might be an interesting study for someone without a real life... how many years, at the current rate of tax growth at all levels, would it take to get were the Dancing Ocasio-Cortez wants us to be?

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---You better get some grub, Bub.
---Those are much he same points I thought about with her ministry.
I try to convince God that being rich WON'T spoil me (and I can then give more to others)...so far, no "call back" on that.
We're in the same boat along those lines (just at different oars). HA!
---I was telling "D" that this was nothing, but a couple dozen thought it LITERALLY was and proved it by their inattentiveness on the roads. I agree.
---I considered the thugs shooting at them (another testosterone challenge).
And most likely, they'll be vandalized AFTER DARK. naturally, there is a RACIAL component to this, and the Rev is headed in THAT direction.
---I think there can be a balance but my bias is showing.
I mean, they got the number of residents in Indiana who smoke down to about 1/4 of the population, but "Big Brother" wants it LOWER still.
Not a good sign in my book of "Orwellian Tales".
This is aside from the VAPING epidemic (they're telling us) that's also getting out of hand.
---LMAO...that's GOTTA be it!
---You know, I did pull open my shirt JUST to see if I had:
A) A big red "S", or
B) a big silver/white STAR
Nope on BOTH accounts. Have to chalk that up on metal fatigue I suppose.
Crazy, huh?
---I can answer that one w/ half my brain tied behind my back (just to make it fair). Not years...MONTHS (if we wind up in HER reality)
And that's one "parallel world" I want NO part of.
She's a very DANGEROUS person. Keep an eye on her.

Hey, thanks for stopping on by today to comment.
Stay safe up there, brother.