19 October 2018

Friday Follies...
Well, we finally made it to the end of another week.
And we're still awaiting our trash pickup that was supposed to happen yesterday...AGAIN.
I'm also waiting to start seeing Christmas shopping ads. It IS getting to eb that time of year, isn't it?
I mean, society LOVES to rush the holidays at us in a vain attempt to keep our minds off of things that really should matter. But...let's not dwell.
Our Hoosierland weather for today bring is increasingly cloudy skies (after a sunny start), temps rising to around 58 degrees, and the chance of a shower late tonight.
In the meantime, let's all get that hot cup of Friday Fortitude poured and parked nearby, as we see what else has been going on...
*** First out from under the bedspread is our "What the hell happens today, Bob?" feature::
OCTOBER 19 -
---It's National Kentucky Day
(good day for a mint julep)
---It's National LBGT Center Awareness Day
Geez, you can't go a single week without something regarding this...can you?)
---It's National Mammography Day
(a good practice for the ladies to get into)
---It's National Seafood Bisque Day
(it tastes much better than it looks...trust me)
*** Next up, and because we have indeed arrived at week's end, let's see what we can observe over the following 48 hours...
OCTOBER 20 -
---Saturday is National Brandied Fruit Day
(that's one way to get your vitamins and crocked at the same time)
---It's National Sweetest Day
(and I thought this came around in June)
---It's National Youth Confidence Day
(I have confidence in them as long as they have confidence in themselves first)
OCTOBER 21 -
---Sunday is National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day
(like to try this just out of curiosity)
---It's National Reptile Awareness Day
(wouldn't want any for a pet, though)
And there we go then...enough things to keep you occupied and off the streets.
Just always remember to observe responsibly.
*** Next, it would see that we're back to normal on the SOUTH side of the city, and starting this weekend off with a BANG! (or several).
This will most like become homicide #37. Here's the story:
http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/police-fire/20181019/Man-shot-to-death-sitting-in-car-84
This took place in the 4500 block of Wayne Ave (slightly southwest and near Foster Park) around 1945 hrs. last evening.
A man was found shot to death inside a car. The engine was still running.
Police believe this was a targeted shooting.
Neighbors thought the house might be a rental (as they didn't know the people living at the house), but the Southwood Park Neighborhood Association does NOT permit rentals.
Well, THERE'S the main reason MY neighborhood has become so damn craptastic over the last dozen years... I'd bet it's a "third party rental".
*** Next up,  the weekly column from Bill O'Reilly deals with MS13, Newsday and Long Island.
https://www.billoreilly.com/b/How-the-Left-Helps-the-Violent-Gang-MS-13/581177789107870188.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=staff_column
I had no idea that these cretins had infested Long Island...that's not the first place I would think of when it comes to South and Central American gangs. Guess our porous borders have more consequences than we're led to believe.
Maybe it's high time we slam the door shut down south. We've plenty of problems with the "home-grown" street gangs ithout having to deal with these vermin.
*** Next, time to stop by our "Kitten Corner"...
"I'm just holding these boxes up."
The kids had some brief runabouts, and a little time spent sucking up to Wifey and myself.
Violet spends her nights with me, while heaven knows where Gallifrey sleeps.
They do so look forward to mealtime (as do we all).
"Watching those "talking kitty" videos again?"
And, they also like to help me when I'm on the computer...sort of.
Then, it's time to watch some birds, some outdoor cats, and leaves falling.
*** Next up, it our last check in for the week with "Midnight and Whiskers"...
Our furry twosome were hear for all meals, although they were both late for lunch. I'm sure that will change when it gets REAL cold outside.
Calling him back from across the street.
And later when the sun sets, I spend a little time on the back step with them (too dark for pictures), and they get a couple treats and some head rubbing.
"The food's not out there. The food's HERE."
That sets the scene for the following morning, as they wait for their breakfast.
It's a good routine...for them as well as for me.
*** Last back to the scratching post...today marks two years since our cat Rassie passed away at home.
Same chair...
Sure, I still miss my buddy (of 20 years), and there's not a single day that I don't think of him.
Our current cats (Gallifrey and Violet) are a handful some days, but that's fine.
Keeping busy (with them) makes whatever "lonely" you feel go away for a while.
Don't get me wrong...these two are a wonderful addition to the "Fortress", and I'm so very glad to have adopted them (as they have adopted us).
Different buddy.
It's just that once in a while, I'll start to call Gallifrey "Rassie" and catch myself.
When you have a pet for two decades, there is a deep bond that time can't seem to erase, and that's okay.
Life isn't meant to be free of losses. It's meant to be remembered and cherished. There is a form of comfort in growing old together.
And, so it is with my "forever buddy". I will never forget him (or Penelope for that matter).
Maybe a couple sad songs, a reading of the Rainbow Bridge, and looking at some photos from times past...that helps to rekindle fond memories, Now, if it causes a couple tears to be shed along the way, all the better.
You will always reside with me, and will never be forgotten.
A pretty good legacy for a feline, if you ask me.
Do have yourselves a good weekend.
Be well, make a difference to someone today, and as always...
Stay SAFE out there, America.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Damn, I did miss Friday... Not sure how I did that, but this Friday/Saturday was certainly a good candidate for it...

Christmas ads- just waiting for the space to be cleared by the for/against Joe Donnely ads. Mike Braun is an idiot- he puts Joe's face out there more than Joe does!


Years ago, I used to have fun with Sweetest Day. Haven't remembered it in years...


Is that an lgbt lizard I am to be aware of? Might need to be a chameleon to get the rainbow effect...


I hope you will apply the comment on the Hobo post for Rassie, too. Don't feel bad about name switches though- I'm known to call Scrappy "KC"...

So Friday was recovery from our "Employee bonding" afternoon at work. I got to judge a chili cook off and watched a cornhole game; along with using the Time Machine catch phrase this week ("Bozo Bozo Bozo") as the day's catch phrase.

Saturday the kids came over for some "adult bonding". They are back to getting along. I had told KC, "You can be blessed if you stay together, or if you break up, but only if your choices are God's will." IDK if it's God's will, but I am glad for them and the babies.

Bob G. said...

Chris:
---LOL. Some weekend are like that.
---Yeah, those politicos know HOW to spoil upcoming holiday ads (months in advance), don't they?
---A sweet day is every one I wake up to .
---Better NOT be an LGBT lizard...had my fill of such nonsense for the next 10 years.
---I will apply that comment (for every pet that has gone before me).
You call Scrappy by your SON'S name?? Yikes!
---I think you should make that "triple Bozo" into something they can use in the Olympics...heh.
---Yeah, bonding is good (even without Gorilla glue), and staying together for the RIGHT reasons reaps many rewards further down the road, but it has to be in God's time and on His terms to make it all work.

Thanks for swinging by to comment.
Stay safe up there, brother.