09 May 2007

Humpday Happenings...

First off, a hearty CONGRATS to both Tom Henry and Matt Kelty, who won their party's primary elections yesterday. As I have stated before, this could be an interesting race for mayor of Fort Wayne.

I was actually sad to see Henry defeated for city council, but I welcome his style in the race for mayor. And if he wins...that's fine by me. Matt Kelty is an architect (I studied drafting for FOUR years in high school...another missed chance), so we've got that much in common. I look forward to his fresh ideas for the city. If he wins...that's also fine by me. A hard choice would I have to choose one of them today.

Let's see how the rubber's gonna meet the road during the next several months.

Next, Dr. Wendy Robinson and former mayor Paul Helmke will be receiving honorary doctorate degrees from Purdue and IU respectively.
Wow, so let me see if I got this straight...."if" I were to hold the taxpayers of Fort Wayne hostage (over a financial barrel) for $500 MILLION bucks, THAT would get me an honorary doctorate? Or if I complained how those inanimate objects we call GUNS caused all the shooting crimes in America, instead of the f$cked-up PEOPLE wielding them, THAT would get me an honorary doctorate?
Man, have I got to get me a piece of THAT pie!

Meanwhile...back at the ranch....

Bill O'Reilly comes under the scrutiny of some IU "scholars" (no doubt with "honorary" degrees), for not really being a "journalist". They claim he is more name-caller than analyst. Now I'd be the first to say that his show is not a news reporting show in it's purest form....he doesn't read teletype (or whatever they use these days) prompters decrying the latest "newsworthy" event as it occurs. He ANALYZES the stories in the headlines. And usually, I find the debate he engages in is informative, presents both sides fairly, and although not quite Platonian in nature, does foster discussion, pro or con long after the hour is up.
But that's not good enough for some. Forget about focusing on topical issues...let's count the number of times he calls a pinhead a PINHEAD. Well, I side with Bill on this...if it LOOKS like a duck, WALKS like a duck, and QUACKS like a duck...well...you know the rest. And I will admit that there ARE people out there that ASK (and in some cases actually beg) to be called whatever invective is required at the moment. And it's not all about O'Reilly...Glenn Beck does likewise,and I won't even get into Keith Olberman, who sometimes borders on the treasonous with his "analysis". Hell, even Sean Hannity and Geraldo Rivera aren't afraid to call them as they see them (just as I like to do all the time).

But when you've got so much PCBS in the world (that's politically-correct-bull-$hit, my favorite acronym these days), anyone who still stands for what America was founded upon, and is NOT afraid to say as much will inevitably be saddled with some sort of negative "label".

It makes me wonder what exactly we would have called such men as Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Benjamin Franklin?

Today they'd be called TRAITORS (to the Crown). Back then, we called them visionaries...or perhaps a more apt term: PATRIOTS!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Standing Ovation!

Jana said...

Liberals don't like O'Reilly because he exposes them for the asshats that they are.

They don't want the bad things overshadow the so-called "good things" that they do.

Ya know, like promising that if they were voted into Congress that they wouldn't raise taxes?

HA!

That they want to help the poor people, especially John Edwards?

HA!

(by the way, B, tell D I said hello and that I'm sorry that I don't use AIM anymore)

Bob G. said...

Thanks Jen...I just call 'em as I see 'em...

And if anyone wonder what MY political affiliation is...it's INDEPENDANT aka free thinker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will do Jana...and in the future...tell us all what you REALLY think, OK?
(LOL)

;)

B.G.

Tim Zank said...

Nice job BG!! As always, right on the money!!

Jana said...

LOL B!